Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 or Xbox?

Options
  • 21-09-2004 5:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Ok, let me get one thing straight, im sick of hearing people argueing over whats the better console PS2 or Xbox. Its obvious that Xbox excedes in graphics, but let me explain as to why Ps2 is better.

PS2 is what, 6 years old and the Xbox only a year so Microsoft had 5 years to fiddle around with playstations technology and attempt to create something better and they achieved that, but only just. Lets face it the Xbox isnt much better in terms of graphics, I expected something out of this world after 5 years and the custom soundtracks is just a novelty that wears of after a while. As for the joypad, the less said about that the better.
    the Xbox will eventualy die with the arrival of PS3, they beat all consoles in their long life, Sega died thanks to PS, nintendo crumbled at its knees although Nintendo doesnt like taking risks, they just stick with Mario cos it sells and thats all they want.
    The Xbox is not a 3rd generation console its in the same class as PS2, yet 5 years younger. Xbox2 will just impove on the Xbox a little whereas PS3 will improve on it a lot.
    What PS2 lacks in graphics it more then makes up for it in terms of games. You can count the amount of AAA games for the Xbox on one hand: Halo, Project Gotham, Splinter Cell...eh what else?!
    Whereas PS2 has tones: GTA, MGS2, GT3, Burnout,Final Fantasy X, TimeSplitter 2, Medal of Honour, Splinter Cell, ManHunt, The Getaway, Driver 3, Ico... the list goes on and on.
    My point is why go mad for Halo when you've got Timeslitters 2 or Medal of Honour? Why go mad for Project Gotham Racing when you've got Burnout and Gran Turismo? Why Splinter Cell on Xbox when you have Splinter Cell and MGS2 and soon MGS3 on the PS2?!
    I know you can argue with me by saying 'Xbox is just new give it a chance to get some good games together', but by that time PS3 will be here and PS2 will have even more AAA games. Its a race that Microsoft just cant win.
    I've got nothing against XBox, i'm just stating the hard facts and the fact remains that PS2 is winning the console battle. (i hate calling it that)

So if you want great graphics but a limited amount of games get an Xbox however if you want slightly worse graphics but loads of good games then PS2 is the console for you.
    I've probably just created a lot of enemies with this debate, but anyone who is offended or who prefers Xbox will probably realize that i've got a good point.
    FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO COULDNT BE BOTHERED TO READ SUCH A LONG THREAD, HERE IS THE SHORT VERSION:
    XBOX IS 5 YEARS NEWER THEN PS2 AND WITH THE WAY TECHNOLOGY IS ADVANCING IT SHOULD BE MUCH BETTER THEN WHAT IT IS.

Which do you prefer? 18 votes

PS2
    0% 0 votes
    XBox
    100% 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

"DieHardGamer"? should change your name to "PS2 fanboy" or something as catchy...

You forgot the GameCube in your list (que "GC is 4 teh k1dd13$" comment) - you even forgot the Atari Jaguar!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

You can count the amount of AAA games for the Xbox on one hand: Halo, Project Gotham, Splinter Cell...eh what else?!
    Whereas PS2 has tones: GTA, MGS2, GT3, Burnout,Final Fantasy X, TimeSplitter 2, Medal of Honour, Splinter Cell, ManHunt, The Getaway, Driver 3, Ico... the list goes on and on.

One point I have to make is that all the PS2 games you mentioned (sans Final Fantasy X, Grand Turismo 3 and Ico) are also on the Xbox. Unfair comparison also, as the Xbox definetly more commendable games than Halo, Project Gotham Racing and Splinter Cell.
    My point is why go mad for Halo when you've got Timeslitters 2 or Medal of Honour? Why go mad for Project Gotham Racing when you've got Burnout and Gran Turismo? Why Splinter Cell on Xbox when you have Splinter Cell and MGS2 and soon MGS3 on the PS2?!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yeah that's nice and all, but really, who cares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

AAA games for the Xbox on one hand: Halo, Project Gotham, Splinter Cell...eh what else?!

Splinter cell, MOH, manhunt, driver 3, TS2, burnout MGS2 and gta are all on the xbox if you didnt know.

And more importantly, who cares?
    People buy consoles based on thier own opinions, not some fanboys ramblings.
    Tbh i could care less whats out on consoles (the only one i care about anymore is the GC) when pc games outclass console games almost every time .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I hate threads like this. I hate fanboys. I like games, not consoles. I can't see any future in this thread other than people tearing apart the original post. If you were a real Die Hard Gamer you'd have all the popular consoles, including the Atari Jaguar and a spanking PC rig with spankiest possible graphics card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

i have both of em, but prefere the xbox, graphically its better. If a game comes out on ps2 and xbox, i buy the xbox one cos the graphics will be better - thats all. I actually like the xbox controller...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

What i cant believe is that he actually mentioed Medal of honour as a game that is one of the best fr the console. jesus! how does he know xbox 2 will only just improve a little and ps3 will be miles better. he doesnt. sony have good marketing, thats why fools like this fool buy the playstation. they dont fully play any other consoles so they are automatically crap. gamecube has some of the best games ever, forget Mario, I dont like him. but youve got metroid prime baby!!!! Viewtiful joe!!!! tales of symphonia on its way. pikmin 2!!!! and who can forget that new beautiful Zelda on it's way. and let us not forget the gore fest that is RESIDENT EVIL 4! Playstation is behind in every way! give me any other cosole before the ps2. if it didnt have san andreas coming I wouldnt want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Neither. I <3 my GameCube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 DieHardGamer

You all made very good points and arguements and im not dissin Xbox in the slightest, im just defending PS2 cos its underrated, almost every reply was about the games and Yes most of the games are on the Xbox as well, but nobody commented on the fact that PS2 is 5 years older, Xbox should be way better then what it is, 5 years is a long time in technology, (a new and better PC comes out every month, yet you dont hear about anyone comparing PCs). I own an Xbox, GC and PS2 by the way and i still prefer the PS2, graphics isnt everything. The reason why i started this debate is cos i hate them and wanted to get it solved, comparing Xbox with PS2 is like comparing Pentium 3 with pentium 4, they are completly different. Its whatever you feel most comfortable with that most important.
    As for the Gamecube, c'mon thats for 10 year olds.
    (oops, i've just made more enemies with that comment)
    Im a gamer and i love my games, i dont care what anyone else thinks of PS2, thats their opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Am i reading this right ? your agument against the xbox is that all though its better than the ps2 it should be even better and this is why you dont like it ? thats just mad ted

also
    PC comes out every month, yet you dont hear about anyone comparing PCs).

Pc parts come out every few months and they are compared to death

God everyone is so hostile in here! Thats not my argument, what im saying is that microsoft had 5 years to come up with something good and if the Xbox is the best that they can do then im not impressed. Ps2 came out just 4 years after the PS1 and its way better then ps1, yet Xbox is not way better then PS2, only slightly in terms of graphics. God i wish i never started this debate now. Cant we all just get along as fellow gamers??!!!

Xbox is better in terms of graphics and there is no denying that, but PS2 has more going for it, you cant honestly say that you prefer the Xbox' joypad to the PS2s, PS2 has better marketing, the Playstation name is more known then Xbox, if a console is being used in films you wont see Xbox but Playstation, i heard on the radio today that 33% of irish homes have a PS2 thats a hell of a lot. Playstation is out selling Xbox, not just because its better marketed but because people know and trust playstation, they had PS1 for years without breaking down, its just more reliable.
    Please dont hate me, im just a gamer like you :(

The new flat ps2 looks cool, wheres the flat Xbox??!!!!!!

You know what, who gives a sh*t whats better, they are both brilliant consoles, to each their own. Game on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

use the edit button ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

DieHardGamer you just gave me an errection ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

The PS2 joypad destroyed my sex life.

Anyone think this guy is Kevo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Xbox is better in terms of graphics and there is no denying that, but PS2 has more going for it, you cant honestly say that you prefer the Xbox' joypad to the PS2s, PS2 has better marketing, the Playstation name is more known then Xbox, if a console is being used in films you wont see Xbox but Playstation, i heard on the radio today that 33% of irish homes have a PS2 thats a hell of a lot. Playstation is out selling Xbox, not just because its better marketed but because people know and trust playstation, they had PS1 for years without breaking down, its just more reliable.
    Please dont hate me, im just a gamer like you :(

Oh man how lame, dont cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

PS2 has better marketing, the Playstation name is more known then Xbox, if a console is being used in films you wont see Xbox but Playstation, i heard on the radio today that 33% of irish homes have a PS2 thats a hell of a lot. Playstation is out selling Xbox, not just because its better marketed but because people know and trust playstation, they had PS1 for years without breaking down, its just more reliable.

Because better marketing = better games on the console? What?

Also, Microsoft have created a pretty well-known brand from scratch in five years in a hotly contested market. Sony created it's brand over nearly twice that time in a market that was crying out for a big name brand at the time. The brand recognition of the PS2 in no way reflects the difference in quality of games between that and the XBox.

More reliable? Ha. The PS2 dvd drive is dodgier than something really dodgy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Ah give the kid a break, hes obviously a ps2 fanboy, but that can change. i too was a fanboy at first!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭NocturnalDonkey

PS2 came out in 2000, and the Xbox came out in 2001.

How is that 5 years betweeen consoles?????

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The Playstation brand was around for (more than) 5 years before the launch of the XBox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

It's like the age old argument , "Daddy or chips", in the end you'll always go for the chips.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

What is the point in arguing for one or the other.
    The only people that care are people that do not own either one. And may be interested in getting one.
    Most people here either have one or have made a choice to spend their hard earned cash on improving the best gaming platform available : The PC.

Those of us that do own a console have already made their choice. You are not going to convince me (an xbox owner) that i should sell the xbox and buy a PS2.
    I have 20 games down there that i consider to be great games. I don't care if you like them or not. I bought the xbox for a few reasons. Its the top of the line in terms of technology in consoles, and its got four ports on the front and does nto require memory cards.
    There's plenty wrong with it, but i've made my choice. and i'm happy with and there isn't anything you can say that will change my mind.
    Oh and although you beleive that MS had five years to improve technology and they didn't do it well enough, well its one thing putting up to date modern technology into a console, its another thing making it affordable for the target audience of late teens and early 20s.
    you find me all the technology available thats good for games today this minute and put it something selling for under €200 and i'll agree with you..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I likes ARMADILLOS!

Spongebob is cool

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

More reliable? Ha. The PS2 dvd drive is dodgier than something really dodgy.

I second that. Had enough trouble with the dodgy dvd drive. It costs the same as a new PS2 console to get a new laser and fitting for a version 5 PS2.

The xbox is built like a brick ****house at an indian restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

My xbox also acts as body armour when im walking around town :D

• Advertisement

My xbox also acts as body armour when im walking around town :D

I use mine to anchor a small boat out in Howth

There's a whole other tread in this , "Other uses for your console !!"

Advertisement