Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very general Broadband question

• 21-09-2004 9:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi all.
    Forgive me if this thread is very basic, but i've done my research and I know that the opinion of an actual user group is always valuable :)

A friend (to be known herein as Jim) and I are getting broadband between us. The way it will work (or at least we hope it will work) is that Jim (a.ka. the friend) will get Eircom telephone line installed, a broadband package and a wireless router. I shall then get a wireless adapter and we shall both share the connection.
    Jim and I both know how to set this up, and have worked the last few years in an ISP that deals with broadband in the UK.
    But since Ireland is so different, I would absolutely love to get some feedback from you guys.
    Basically, we want a connection suitable for XBox Live and the occasional *ahem* download.

So what, in your opinion, is the best (and cheapest service provider) available that you'd reccomend?
    Anything from 512K onwards would do!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

512 is as far as it goes here m8, unless ur one of the lucky ones who live in the slowly growing area of the capital that ntl have deemed worthy of faster broadband ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

UTV is the cheapest, but reportedly not the best for gaming. Esat/IOL would be next up.

well all i can say bout gaming with utv is that i can can rarely think of many occasions where i had problems play xbox online, and i can count on one hand the amount of times i have had enought lag etc to stop me from playing. how it will cope with 2 or more xbox's thought i dont know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you can get it, I would recommend you go for NTL's package. Otherwise, as the guy above me said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

UTV is NOT the chepest if you happen to live in Killkenny,Clonmel,or Thurles,where you can get it for just 29.95 per month with Chours.
    Chours Cablenet Broadband www.chours.ie/cablenet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

UTV is NOT the chepest if you happen to live in Killkenny,Clonmel,or Thurles,where you can get it for just 29.95 per month with Chours.
    If you say so. Frankly NTL smoke the competition 1.5Mb for €50 a month? ye you can use Chorus if you want but I'll keep praying for NTL to wake up and upgrade my area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Chours Cablenet Broadband www.chorus.ie/cablenet
    Wow - a whole 4c per month cheaper!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Ripwave wrote:
    Wow - a whole 4c per month cheaper!

:)

which is 48c per year so you could say they give a free stamp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭BravoGolf

Hey guys (and gals).
    Thanks for the repsonse :)

Connection would be in Waterford :D
    I'll check out NTL and see what their coverage/connection is like.

Thanks again.

ntl are only dublin i think.

• Advertisement

BravoGolf wrote:
    Connection would be in Waterford :D
    I'll check out NTL and see what their coverage/connection is like.
    NTL have a cable franchise somewhere in Waterford, but I don't think they're doing Cable Broadband down there just yet. (http://www.electricnews.net/news.html?code=9414408)

If you're close enough to Dungarvan, there might be something here for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭BravoGolf

Darn.
    No NTL Cable in Waterford at the moment, and CableSurf is too far away.

I guess it's a choice between Esat, IOL and Eircom then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

ahemm..ye cant be saying its only 4c cheaper then ntl i suppose ye mean cause eircom is wayyyy dearer,compard to eircom chours is much cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 j26

I'm down in Waterford and the IOL regularly keeps up a sustainable 60-70k per second (just downloaded a 2meg file in about 45 seconds - just to see). Works fine for me and it has a much bigger cap than Eircom, plus 3 months free trial and a fourth free if you actually do take up the subscription.

ahemm..ye cant be saying its only 4c cheaper then ntl i suppose ye mean cause eircom is wayyyy dearer,compard to eircom chours is much cheaper
    Eircom? People who get their broadband from eircom either don't know any better, or have more money than sense. Either way, they're not going to be impressed by Chorus.

UTV Clicksilver is only €29.99/month. That's only 4c dearer than Chorus.

Advertisement