Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 2 redesigned (PStwo)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

And heres me just after buying one.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

'PlayStation 2' Gets Slimmer Look

Sony Computer Entertainment announced today its plans for the global release of a new, redesigned PS2 in time for the year-end peak-selling season. The new model will be in stores on November 3 in Japan, and by November 1 in Europe and North America.

While inheriting the basic functions and design philosophy of the current PlayStation 2, the internal design architecture of the new model has been completely overhauled, resulting in a slimmer and more lightweight form. Internal volume has been reduced by 75 percent, overall weight has been halved, and thickness trimmed down to 2.8 cm (thickness of current model is 7.8 cm). Its size is almost as small as a hardcover book, making it easier to carry around and enjoy games and DVD videos anytime, anywhere.

Equipped with an integrated Ethernet port for network gaming, the new PlayStation 2 sets new standards in the fusion of design and functionality and will enable the company to maintain market momentum as it expands its online console gaming community, the largest in North America with more than 1.4 million users. Approximately 40 percent of North American PlayStation 2 online gamers use dial-up connections and to satisfy this base, the North American model is equipped with both Ethernet and modem ports.

During the year-end peak-selling season about 80 online game titles are expected to be available in Japan, with 120 titles and 65 titles respectively in North America and Europe. With the launch of the new network-ready PlayStation 2, the company expects to continually expand the world of online gaming in this generation.

"The introduction of the new PlayStation 2 is part of our long-term vision for the platform," said Jack Tretton, executive vice president, Sony Computer Entertainment America. "We are pleased to bring the sleek, redesigned product to market in time for the holiday season, and expect consumer enthusiasm for the new model to translate into robust sales. As the market leader, with an existing installed base of more than 27 million PlayStation 2 units in North America alone, we will continue to provide solutions that expand our consumer base and grow the category as a whole."

Gaining an overwhelming support from a wide range of users from all over the world, more than 72 million units of PlayStation 2 have been shipped as of today. Strongly supported by software developers and publishers, PlayStation 2 is indisputably the most popular computer entertainment system and the new design will position it for even greater success over the next half of its life.

Big pic.

http://www.eurogamer.net/assets/articles/a56661/consolebox.jpg

And its a top loader...

0130461946171236.JPG

External PSU is one of the reasons its soooo small.

sce03.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For christs sake. Its still looks like the love child of the unholy union of a radiator and an early 80's CD player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

here here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

it looks hideous. when i heard the news i was hoping for something more along the lines of a complete design overhaul, like the PSone did. that toploader... fcukin hell, why would you want one??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭HerrLipp

Any news on whether there'll be a PS3? Or are they now moving away from gaming and into DVD market?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Roar wrote:
    it looks hideous. when i heard the news i was hoping for something more along the lines of a complete design overhaul, like the PSone did. that toploader... fcukin hell, why would you want one??
    PS2 FreeLoader anyone?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

HerrLipp wrote:
    Any news on whether there'll be a PS3? Or are they now moving away from gaming and into DVD market?
    At the moment the PS3, and Nintendo’s next console, are expected in 2006. While the Xbox 2 is rumoured to be released around Christmas 2005… all unofficially – corrections are welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Whats the point of makeing it smaller and turning it into a top loaded. It will now need more space than the PS2 for the lid to open. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

HerrLipp wrote:
    haha.
    yeah. i'm sure they'll just hand over the multi-billion dollar console market to nintendo and ms...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

ps3 is slowly becoming more and more of a public thing. we'll be given the first "official" information next May at E3, though we already know it'll have a hard drive, online capabilities built-in utilise cell technology and blu-ray with the processing capabilities of 100 PC's stuck together.

I'm pretty sure they dropped the cell technology and the blu-ray from the PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Retr0gamer wrote:
    For christs sake. Its still looks like the love child of the unholy union of a radiator and an early 80's CD player.
    Baddabing. True too.
    Ciaran500 wrote:
    Whats the point of makeing it smaller and turning it into a top loaded. It will now need more space than the PS2 for the lid to open. :confused:
    Yup. Annoying if you like to stack things and have your telly stuff neatly in the coener (as I have recently). I suppose they save a few quid on manufacturing by turning it into a toploader but I doubt the savings are all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

HerrLipp wrote:

What do you mean moving into the dvd market?
    The playstation isn't the be all and end all of Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hi all. Recently I saw on Bravo a nifty little DJ program. Cr*p program, but it involved an internal PS2 Harddrive that you could record stuff onto. It mentioned hard drive and not save disk(I know it was internal, as I saw the dude taking the hard drive out of the PS2. It looked like 2 inches, by 2 or 3 inches big). This was shown in Japan, somewhere. It was shown coming out of a big black PS2. Is this in normal PS2's, or would this be a new feature?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

How much is this little fart gonna cost?

The space left for the harddrive for the PS2 is one of the reasons the orginal PS2 was so large - it was never relaeced in europe.
    Ciaran500 wrote:
    I'm pretty sure they dropped the cell technology and the blu-ray from the PS3.

TODAY: PlayStation 3 will use Blu-Ray discs - confirmed
    http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=4534

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

the_syco wrote:
    Hi all. Recently I saw on Bravo a nifty little DJ program. Cr*p program, but it involved an internal PS2 Harddrive that you could record stuff onto. It mentioned hard drive and not save disk(I know it was internal, as I saw the dude taking the hard drive out of the PS2. It looked like 2 inches, by 2 or 3 inches big). This was shown in Japan, somewhere. It was shown coming out of a big black PS2. Is this in normal PS2's, or would this be a new feature?

Aren't they meant to be bringing out a souped up PS2, which will be basically called an entertainment centre? It will have TiVo abilities, and so a hard disc will feature, as well as other stuff which has completely slipped my mind at the moment.
    Or did I miss something?

flogen

The PStwo will cost £99 on release.

Its already out, its called the PSX.

Sony-PSX.jpg

"around €159" - SCE IE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Ciaran500 wrote:
    The PStwo will cost £99 on release.

Its already out, its called the PSX.

Sony-PSX.jpg
    :boggle:
    yeah, that must be the new "slimmer" model that everybody is talking about:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

to answer the question posted earlier here`s a link to a list of 577 different hard drives you can fit to the ps2 http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/

Advertisement