Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are my rights in this situation?

Options
  • 21-09-2004 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I took a year out of college 2 years ago to work and get some cash together before doing my course.

now its been a year since I worked there and I've finished my first year in college and NOW they tell me they overpaid me by over €1500 and they want it back

this money has long since been spent during my time in college.

what can I do now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Viktor wrote:
    I took a year out of college 2 years ago to work and get some cash together before doing my course.

now its been a year since I worked there and I've finished my first year in college and NOW they tell me they overpaid me by over €1500 and they want it back

this money has long since been spent during my time in college.

what can I do now?
    you'll need to giz a bit more info....was there a contract signed...was it a case that they didn't pay PRSI and want you to stump up...

off the record, i'd advise you tell 'em to p!ss off...if they really want the money let 'em instigate legal proceedings. They won't do that unless they're fairly certain they're in the right and at that point you can take stock of your options...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Offer to pay them in full. €1 per week, they call to your gaff to collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

naw - offer to pay in butter vouchers...they love that!

:D

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

On what basis did they say they overpaid you? Was it something you should have been patently aware of at the time the payment was made? From what you've told me I do think the long delay in making the demand for repayment means you have a good defence. Provided you acted in good faith.

Advertisement