Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which wireless router, PCI cards etc?

• 21-09-2004 3:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on wireless equipment. I've applied for IOL 3 month broadband trial. Should have modem within 21 days :rolleyes: . I'm waiting for NTL to get to my estate in Clonsilla/Blanchardstown area. They said 4-6 weeks. Anyway, I want to go wireless. I want a wireless router, PCI card and a wireless card for laptop. I'm kinda leaning towards the following unless anybody has any advice:

router
    PCI card
    card for laptop

Also, any arguments for purchasing my own modem or will I just use modems given to me by IOL and then NTL? All advice welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

http://www.netgear.co.uk/html/prod_routers_adsl.htm#dg834

I got the middle one of these. Works a treat with Esat, once you've configured the broadband settings, and certainly more powerful (not to mention the convenience of wireless) than the USB modem given by IOL or the ethernet one by Esat corporate.

Will set you back about €120-odd, but well worth the investment, and Netgear's customer service is second to none in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

doh.ie wrote:
    http://www.netgear.co.uk/html/prod_routers_adsl.htm#dg834

I got the middle one of these. Works a treat with Esat, once you've configured the broadband settings, and certainly more powerful (not to mention the convenience of wireless) than the USB modem given by IOL or the ethernet one by Esat corporate.

Will set you back about €120-odd, but well worth the investment, and Netgear's customer service is second to none in my experience.
    That Netgear is an adsl modem. I'd be needing an adsl/cable combo if theres such a thing. Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

ok i think the new esat modems have an ether net connection so you might just need an access point and then your wifi card etc.

I got a netgear one from www.dslwarehouse.ie

DGR834G = wireless with built in adsl modem
    WG511t = wifi card

works great.

Ah, of course - you're signing with NTL down the line. AFAIK (someone will be able to confirm) you could connect the NTL modem to this router and have that distribute its signal wirelessly.

I'm sure there is such a thing as a combo, though - but obviously, it'd cost more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I have the Linksys WRT54G wireless router with my ntl service. I have an ethernet cable between the two. Zero problems with either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

doh.ie wrote:
    Ah, of course - you're signing with NTL down the line. AFAIK (someone will be able to confirm) you could connect the NTL modem to this router and have that distribute its signal wirelessly.
    Not really - this device has an ADSL/RJ11 port for it's WAN interface. I don't think that plugging the NTL connection into one of the LAN ports would be effective, because as far as the netgear box would be concerned, that port would be using a 192.168 address, but the NTL modem at the other end of the cable would this it was using some other address.
    I'm sure there is such a thing as a combo, though - but obviously, it'd cost more.
    Actually, that box is a combo - it's a combined DSL modem and Broadband router. A Broadband Router without the DSL modem is what's needed here, and they're actually more common and cheaper than the DSL specific ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Should be able to get a sizeable discount on Netgear and D-Link equipment:D through work so any opinions on their equipment would be great. Anyone anything to say on WiFi cards?

Ripwave wrote:
    Not really - this device has an ADSL/RJ11 port for it's WAN interface. I don't think that plugging the NTL connection into one of the LAN ports would be effective, because as far as the netgear box would be concerned, that port would be using a 192.168 address, but the NTL modem at the other end of the cable would this it was using some other address.

I bow to your superior knowledge. Could a computer receiving the NTL connection (via cable modem) and configured with a 192.168.xxx.xxx address be then used to share that connection wirelessly? (Asking cos I may switch to NTL down the line, if it ever becomes available where I live.)

As for Wi-Fi cards, can be picked up cheaply on eBay if it's PCMCIA you're looking for. I got one for about €10. Not sure of the price of an internal one,
    but I doubt it's very much. You should know this will interfere with any video senders you've got in your house (shouldn't, but it does...) and while it should be relatively flawless in terms of passing through walls, I notice my connection cuts out and reestablishes itself from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

Placebo wrote:
    I got a netgear one from www.dslwarehouse.ie
    Ummm... that link ain't working for me - is the URL correct ? Maybe the site's just down at the mo :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

google shows up this: http://www.dslwarehouse.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

stiofanD wrote:
    Ummm... that link ain't working for me - is the URL correct ? Maybe the site's just down at the mo :(
    It's www.dsl-warehouse.ie

Advertisement