Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I buy a Nissan Figaro??

Options
  • 21-09-2004 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some advice on buying this car
    http://www.southsideautomotive.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=163131
    Aside from what you may think about how it looks (Personally I love it) Should I buy a car that is 13 years old? It's a jap import but it has 60,000 miles on the clock. But it's an automatic and I really want an automatic. The garage is willing to take a tade in on my own car (Fiat Punto 2001) Which I really hate and I'm finding it hard to get rid of.....
    But is this car worth the money? 10,750???

Baring in mind that I could get this car http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=162810 for not that much more.... but its not as cute and it's not a softtop......HELP :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

You do know the car is based on the Nissan Micra, seemingly only 20,000 where ever made.

A bit of googling came up with this useful site has some history about the car etc.
    http://www.iobjects.co.uk/figaro/figaro.html

and this site:
    http://www.microcar.org/carspecs/nissanfigaro.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Figaro is overpriced and not worth 10K . You could buy Honda Beat for less money and would be more exotic and original as this moded micra

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Thanks for the help and advice... I think your right... it is over priced. I did a seach for Honda Beat and couldn't find anything. But I'm going to take a look at the Audi tonight after work and see what it's like. It sounds pretty good.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I like the Figaro but I would go for an A3 myself. That one in the Ad seemed a little dear for a 97 though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I think the Figaro is cute and it's exclusivity will make it a wee head-turner :)

Having said that, I'd buy the A3. The price seems high but 1.6 automatic is pretty rare I guess and when demand > supply, the price goes up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd buy one only to keep locked away then sell it for a tonne of money in 40 years time!

http://www.iobjects.co.uk/figaro/

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Of course it is way overpriced but that isn't (or shouldn't be) the point if you are buying a car that you have always wanted and have your heart set on. Practicalities like availability of parts, cost of parts and servicing, fuel economy and all those other boring things don't come into it then. Some people buy cars simply as a means of transport and that's as far as it goes. Buying a car like this would have to be an emotionally based decision, not a practical one.

If it is a car you have always wanted, if it is to be a toy - something to put a smile on your face, then it is worth whatever money you are willing to pay for it. You need to be prepared for the long haul though. You need to be aware that it may not be usable for all your transport needs. It may cost you a lot to keep it maintained or frustrate you when you can't find every part you need for it easily. If you're not up for that, then don't buy it. Basically, unless you have always had your heart set on this car, it would be a rash decision to pay anything near 10 thousand for it! :eek:

I don't understand why you are comparing it to an Audi A3. I don't see how the two cars are comparable. The fact that you are considering the two as possibilities though makes me think that you don't know what you want and definitely shouldn't go for the Figaro.

If you are looking for an alternative to the Figaro, research the Suzuki Cappuccino. It's a tiny two seater convertible that's supposed to be lots of fun.

1220.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Only buy it if you have an F40, Enzo, 911 turbo and a Zonda all parked up in your garage and you still have 10k burning a hole in your pocket.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

mike65 wrote:
    I'd buy one only to keep locked away then sell it for a tonne of money in 40 years time!

http://www.iobjects.co.uk/figaro/

Mike.

It was built by a robot in Japan, it's never going to achieve classic status and appreciate, especially since the original price is a blatant rip off in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Muppettmaster

I own a figaro and it really is excellent, 90 % of the part are micra and are as cheap as chips - Figaro's are also extremely reliable.

10.5 K is a rip off - have a look at www.autosupply.co.uk
    this is a site dedicated to figs and there owners and is a wealth of knowledge
    any questions you have will be answered there.

you should be able to pick up a good quality fig converted to uk spec with a service for between 6-7K

ours was £6900 but we had a waxoil treatment and alarm fitted.

I tried a suzuki cappuccino before deciding on the fig - didn't like it felt very, very vunerable and insurance is expensive. Fig insurance should be cheap as its only 1.0L (turbo) 76bhp

Have a look at autosupply - there really is nothing else that gets looks or makes you smile as much as a fig.

p.s. they are going up in value as there are estimated to only be around 12000 of the original 20000 left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

There is a Fiagro currently listed in the Merlin Car Auction, I'd say it would go for a good bit less than the 11g's that deealer is offering.

How do they get the Figs into a Figaro?

yeah , car will be reliable/practical as is build on micra and looks certainly different in own special way and some people like it of idea of having genetically modified micra which was sold in millions and original car doesn't look anything like it's g-moded brother. So , what ever makes people happy it's good idea.

Personally, i am not sure i would be prepared to pay 10K for it, just be that bit different. This car doesn't appeal to me, as except the look it doesn't reflect any engineering achievement .

Think Honda Beat has more potential . 3 cylinder mid engined car with unusual mechanic/ergonomic design, marking development stage of the company also produced in limited numbers.

When looking at Irish market , VW corrado is as unusual and will cost 1/3 of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Parts are not a prob

The car is based on the nissan k10 micra every thing is the same

quite fast aswell 1000cc turbo stay at 80 no prob

you get great looks driving in them

very comfortable went to galweah in one and meet one going the other way

GO FOR IT

PS

the one in merlin is sh1t, get one from an importer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Ah I found a Figaro thread. They are an awesome car. I saw one there earlier today.

Honda beats are ugly critters. People don't buy a Figaro for performance. They buy it for it's retro looks and modern reliable body and engine.

Did you end up buying one in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

This thread is FOUR YEARS OLD.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,319 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Established user, but this resurrection deserves a slap!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

dlofnep, you should know better than reviving an old thread. Read the charter and don't do it again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement