Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deadwood

• 21-09-2004 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

Starts tonight on Sky One. Western with Ian McShane, which is not exactly a line to get the pulses racing, but i've been hearing some massively positive reviews for it. Besides, its always a good thing when there's another western on prime time TV. Anyone seen it yet? Does it justify the hype?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

Saw pilot on Sky 1 last night........ not bad at all......

Lost of mumbling and hard to understand western slang I reckon.

Ian McShane's character was wicked.

Apparently based on a real town in the 1870's and based on real
    characters as well, gruesome in spots but hey that was reality back
    then huh?

Sky had some background filler material and a short 'Making of ...'
    documentary on interactive, which was a good idea.

Could definitely be a grower I reckon (then again thats what you come
    to expect from HBO).

;););)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I have it recorded, so i'll check it out tonight. Looks interesting alright.

davej

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭callmescratch

was lookin forward to this for a while given all the positive reports from people.
    missed it last night because the family wanted to watch CSI:Miami on {network/rte network/rte} 2.
    its on again tonight on MIX at 11, for anyone else who missed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Starts tonight on Sky One. Western with Ian McShane, which is not exactly a line to get the pulses racing, but i've been hearing some massively positive reviews for it. Besides, its always a good thing when there's another western on prime time TV. Anyone seen it yet? Does it justify the hype?

It gets a lot better... :) They're just getting the characters introduced in the first episode. There's quite a bit of swearing, killing, and shagging to come. And McShane does live up to his character's name - Swearengen. I liked it a lot. :D:D

Can't wait for the second series (which is being filmed at the moment BTW).

starman100 wrote:
    Apparently based on a real town in the 1870's and based on real
    characters as well, gruesome in spots but hey that was reality back
    then huh?

That's right, and the town's still there:

http://www.deadwood.org/

If you go on that site, don't look at the 'About Deadwood' section or you could spoil the rest of the series for yourself... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

ChipZilla wrote:
    There's quite a bit of swearing, killing, and shagging to come. And McShane does live up to his character's name - Swearengen.

Jeez there was already some words I never expected to hear on Sky - if it ha dbeen on UTV the episode would have been about 20mins long by the time they finished cutting it.

McChanes character is pure evil, the good guys are somewhat evil.

I liked the 1st episode of this a lot :D

Borzoi wrote:
    if it ha dbeen on UTV the episode would have been about 20mins long by the time they finished cutting it.

Too true :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭eske

I don't know about the rest of you but I think this is one of the best shows on TV at the moment. I had heard it claimed quite a few US awards (emmys maybe?) but I also heard there wasn't much in the way of competition, so I wasn't that pushed about watching it. But language aside ( which is definately going to be a talking point) the characters are strong, the story line is good so far. Lets hope it continues this way. God bless HBO, I'd be lost without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

He'll always be Lovejoy to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Wild Bill Hickock gets shot playing poker.

• Advertisement
Advertisement