Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harry Kewell

• 21-09-2004 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭

What is the story with this guy? We all know he has bags of talent but why is is it he so seldom decides to use it? Why does he go missing for amost entire matches? Is it just that he's possibly the laziest footballer in the Premiership?

(I hope Rafa gets rid and makes a bid for Duff, at least you know you'll get 100% with Duffer. Kewell has been a bitter disappointment for LFC.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

you will get 100% with duffer alright, but only for the 20% of the season that he isnt injured. You know HK is becoming the new scapegoat ardent, leave him alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Harry Kewell - has to learn how to challenge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I've only seen him play for more than 5 minutes once since the start of the season and he looked very unfit. He didn't have any sharpness and looked wrecked for most of the match. Benitez seems to have faith in his ability so hopefully he recovers some of his form of old.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Not just last night but overall he has been a big let down.Last night
    he did nothing for the team he gave the ball away alot and looked
    lazy.I think he needs a few weeks in the reserves,but I am not sure
    if that will shake him up.

His Form Dipped Since his wife died on Emmerdale....?She obviously tiring
    our Harry out now she doesn't have much on.

But seriously he needs a kick up the arse or a kick out the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

you will get 100% with duffer alright, but only for the 20% of the season that he isnt injured. You know HK is becoming the new scapegoat ardent, leave him alone.
    I don't think Duff is as injury prone as everyone says. From September 1997 to May 2003 Duff played 185 games for Blackburn and around 30 for Ireland. Thats an average of 36 games per season. During that time he played at least once in every month of the football season other than October 2001 and February 2003. His only long term injury was his dislocated shoulder.

Duff's body is as strong, if not stronger, than the average footballer but the average footballer doesn't get fouled half as much as Duff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Muzz

eirebhoy not really the place to ask but where do you get all this USELESS information? In every thread all you do is quote statistics on players or teams? Are you just a football guru?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

kewell has been missing since he joined the pool, having only a handful of good games. needs to cop himself on !

he still needs to justify his transfer fee, and thats only 3 million

Muzz wrote:
    eirebhoy not really the place to ask but where do you get all this USELESS information? In every thread all you do is quote statistics on players or teams? Are you just a football guru?
    I won't even answer that post as I seem to remember you giving me a slating in another thread over expressing my opinion that Celtic made a "few" mistakes against Barca. Cop on for God's sake.

20% was a bit of an exaggeration alright, but it was more the point than anything else. The thing about DD is he picks up a lot of small knocks and will miss maybe two or three games, then be back and the somthing similar will happen. SG was the same for a couple of seasons but up til last night has remained injury free for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Ronan

As a Man U fan I feel so lucky that Kewell forced the move to Liverpool, lucky escape there. If he continues the way he is going (and there are no signs he will improve) then I would not be suprised if Liverpool made a move for Duff, as there is definitley bad blood between him and Mourinho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its a pity, but has'nt he been carrying a dodgy ankle for months now?

Mike.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ya we had a lucky escape! But at least "he has joined an up and coming team" :)
    He is a lazy twat

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Muzz

I wasn't slating you, a forum is for debating and i was only debating the fact that you must have watched a different match to the one that everyone else seen :s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

the answer is simple, its the club he's playing in and their lack of ambition and strength to get heavy handed with slackers.

houllier and benetiz are easy touches, its like having niall quinn as your manager, you'll get away with anything. guarantee if kewell had gone to utd we'd be seeing him perform better than he did at leeds.

liverpool ruin players rather than develope them further. their focus on defence also plays a big part. manu and arsenal have the attitude 'you wont win games if you cant score goals'. but liverpool and chelsea have the attitude, 'you wont lose games if you dont concede'.

kewell is a flair/attacking player given a defensive role and not an attacking one. a snip at only a few million but not allowed to move out of position for liverpool.

plus if he doesnt perform, he'll still be in the side because the managers at liverpool have been and are too big a wimp to drop him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Harry who ?..............................oh that bloke who used to play for Leeds , what ever happened to him anyway ? .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

smemon wrote:
    houllier and benetiz are easy touches,

Sigh, the mans been in the job 5 mins.

Mike.

smemon wrote:
    the answer is simple, its the club he's playing in and their lack of ambition and strength to get heavy handed with slackers.

houllier and benetiz are easy touches, its like having niall quinn as your manager, you'll get away with anything. guarantee if kewell had gone to utd we'd be seeing him perform better than he did at leeds.

liverpool ruin players rather than develope them further. their focus on defence also plays a big part. manu and arsenal have the attitude 'you wont win games if you cant score goals'. but liverpool and chelsea have the attitude, 'you wont lose games if you dont concede'.

kewell is a flair/attacking player given a defensive role and not an attacking one. a snip at only a few million but not allowed to move out of position for liverpool.

plus if he doesnt perform, he'll still be in the side because the managers at liverpool have been and are too big a wimp to drop him.

Hmmmm, its hard to know whether these are your opinions or you are purposely trying to start a flame war.

However i actually agree with you on a couple of points.

1) GH was an easy touch and
    2) LFC did play defensive football under him.

But RB is far from an 'easy touch'. MO had been stalling on a contract for over a year under GH, but Gerard kept saying he would sign. RB came over from spain where it was to rumoured that MO had agreed a contract in principal with madrid and told him to sign or **** off (in effect!!)

I dont think he has many other options available to him at the moment, in HK's position that it. He can play warnock there, but aside from that not too much else. When Nunez comes back from injury i dont think we will see HK in the first team unless his performance and attitude improve greatly.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The list of players who have gone to shït after joining Liverpool is endless (and I'm too lazy to even begin it :D ). On some occasions they've managed to refind their form on leaving, but for the most part it's a graveyard for talent.
    Chelsea is another black hole for up-and-comers with stars in their eyes, but I digress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

Ronan wrote:
    As a Man U fan I feel so lucky that Kewell forced the move to Liverpool, lucky escape there. If he continues the way he is going (and there are no signs he will improve) then I would not be suprised if Liverpool made a move for Duff, as there is definitley bad blood between him and Mourinho.

Bad blood
    Do you have imformation the rest of us dont

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He basically called him a wuss and won't play him in the team. There's bugger-all chance of him getting a game when Robben is back either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

When Nunez comes back from injury i dont think we will see HK in the first team unless his performance and attitude improve greatly.

I find it hard to believe that Benitez would tolerate such crap performances like those from Kewell for much longer. As you say, maybe he doesn't have many other options at left mid. I'd love to know what the manager sees from Kewell in training because we certainly don't see anything special on the pitch.

Look at the way Finnan is playing right now - probably our most consistent player at the moment, really pumped up for every game, turning in some inspired performances at right midfield, looks a totally different player (did you see him almost bite the head off the linesman at the man ure game?! Who was that guy!).

If Benitez can get Finnan playing the way he is, why can't he get the same return from Kewell? Is the guy just not happy at the club or what? He doesn't seem to give a sh*t when he's out on the pitch.

SF was ****e agains the mancs ardent.

He basically called him a wuss

Do you mean where he said that Duffer wasn't physcologically ready for first team football due to his then recent injury and that he was still a bit fearful going into tackles for fear of dislocating his shoulder again? Hardly insulting!.

SF was ****e agains the mancs ardent.

Granted, he wasn't great but then neither were most of the team. At least we saw a bit of passion from him.

True. I cant see him in the red jersey next season though.

I'd love to know if Benitez ended up selling Finnan during the summer who'd be playing at RM now? Finnan's passing on Monday was spot on but he's no winger and I've yet to see him run with the ball. I don't know why Benitez wanted to sell Finnan anyway, if Riise or Josemi get injured they'd be in trouble so he'd be very good backup (not that I want him to be backup).

There is no bad blood between Duff and Mourinho, he just doesn't fit into his team. But, since Chelsea dropped 4 points from their last 2 league games and Mourinho has been praising Duff's performances when he came on, I can't see him not starting against Boro.

It wasn't long ago when you'd that Kewell was up there with Duff and Giggs when it came to the best left wingers so IMO its only a matter of time before he gets sorted out.
    Muzz wrote:
    I wasn't slating you, a forum is for debating and i was only debating the fact that you must have watched a different match to the one that everyone else seen :s
    The Celtic thread wasn't the reason I didn't reply to your post, I don't hold grudges over something like that. It just seems that you want to attack every one of my posts. Wow, I'm very fond of stats, so what? Every thread about Giggs, Kewell or whoever you get people saying Duff is very injury prone so I checked it up to see was he actually that prone and low and behold I found he wasn't half as injury prone as people think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I think yours stats can be very informative. Adding a bit of science to opinion is good for debate.

People who dont like them are generally those who probably cant comprehend what, if anything at all, you are supposed to take from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

smemon wrote:

Smemon, this is even one of your biggest pieces of crap. Rafa Benetiz is too easy with players, after what? 5 games?

And dont compare United with Arsenal for developing players, or anything for that matter, remind me again when the last time United competed with Arsenal on the pitch?

Chelsea might have an attitude of dont concede goals, but its not doing them too bad.

Also please dont forget that if Liverpool win their game in hand that they go well ahead of United, and only 6 pts off top. Not too bad of a season with a new manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Also please dont forget that if Liverpool win their game in hand that they go well ahead of United, and only 6 pts off top. Not too bad of a season with a new manager.

Hush now, thats a valid point and we know Smemon does not like valid points..

• Advertisement

remind me again when the last time United competed with Arsenal on the pitch?

Chelsea might have an attitude of dont concede goals, but its not doing them too bad.

utd against arsenal last season didnt lose a game, granted arsenal cruised past the weak sides which utd couldnt do but arsenal are not as far past utd as you think.

chelsea havnt played arsenal yet, if they continue to play defensive against arsenal i think we both know they'll get a hiding.

liverpool are better under benitez but havn't showed they can stick with the big 3. their attackers have yet to prove themselves. with gerrard, their heart and soul out for 2 months they'll find it difficult to keep the gap at under 10 points. the likes of kewell, hypia arent performing as they have done in the past and dont have the mental strength of champions. 4th place was their realistic target this year and what have they shown to say they can go higher than that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

In last seasons games A Cudicini blunder seperated the 2 at Highbury and a Sullivan blunder at The Bridge, both games were v tight.
    The advantage Chelsea have this year is that they finally have a striker to match Cambell in Drogba.

smemon wrote:
    utd against arsenal last season didnt lose a game, granted arsenal cruised past the weak sides which utd couldnt do but arsenal are not as far past utd as you think.

chelsea havnt played arsenal yet, if they continue to play defensive against arsenal i think we both know they'll get a hiding.

liverpool are better under benitez but havn't showed they can stick with the big 3. their attackers have yet to prove themselves. with gerrard, their heart and soul out for 2 months they'll find it difficult to keep the gap at under 10 points. the likes of kewell, hypia arent performing as they have done in the past and dont have the mental strength of champions. 4th place was their realistic target this year and what have they shown to say they can go higher than that?

But your changing the focus of what you said here. You claimed Benetiz was an easy touch. How about you ring up Danny Murphy, Emile Heskey, El Hadji Diouf or Michael Owen. I reckon they would all have a different opinion to you.

You claim that Kewell is being given a defensive role? He is been given probably his best role IMO, wide on the left with licence to get forward (seeing as there are 3 other midfielders with more defensive roles). Im not disputing that he hasnt done great for Liverpool but give him a couple of months under Benetiz before you pass your judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Kewell after a season under Houllier where one of his main roles was to assist the left back has to get reacquainted with his usual role. I think that once he gets back into the run of things he will be back to being one of the best wingers in the premiership, contributing the goals as he did for Leeds and making goals for (hopefully) the two front men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

And dont compare United with Arsenal for developing players, or anything for that matter, remind me again when the last time United competed with Arsenal on the pitch?

How's about last years F.A. Cup, UTD certainly competed that day and Drew both league matches ?

Why do you say dont compare United with developing players, United success has been built on players they have developed and their record is second to none. So much so that the FA changed the guidelines for signing young players.

Back on toiic when Kewell signed for Liverpool he said it was because he was a childhood supporter of theirs so he should be motivated playing for his team. I don't know why but he is a shadow of his former self since his move. I thought it was becaus of Houliers tactics but he looks just as bad under the current manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Incredible how blinkered people can be, when Ronaldo moved to United, everybody here was saying give hima chance to get used to his new role and the league. Now Kewell has to get used to a different role again, granted it is one that he has played in before, and he should be given time to get used to it again.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote:
    How's about last years F.A. Cup, UTD certainly competed that day and Drew both league matches ?

Why do you say dont compare United with developing players, United success has been built on players they have developed and their record is second to none. So much so that the FA changed the guidelines for signing young players.

Granted I was a bit harsh on the developing side of things. A few pints down me and it all came out. However I will stand by my comments as regards competing on the pitch, but I meant it in an overall sense, not individual games.

Anyway back on topic.

Incredible how blinkered people can be, when Ronaldo moved to United, everybody here was saying give hima chance to get used to his new role and the league. Now Kewell has to get used to a different role again, granted it is one that he has played in before, and he should be given time to get used to it again.

That has to be the weakest argument I,v seen here in a long time. Ok Kewell would need time to settle in the team but he was already an established Premiership and international player. There would have been very little personal upheavel or cultural differences between Leeds and Liverpool. I think you're clutching at straws to explain his dismal performances since his move , After all Ronald is only a teenager who had to move country, learn a new language and he is absolutly flying this season.

Granted I was a bit harsh on the developing side of things. A few pints down me and it all came out. However I will stand by my comments as regards competing on the pitch, but I meant it in an overall sense, not individual games.

I can't argue with that Arsenals record is there for all to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Ronaldo this season has added an end product, something he didn't have last season. Really disappointed with Kewell, the diff between him and Duff is that even when Duff isn't having the best of games he'll still produce something out of the hat ( E.g away to Boro last season) Whereas when Kewell is having a poor game, he'll produce feck all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I think it really boils down to Kewell needing to get a kick up the arse to get himself going.
    Maybe he lacks ambition or maybe he's unhappy at the club. Either way he's not proving to be much of a player on the pitch.
    Benetiz is not one to let slackers play. Kewell will have to shape up or ship out.

smemon wrote:
    liverpool are better under benitez but havn't showed they can stick with the big 3.

heh , big 3 more like big 2 , or possibly you could have gotten away with saying 4 , but there is very little between United and Liverpool at the moment .

Unless you mean big 3 as : Arsenal , Chelsea and Everton(come on the toffee's) ;) .

• Advertisement

smuckers wrote:
    Ronaldo this season has added an end product, something he didn't have last season. Really disappointed with Kewell, the diff between him and Duff is that even when Duff isn't having the best of games he'll still produce something out of the hat ( E.g away to Boro last season) Whereas when Kewell is having a poor game, he'll produce feck all.

spot on. duffer will always give 100% and keep running but kewell just gives up and loses the pace of the match. as for benetiz being an easy touch, ive never seen him shouting and criticising his players and anytime i see him talking to the media he sound like a 'nice guy' (niall quinn nice, too nice).

shipping out rubbish players and players that want to move is hardly a sign he's a big hard man that takes no nonsense, anyone with a brain would have done the same im sure. throwing kewell, hypia a few big names that arent peforming out of the side would show he wont settle for less.

utd outplayed and beat liverpool last week with big players yet to return (rooney, saha, gneville). they started the season literallly crippled with injuries which is why points have been dropped but back to full strength i think utd can match arsenal, im not so sure about liverpool just yet, can anyone see them taking the title of arsenal, climbing above utd and chelsea?

With Liverpools game in hand 3 ponits puts them ahead of United .
    and Benitez gave out about his players publicaly after a 3-0 win , he's hardly a soft touch .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Kewell was bought to provide the necessary drive down the left flank but due to an ankle injury never got to give his best last season. He's had the whole summer off to rest and avoid surgery on that ankle. But now he seems to have picked up a couple of minor injuries.

Having said that when he has been fit he has rarely showed the form of a few seasons ago with Leeds. He needs to start producing on the pitch or as mentioned earlier others will be brought in take his place.

As for Nunez playing on the left, I was under the impression that he was a right sided player? Would Garcia be shifted over to the left instead of Warnock who might just be too inexperienced for the Champions League just yet?

If Garcia is moved over you could see Biscan make his first start of the season!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

smemon wrote:
    .............with big players yet to return (....... gneville)

Best laugh i've had in weeks that :)

Best laugh i've had in weeks that :)

Don't you rate him? He has his moments but overall he is one of the best right backs in the league and he is United through and through. He gets a lot of stick from opposing supporters but the again so did Nicky Butt until he said he was moving and then he was suddenly a wonderful player. I'm more that happy to have him play at right back and he is good going forward too.

The Muppet wrote:
    Don't you rate him? He has his moments but overall he is one of the best right backs in the league and he is United through and through. He gets a lot of stick from opposing supporters but the again so did Nicky Butt until he said he was moving and then he was suddenly a wonderful player. I'm more that happy to have him play at right back and he is good going forward too.

agreed, he's not the best in the world but has great experience and strengthens our back 4, cements it if you like. he's consistent and a good pro, just gets on with the job.

our regular back 4 is heinze, silvestre, ferdinand and g.neville, thats how fergie sees it at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Warnock did very well in Kewell's absense against norwich. He got himself into very godo positions and got the ball into the box at every opportunity. Hopefully he will get more of a run. He also seems to do well defending.

Warnock did very well in Kewell's absense against norwich. He got himself into very godo positions and got the ball into the box at every opportunity. Hopefully he will get more of a run. He also seems to do well defending.

It's simple really. He has that drive and hunger that Kewell lost some time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I think it should be remembered that Kewell hasnt been all bad for Liverpool. He was very good to start with and in December last year was leading the race to be Liverpool's player of the year on both the polls on the Liverpool website (one fans and one reporters). At that time I think I remember seeing that he was the second highest scoring midfielder in the premier league.

Since then he has been largely pants, with just the odd moment of inspiration. I'd keep Warnock in for the Olmpiacos tie, but I'd guess Harry will get another chance if he's fit due to his experience and Warnock's lack thereof.

LIVERPOOL jetted off to Germany today without winger Harry Kewell - leaving manager Rafael Benitez frustrated and baffled at his ongoing injury saga.

Benitez hoped Kewell (right) would join the party but today he said the Aussie had declared himself unavailable.

Benitez also declared that he has no idea what is wrong with Kewell - revealing he has complained about a number of different injuries recently.

Kewell's absence for a pivotal fixture is sure to raise further question marks about his long term future.

There are many within Anfield who feel the midfielder could have played through the pain barrier given the importance of the fixture.

Benitez said: "One day Harry is okay and the next he says he is unfit.

"We will talk with the doctor and try and look at his situation.

"We don't know exactly what the problem is. It changes each day.

"One day he says it's the groin, then it's the ankle. Another day he says he can play.

"We need to find the solution to this."

In contrast, both Jerzy Dudek and Didi Hamann, who were flying out today, are desperate to figure despite knocks on the shin and ankle, respectively.

Bye bye Harry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement