Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sexism alive and well in the Examiner.

• 21-09-2004 10:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Class!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I want the 5 seconds i wasted looking at that back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

me too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Good spot!!! :D I know it's only a small thing but that's the sort of small petty sexism that nealy always escapes under the rader....it's like saying "black safety officer" innit!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

so what....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

this is what happens when you let women into the workplace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

So what? Would this have been sexism if they said "male safety officer"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

If we want to get hung up on symantics... the article also stated that three women fled the building. :rolleyes:
    The owner of the hair salon is female... the manager of the local Spar is a man.
    Male/female survivors/witnessess... male/female safety officers what's the difference?
    What we have here is a report of the FACTS!!! That's the purpose of newspapers... isn't it??

No one was hurt... that's the main thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think the point of saying "female safety officer" from the tone was that the reporter was talking to some undentified person who happened to be female.
    It's all part of personalising the text. In the abscence of names or any ID, the reporter uses a basic description to add humanity to a character in the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

If we want to get hung up on symantics... the article also stated that three women fled the building. :rolleyes:
    The owner of the hair salon is female... the manager of the local Spar is a man.
    Male/female survivors/witnessess... male/female safety officers what's the difference?
    What we have here is a report of the FACTS!!! That's the purpose of newspapers... isn't it??

No one was hurt... that's the main thing!
    well said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

plazzTT wrote:
    So what? Would this have been sexism if they said "male safety officer"?

That's not the point. They wouldn't have mentioned the gender if it was a bloke (or if there was no accident).

I'm male myself but I found this funny. Mostly because it's a bit sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

They did mention the MALE manager of the local Spar shop... how is that sexist.

I repeat again... the reporter wrote about the facts as they were at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

isn't on-site hyphenated, the proximity of the only error in the piece to the word female is disturbing, perhaps trying to subliminally infer womens inferiority ?

But they mentioned him by name...i think the use of "female" was unneccessary to describe the "safety officer". They didn't mention the sex of the gardai or the other safety workers. Couldn't be arsed explaining this further...
    Perhaps Seamus is right: perhaps it was just a poor attempt at personalising the text...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Nah, he's saying she knocked it, the incompetent cow. And that she should have been in the salon gossiping and getting her upper lip waxed, not wearing a mans uniform.

It's all there, just read between the lines people.

isn't on-site hyphenated, the proximity of the only error in the piece to the word female is disturbing, perhaps trying to subliminally infer womens inferiority ?

LOL....That's the only rational explaination....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

impr0v wrote:
    Nah, he's saying she knocked it, the incompetent cow. And that she should have been in the salon gossiping and getting her upper lip waxed, not wearing a mans uniform.

Heh, you're saying what we were all thinking....

No, actually he named the SPAR shop owner and also the salon owner.

It seems pretty clear to me that there was no reason to mention the gender of the safety officer other than to deride her. Other than of course some half-arsed attempt at personalising the article.

Can you imagine him writing 'while a male safety officer on site refused to comment'?

It would look bloody stupid.

impr0v wrote:

LOL but in essence... yes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Actually, in this example on site shouldn't be hyphenated. It should be hyphenated if it was been used as a compound adjective, such as the on-site safety worker. However, if you're saying "female safety worker on site" you don't need to hyphenate. I just checked this up with the grammar expert beside me to confirm it (he's a proof reader so he knows what he's talking about)....

As to the point, I think it's a bad case of trying to personalize the story...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

...so let me get this straight: the crazy, hormonal, female safety officer was trying to park her car, when she knocked over a crane and destroyed a beauty saloon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Zzzzzzzzzz

Someome sponsor me not to commit suicide...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Oh my god.. They said "female".. Its a new low for me..

**** off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

So who wants to join my Feminazi plot to bomb the Examiner's printing press? And why is it Exa"min"er and not Exa"womin"er anyway?

Pay attention and you'l notice that newspapers often specify people's gender for no apparent reason, if it's not to fill space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

The female poster has a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Jesus some people need to come off the pc tablets their takeing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Yes, it's sexism - it's an unconscious sexism that treats women as a subspecies of the (truly male) human race. Not meant to be derisive, but it is so. It's like those reports about "A man and his wife in his car were attacked..." - everything's in relation to the male. Alas. Ah well, this too shall pass.

Advertisement