Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women Golfers

• 21-09-2004 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

What do you think about women Golfers? Are they welcomed on Golf courses? Are they treated with respect?. An article said that men often underestimate women’s skills on the fairways and overestimate their own. http://www.golfinstruction.com/features/women-golf-debate-682.htm
    I disagree. I am sure such feudal mentality doesn’t exist or only it’s only an exception that proves the rule.
    We have come a long way from the dark ages. I want to know what all you guys think? Do you think (like me) that it is all brouhaha about nothing? Mountain being made out of a molehill? Please let me know your views

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Women are great, but women golfers should have their own golf clubs, where only women are allowed join. And leave the men alone.

But of course they wont. They cant keep away from us, dragging on our coattails, holding us back and delaying us. And then moaning about it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭iasc

it just seems to be women over the age of 60 start to play the game
    its so annoying when ur stuick behind a gorup of 3 oul ones, especially if they dont let ya play through, it's worse on public courses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

They never let you play through. Its as if they are driving. They never see whats coming up behind them and never let them pass.

It is definitely worse at the public course in Limerick than anywhere else. At least clubs will have specific times and days set out for them.

As for the skills, most women I have seen play wouldnt be great but I have seen a few good players. I am in a society through work and played a few times with women who arent bad and certainly werent slow. On the other hand I have played with a few guys who were just terrible and have been stuck behind other lady society members who have been very slow and wont let you play through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Don't women have lighter balls ? , maybe this is why men have this perception of them having less skills on the fairways .

I find over 60's women on pitch and putt courses always let you play through .

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

Well im a lady and i've been playing golf for the last 2 years.im only 22 and in my club they are only delighted for women to join.at first i was nervous really as most of the women are well into the 40/50's so instead i regularly play witht the men and they have no complaints. there is no doubt alot of the women are bags but we're not all that bad!there are a few who actually want to play golf and play it well (and not hold up people!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Id say women would have just as much finesse on the golf course as men!With practice of course!....The only thing is they would lack having the same power!.....I for one wouldnt have objections to women being on the course as more than likely they are all better than me!.....Im only on the verge of starting out though! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Well im a lady and i've been playing golf for the last 2 years.im only 22 and in my club they are only delighted for women to join.at first i was nervous really as most of the women are well into the 40/50's so instead i regularly play witht the men and they have no complaints. there is no doubt alot of the women are bags but we're not all that bad!there are a few who actually want to play golf and play it well (and not hold up people!)

Unfortunately you're the exception rather than the rule. I've played with women in work and elsewhere and they're fine to play with. It's when you have a group of auld ones in front of you it's a nightmare. They take forever and never call you through.

Can be worse being ahead of them sometimes. They don't seem to know what "fore" means. I was playing in Dublin City GC a while back and found myself in the rough to the left of the 6th. 3 women were coming up 5 (a dogleg) and one of them hit a fairly decent shot ... right towards my head. If I hadn't been watching her take her shot it would have hit me. Not a word of warning from her (or an apology when she got closer!). Anyhoo I saw her ball go into a bush and enjoyed watching her search for it for a few minutes and then have to declare it lost :D . If she'd even apologised I would have told her where it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

She probably couldnt see that far. Probably just a big green blur where she thinks the ball is gone. :D

I go golfing with my Da and he nevers wears his glasses. I keep having to point out his ball to him and he would probably play better if he wore a pair.

bucks73 wrote:
    She probably couldnt see that far. Probably just a big green blur where she thinks the ball is gone. :D

When I said "fairly decent shot" I meant about 70 or 80 yards ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

The only thing is they would lack having the same power!.....

Its not so much about power. Accuracy is more important INMO. I've played with a women who's swing has no power behind it but her techniqe is supurb. Always hits the fairway and as a result never ran into to many problems. To quote Roy Keane "At the end of the day like" there are good golfers, and bad golfers with no etiquette. The gender of the person isn't an issue with me.

• Advertisement

ding wrote:
    Sex isn't an issue for me. I think those days are gone hopefully.

We're still talking about golf right? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

If they just kept moving between shots thats no problem. Sure take your time over your shot but move in between shots, and NO the green is not the spot to stand up, look back the fairway inquisitivly counting back how many swings you took over the ball in the rough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

:o Humm! I just read that after I posted and wondered how long it would take someone to point that one out. Ok let me rephrase that. "The gender of the person isn't an issue with me." Rest of post deleted. I will refrain from bragging about my manliness. ;)

gerire wrote:
    If they just kept moving between shots thats no problem. Sure take your time over your shot but move in between shots, and NO the green is not the spot to stand up, look back the fairway inquisitivly counting back how many swings you took over the ball in the rough.

In fairness that's not restricted to women. I was playing in a society outing last year with 2 guys from my sports club. They were having a little chat walking down most fairways, which is fine. But they continued them while standing over their balls! I eventually had to tell them to play then talk not the other way around. We'd lost a full hole on the group in front of us. Fortunately the group behind were slower than us so we weren't holding anyone up but I was getting more and more frustrated waiting for these two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 stripes_333

Women have no sense of direction anyway, let alone in a game of golf!!!

Do the majority of clubs let them join?!

well i think women should be allowed play with clubs. for god sake what centuary are we in! i know there are the ones who are not one bit interested and just go out for a natter but in case men dont realise it there are a good few women who actually enjoy golf. i started off as a 27 handicapper and now i play of 12 and that was just over a year ago. i love my golf on a sunady morning and i try and during the summer when the enevings were long i played 3 or 4 times a week. not cause i wanted to see things or people but pure for the fact i enjoy it.there arre plenty women in my club who play off like a 100 but still there are a good few who can play the game. give us a chance for god sake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

12 is very good Karen.

Of course if I could tee-off from up near the green like you can, I'd be off 9 or 10.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 stripes_333

I think only the crap male players are against women golfers becasue they feel a bit threatened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,609 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

women golfers at my club any way are fair slow going around 18 holes all they do is gossip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,236 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

i love my golf on a sunady morning and i try and during the summer when the enevings were long i played 3 or 4 times a week. not cause i wanted to see things or people but pure for the fact i enjoy it.!
    Are you a full member or do you have the choice?
    Would you pay full whack for full membership?
    Do you think its unfair that men dont have the option of being Associates (at a reduced rate)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,236 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

12 is very good Karen.

Of course if I could tee-off from up near the green like you can, I'd be off 9 or 10.

:D
    Booo, Hisss :P

i am a full member and am glad to pay full membership because i enjoy playing golf. i play mainly with the men anyway as i enjoy it more as all the women out there are annoying. the only time difference with me and them is the tees. its all the same to me where i hit from as i can hit the ball a good distance (and am better with irons than woods!). i just think there are alot of women who actually enjoy the game and should be allowed play it. i mean alot of people like soccer and some play it even if the are not going to be brilliant but do it cause they enjoy it. same goes with golf

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Wigertoods

and NO the green is not the spot to stand up, look back the fairway inquisitivly counting back how many swings you took over the ball in the rough

LOL

How often have we seen this
    And not necessarily by women golfers !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Ciaran_Dub

My god what century are we living in, women golfers have as much right to be on a course as men do. For all the begrudgers about women nattering and gossiping on a golf course and standing on greens marking cards I have witnessed many more men then women doing this sort of thing. I regularly play with a group of both men and women where at least two of the men you have to tell them where their ball went because they cant see beyond the forward tees (and in some cases cant even hit past them). In this group my mother plays, she is very small 5 foot nothing so she doesnt hit the ball very far but my god can she hit it straight and rarely misses the fairway (I would gladly lose half my distance to hit it so straight) and certainly doesnt hold anyone up.

Another point on women not calling others through men are as guilty of this too. I again have been caught behind groups where there was a flat out refusal by the group to call us through and that was even when a 2 ball was in front of ourselves (a 3 ball) and still kept up with them.

As for the tee boxes used by women. These now are not always referred to as ladies tees they are also known as the forward tees which are also used by junior golfers. As for membership fees I dont believe there should be any distinction or discount or special tee times for women.

Lets get with the times golf is a social sport. Its there to meet new people with a common interest (tearing our hair out while we try and get a little small white ball in a hole). All the issues/gripes raised about women on a golf course, male golfers are bigger offenders in my book, ie slow play, not calling groups through.

Karen fair play too you for getting out there amongst the men, Im sure you probably show one or two of them up and show them how it is done. I for one would love to see more females (preferably younger then my mother) out on the golf course. Might give some of you guys with gripes about waiting behind slow golfers to look at while waiting to take your shot. Keep on swinging (and no smart answers to that) Karen and keep on enjoying it.

Cheers Ciaran thanks a million. Nice to know there are men who want to see women on the course!

All you can do is enjoy it and if you dont have that what is the point in playing!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Ciaran_Dub

Thats exactly it Karen we all grumble and moan about our games and when asked how did we do we all say "ah crap defiantely could have done better" but for the few hours we are out there we all enjoy and that is the main point.

So Karen where do you play? Might have to drop down and play sometime and have some nice sights to see rather then all the men. Only joking by the way....

play down in the west. wont say exactly where though. am looking to playing a few more courses coon. my highlight was when my father brought me to play the k club last year- such heaven! class course! like the ol' links though

Advertisement