Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best p4 bord for OC'ing for about €90????

Options
  • 21-09-2004 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

Im looking for a cheap board for overclocking an old 2.5 p4 chip (400mhz FSB model), I was lookin at the abit IS7-E2 from komplett, is it any good.

I need to know which is the best cheap board for overclocking this chip with watercooling??

Any1 selling a decent one for this price??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Pretty much anything would overclock that chip!! The AI7 has higher voltage settings if you really want to play arround. Other than that the IS7 should be fine for that chip (wouldnt expect too much though).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Col_Loki wrote:
    (wouldnt expect too much though).

If i put a 2.8ghz on that board (IC7) with the aquarius 2 watercooling kit and pc4300 ram, would i be able to get 3.4ghz????

How much culd i expect with that board?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Your main problem is the old 2.5ghz chip, IMO it will find it hard to break 3ghz.

With a 2.8C/E 800mhz FSB and say an IC7/AI7 you should be looking at 3.4-3.6ghz roughly with decent cooling.

The TT aquarius kits arent known to be the strongest kits TBH, mabye better off with a Thermalright Heatsink(possibly the huge SP120 and a 120mm fan?) .

The IC7/AI7 shouldnt restrict your overclock, you will most lightly hit the cpu limit than the mobo's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

It cant be noisey though, what are the Thermalright SP120's like, noisey?? cool? Where do they sell them? i havnt seen them around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

the SP120's are just heatsinks. you buy your own fan for it. see jesus_thas_gre thread about his one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Col_Loki wrote:
    With a 2.8C/E 800mhz FSB and say an IC7/AI7 you should be looking at 3.4-3.6ghz roughly with decent cooling

Sound ballpark figures :)
    gline wrote:
    It cant be noisey though

You should be able to reach that without too much noise using the Thermalright with a silent big fan or a Zalman 7000 even in fairly quiet mode

The TT aquarius 2 will deliver that for you to, but noise will be higher on this H20 solution than on above air :eek:

If you want to go H20, do it properly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I can get my 2.8 to 3.6 stable with WC.... can boot into windows @ 3.8. Im sure i could get it to run stable @ 3.8 with a bit more tweaking

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Im getting 3.3 out of a 2.8 with a Thermalright sp94 but the fan only has a 27CFM

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Dempsey why don't you push that further. You should be able to get at least 3.6 out of it and you have plenty of vcore overhead.

That is a Northwood right? Your safe to 1.65vcore.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

BloodBath wrote:
    Dempsey why don't you push that further. You should be able to get at least 3.6 out of it and you have plenty of vcore overhead.

That is a Northwood right? Your safe to 1.65vcore.

BloodBath

Northwood alright, are you sure about 1.65? The RAM can do 246 with Vdimm=2.7V according to websites. Ill be happy with 3.4-3.5GHz :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement