Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People looking for advice.

Options
  • 21-09-2004 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

I have noticed in my short time posting on this site that there are a lot of 'fly by night' posters, who just set up a user name, look for advice on whatever topic, then never post again.

Has this always been the case?

Surely these 'fly by nights' are slowing the server down for people who actually want to discuss things on this site.

So my question is "do the mods and owners try and protray a the site as being a one stop shop for advice seeking fly by nights or should you try and put a stop to it?"

An honest question.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Midget lord,

If we can not stop and give a little advice to anyone, when asked for it. Then Boards.ie would be a much poorer place.

If you want an 'Exclusive club' for miserable ignorant git's, then go and set one up. Member's only of course :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

As a mod my answer to your question would be no and no.

People use boards in different ways. If someone wants to go to the trouble of signing up and only posting once, that's their business. I very much doubt that this would have a significant impact on resources compared to the die-hard core boards folk with their pm'ing, reputation distributing, searching the forums, posting polls and suchlike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

while i'm neither a mod nor an owner....i think it would be a bad idea to stop fly by night posters....i think it's how a lot of people discover boards and fall for it.

I found Boards as i needed to ask advice on overclocking RAM of all things. :D Didn't really post much for a few months and then needed more advice...eventually i got sucked in by some interesting questions and some well informed opinion...and while i'm still a newbie, i like to think that every now and again i can help some fly by night person seeking info....be it trinity college, computers, laser eye surgery (and god knows what else i've been posting about recently :D )

Boards should be inclusive and not exclusive....that's my 2cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Paddy20 wrote:
    If you want an 'Exclusive club' for miserable ignorant git's, then go and set one up.

Jesus!!!

Did i say i wanted to set up a exclusive club for miserable gits? Get off your ****ing horse.

I would certainly offer advice if i had advice to offer. I have noticed quite a lot of people registering and heading off recently, i think it would make for a more interesting place if they were all to stay and get involved so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm pretty sure that the bulk of bandwidth is being used by a hardcore of 100-300 users, such as myself and amp. There are many lurkers and single posters, who have few or no posts, but still benefit from boards.

To stifle these types of poster would eventually be the death of boards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

RuggieBear wrote:
    Boards should be inclusive and not exclusive....that's my 2cents

Harrumph to that one.

RuggieBear is a perfect example of why not to stop the "fly by night" posters

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

no i dont think 'alpha numeric counting' should dictate your opinion on the poster, my point is that quite a few users have popped in to ask for advice then never post again. IMO that doesnt make for great 'readability'. Obviously i would prefer if they stayed, as im sure a lot of them would have some intersting input.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Clamping down on them won't encourage them to stay and offer their input. I'd rather that people just posted when they had something worthwhile to say, including a tricky problem or question. It's hardly slowing down the server if they never come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Midget lord,

This term "fly by night" that you use [twice] to describe poster's looking for some advice on Board's.ie forums, is elitist, snobbish, immature and uncaring.

So , IMO you are wrong, and therefore really have not got a clue what Boards.ie is about.

Just grow up. Or get a life, you know you are wrong on this one.

Why not admit that your choice of word's may have been wrong ?... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Why not just make your point and quit attacking posters on this forum.

I'm not going to sit through any more rows on this forum. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement