Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

file -> properties

Options
  • 21-09-2004 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

hey there,
    can anyone offer a reason why my machine (running win 2000) takes an age to load up the properties box? It has always been like this so it's not spyware that's causing it. Any pointers would be appreciated!

thanks

KR

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Could be the speed of the machine, or low memory, or too many processes running. Is it the properties of a file or directory you're looking at? If it's a large directory that could take a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

it happens when getting the properties of any amount of files. Usually takes over 10 seconds for the box to appear. The strange thing is, if I then try and get the properties for another file straight after that, it works fine, i.e. it loads up in an instant. It's like something is loading. I will try and see in task manager if anything is loading when I do it again

It defo isn't low memory or too many processes running

thanks

KR

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Maybe it's running on a very low priority thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

King Raam, what's your pagefile setting?
    What disk configuration have you got?
    Do you have your latest video drivers installed?

Pagefile: 1536mb (initial) 3072mb (max)
    Machine has 2Gig RAM

Disk: 40gig, FAT32

Updating video drivers now, I will post back with some results soon!

KR

• Advertisement

same problem with the latest video drivers :confused:

jessy wrote:
    Maybe it's running on a very low priority thread

what exactly is *it* ?
    I checked the thread priorty of everything that is running, a couple of them are set to high, but everything else is set to normal

KR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

*it* is the shell (explorer.exe)....and it's shell32.dll where that dialog comes from.

Do you have NTFS compression enabled or EFS?

thanks Colm
    I don't think I have compression enabled. I can't see any options to compress anything.

Advertisement