Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Between the lines

• 21-09-2004 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭

v. Good article in the media guardian yesterday* about understanding and reading the media, article is online here (requires free registration)
    Reporting is now so contaminated by bias and campaigning, and general mischief, that no reader can hope to get a picture of what is happening without first knowing who owns the paper, and who it is being published for. The Mirror defines its politics as the opposite of the Sun's, which in turn is defined by the geopolitics of Rupert Murdoch's News International - hostile to European federalism and the euro and so forth.

and
    Even when you read the same paper every day, be aware that reporters are now less embarrassed to let the bias show. This is rarely direct party-political bias, but you may find that a columnist is favourably inclined towards one politician

are two excellent quotes, think I'll pick up the book

* anyone who posts here should really pick up the media guardian on every monday.

mycroft

PS Walking into work this morning at half nine I encountered Dunphy walking home after finishing work. Hmmmm something wrong with this situation :rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Some sound advice there alright.

Must keep an eye out for the media guardian myself.

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Do it had remarkable opinion and coverage during the Kelly case and hutton inquiry, and provides the best indepth media anaylsis available.

And FFS sake it's only 80cents cheaper the the Indo and Times.

I've given up reading Irish papers because you kept spotting either sourced for the Guardian service/ or reteurs under half the articles.

That and I want to drown Mark Steryn in cat piss

Advertisement