Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advantages of zonal marking

• 21-09-2004 1:08pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It looks like under Rafa Liverpool are zonal marking,so what are the advantages of zonal marking....?here is my understanding of it.

With Man 2 Man you can lose the player you are marking and as everybody else is makring a set player nobody picks him up. With Zonal it doesnt matter because as the opposition player moves he is picked up by somebody else.In theory a "zone defence" can work very well. Presuming you have adequate numbers in the box, each person is effectively managing quite a small area - so even if two attackers enter the area, one defender by attacking the ball can cover two (because they would be on top of each other ayway).

It does require a lot of discipline and communication for all players to identify threats prioritise them and either deal with them directly or warn their team mates of potential threats. If they directly deal with them let their team mates know that they are vacating their zone so that a team mate can cover the gap that is being left.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

It was definitely Advantageous to United last night.

When done properly it should mean there is no free space where players can run into and score but as we saw last night if not done properly it can leave acres of space where even i'd fancy my chances of scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

from my experience, in any team ive ever played with, the only time zonal marking really ever works is with a 3-5-2 system or a sweeper system, whereby the sweeper can dictate orders to the defenders and basically manage them system.

in a 4-4-2 formation, the lack of players and the fact that everybody has a man to match up to means that man to man is really the way to go I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Draupnir wrote:
    from my experience, in any team ive ever played with, the only time zonal marking really ever works is with a 3-5-2 .

Very true , my club play that formation with zonal ;) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

im a fan of zonal marking myself,it gives more organisation to the defence and the players know what they're at.

BUT a major thing is if you play that, you must have defenders or 'chasers' (2 usually) running off the goal line to attack the ball (front and back posts). those 2 players must get a head on the ball at all costs if it's delivered into the box therefore have no real position but they are the most important.

if your marking zonally your static and have no chance if an attacker is running in towards you hence the importance of the 2 'chasers'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Zonal marking did'nt spot a mobil Silvestre...who's job was that (I say this not have seen the goals) to pick up?

Mike.

• Advertisement

risse's job as far as i could see, he was closest man 2 him. liverpool had no chasers and therefore had a static 6 forming 2 walls of 3, even if they had a man on silvestre they wouldnt have stopped him as he was running in and just had to make any sort of connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

The most obvious advantage of using the zonal system is that you gift Man Utd two soft goals.

The most obvious advantage of using the zonal system is that you gift Man Utd two soft goals.

i agree, well put

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

As Alan Hansen often says:

"A space never scored a goal."

Zonal marking generally sucks.

mr_angry wrote:
    Zonal marking generally sucks.

For those that can't play it right .
    Once you have good communication you should have no problems .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

basically, zonal marking isnt exactly much different from man to man marking, i think the whole Championship Manager thing has made it seem a lot more disparate to some people.

the only thing, as ive said before is that it cant be played very well without a sweeper or in a 352. i dont LIverpool have the players to play zonal marking as Hyppia and Carragher wouldnt be the fastest centre halves ever and to be trying to pick up wingers and pacey forwards moving between the central zones only meant they had to accept even more pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Zonal marking in relation to open play is fine unless theres a player in a free role that is causing major problems. Zonal marking in relation to dead ball situations a whole different ball game. Zonal marking for corners is just plain stupid, theres no-way a defender making a standing jump is going to beat a good striker making a running jump to a header.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Zonal as has been tried by pool doesnt work unless your players act as a unit.
    To counter zonal marking ,stick all your players ont he 18 yard line and let them run in when the ball is crossed, a decent cross is a goal.

Oh look what man Utd did , they did this before when they 3-1 years ago nearly all headers from corners irc.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

There is one advantage of the zonal marking system and that is to your opponent! haha

I didn't see the game ( fuking brother of mine was watching tv :( ) , were Liverpool defending corners and frees zonally?, because they would be the first team ever to do that and they would be the stupidest team ever to do that .

I am in support of the zonal system in general though .

Big Ears wrote:
    I didn't see the game ( fuking brother of mine was watching tv :( ) , were Liverpool defending corners and frees zonally?, because they would be the first team ever to do that and they would be the stupidest team ever to do that .

I am in support of the zonal system in general though .

yes, they did defend zonally all the time.

aberdeen i think it is have a clever policy on corners were all their attacking players bunch together on the edge of the area and they all charge in when the ball is whiped in. liverpool would be killed if the opposition played like that.

surely benitez wont be stubborn and keep using it. or if he does, he'll have to use it right.

Advertisement