Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish President No Election Needed????

• 21-09-2004 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

It is a waste of money to have a Presidential election is the message coming from the Irish political parties.

In fact the chances of the electorate actually being given a choice as to whom serves our country for the next 7 years are very slim indeed.

The Constitution requires 20 Oireachtas members or four County Councils to nominate a person to run for the Presidency.

The Irish political parties have decided they dont want an election so the people have no choice. Is this Democracy???

Eamonn Zaidan is a young eligible citizen you wishs to run for the presidency. His electoral Campaign is on www.eamonnzaidan.com

He wants to at least give the people of ireland a Presidential election that they deserve.

Humphrey.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

At this moment in time the chances of an Election taking place looks very slim, I'd be happy to have an alternative to McAleese , whom I think has done nothing wrong during her presidency , however I think she has been very quiet and kept low profile.

I'd prefer a more high profile "risque" president with a bit more backbone ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

LizardKing wrote:
    I'd prefer a more high profile "risque" president with a bit more backbone ....

To do what exactly?

Killian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Saddam for president!

Nobody execpt Dana seem's to have a problem with McAleese at the moment. Im, and the majority of people I know are quite happy with McAleese and will probably vote her in for another 7 years if needed.

I'd prefer a president who has a stated and public opinion on the current topics affecting our country and our world. I'd prefer a president who would speak out on local issues and world issues instead of keeping their head down and seeing through their term of office.

I mean McAleese has been grand but i'm f*&cked if I can remember one thing she has actually done or said over the last seven years ...certainly not a memorable president..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Doesn't this belong in politics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭blobert

I don't think there's anything wrong with the current President.

Robbo went out of her way to attract attention to (herself) and various causes but it wasn't really part of the job description.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Humphrey wrote:
    He wants to at least give the people of ireland a Presidential election that they deserve.
    Frankly I'm not interested in anyone who's just thinking of running so we have an election. It's not a good enough reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Who cares it's a meaningless figure head position you can put your pet cat in the position for as much as it matters ( a potted plant will also do at a stretch - "OH all-powerful Potted Plant President of our Glorious Motherland what will you have us do?" "What was that? - slay all fertiliser merchants? Certainly we will broadcast your commands on RTE during the Fair City ad-break, rest assured death comes to all who oppose you!!" ) Why are we wasting money on the dumb job anyway :rolleyes: ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

yes but at least 'Robbo' will be remembered. I remember her when I was a kid. I seen her around more. I seriously NEVER see 'Maco' on the telly. or anywhere. Ever. Except now. Cant remember her doing anything. bloody pen pusher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Mary McAleese is often on the TV and in fact as a journalist in an earlier job appeared on the RTE current affairs programme Today Tonight, the predecessor of Prime Time. As to the President speaking out on issues, the office restricts what can and can't be mentioned, as it is apolitical. Compared to some who have held the office, Mary McAleese has done very well. You don't need to be on the TV every night to be doing a good job. A lot of what she has done is done quietly and out of the spotlight, which is often a good thing. She does not court publicity, but just gets on with the job. Maybe, for the sake of democracy being seen to be done, we should have an election, but no candidate is going to beat her. It would not be the first time a president has been returned to office without an election, so it is not a major problem. There may be issues that should be looked at around the presidency, like the length of the term, which might be better at being 5 years. There are issues around the powers of the office, to allow a president to have more of them. People criticise presidents for not doing much, but that is because they are not allowed to. That is what needs to be looked at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭cilamc

ANYONE BUT BUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!

Erm... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Unlike that ignoramus, Mary McAleese was elected President of her country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I voted for Dustin... he should of won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

According to the Constitution the incumbent president may nominate him/herself for a second seven year term in office.

If there are no other nominations, then there is no election.

Say if "Maco" decided not to re-nominate herself, and only one other person put themselves forward, whether it be "Dano" or "Dusto" or whoever, then that peron would be the new "Preso".

It is up to your elected officials ( Oireachtas or Local politicians, either way, you voted them in ) to decide whether or not the Presidency should be contested. If they, in their great wisdom, decide that they are happy for the current President to continue for another term, then so be it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If McAleese didn't run again, would they have to allow Dana ro run? If so, why don't they have to allow her to run as it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Humphrey

Ah well if we did vote for someone other than Mc Aleese 'they' would tell us we didnt understand and tell us to vote again.

And all this talk about cost is such bulls**t do you really think the governement is really trying to save the taxpayer some money?????

Humphrey.

If McAleese didn't run again, would they have to allow Dana ro run? If so, why don't they have to allow her to run as it is?

Anyone wanting to run for President needs to be nominated by a certain number of local councils or members of the Oireachtas.

If McAleese didn't want the job, they would most likely agree on one candidate, or a few between them. They would be in effect forced to find someone they deemed suitable.

Now ask yourself this, would you rather McAleese stayed on unchallenged, when all the elected officials seem to agree that she is suitable, and they don't seem to back anyone else who actually wants the job, or would you rather she decided she didn't want the job, and the elected officials had to come up with candidates who they don't necessarily believe to be suitable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

I, for one, do not like to hear of Mrs McAleeses predecessor being referred to as 'Robbo'...as any fule kno, her name is 'Big Bird'.

Or at least it was until that ladeen in the army got caught saying it and got into awful trouble...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

seansouth wrote:
    Now ask yourself this, would you rather McAleese stayed on unchallenged, when all the elected officials seem to agree that she is suitable, and they don't seem to back anyone else who actually wants the job, or would you rather she decided she didn't want the job, and the elected officials had to come up with candidates who they don't necessarily believe to be suitable?

Not sure why the elected officials' opinions on who's a suitable candiate is worth anything, tee bee haitch. I'm assuming all the potential candiates who aren't being allowed contest it actually want the job, though they could be jsut having a laugh.

I, for one, do not like to hear of Mrs McAleeses predecessor being referred to as 'Robbo'...as any fule kno, her name is 'Big Bird'.

Or NODDY ...

• Advertisement

Not sure why the elected officials' opinions on who's a suitable candiate is worth anything, tee bee haitch. I'm assuming all the potential candiates who aren't being allowed contest it actually want the job, though they could be jsut having a laugh.

Here's why, from our very own constitution.
    4. 1° Every citizen who has reached his thirty-fifth year of age is eligible for election to the office of President.

2° Every candidate for election, not a former or retiring President, must be nominated either by:

i. not less than twenty persons, each of whom is at the time a member of one of the Houses of the Oireachtas, or

ii. by the Councils of not less than four administrative Counties (including County Boroughs) as defined by law.

3° No person and no such Council shall be entitled to subscribe to the nomination of more than one candidate in respect of the same election.

4° Former or retiring Presidents may become candidates on their own nomination.

5° Where only one candidate is nominated for the office of President it shall not be necessary to proceed to a ballot for his election.
    Not just anyone can run for the Office of President, they must be nominated by either 4 local councils, 20 TD's or Members of Seanad Eireann or in the case of a current President wishing to run again, themselves.

Now, you may wish to run, but before you can you have to have the backing of the people mentioned. If you don't, as Dana doesn't, then sorry, but you can't run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If there is an election, I wouldn't be bothered to vote. I have no idea why we have a president as it's doesn't appear that they do much other than jet around the world meeting other nations representatives. This may be a worth while jesture as we may be trying to do business with these nations and sending our president could be seen a a significant goodwill ambasador, however, I don't believe she has a whole lot of power to actually do anything other than dissolve the Dail if the government breaks down.
    Our current president has never been in any trouble or involved in scandall during her term so I, like most of the political parties, see no need to run an election for what is essentially a figure head position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 EamonnZ

Well I certainly want the job and I am not just having a laugh about it. My website at the very least outlines that. I also state that I'd like to be accessible to the people at an ordinary level...voila, I'm replying to you!

With regards to the Presidential election, Fine Gael are on the record since January of this year that they intend to field no candidate to oppose the present incumbent. I have no problem with that. It is their prerogative as one of the opposition parties. I would go so far to say that I would even applaud their stance.

However, I am finding it difficult to equate the directive to County Councillors to tow the party line. I cannot see the logic that should they propose someone seeking an Independent nomination at Local Government level how this can constitute or seem that Fine Gael would be fielding a candidate. Can this be explained in more detail? What exactly would happen a Councillor if he/she did support an Independent candidate? Expulsion from the party? No one it seems will be nominated because of the main parties stance. The only person who could challenge McAleese now is Robinson as she could also nominate herself.

At Dail level I can see the logic but at local level I cannot. Clarification is required as I feel Fine Gael are stripping the councillors of their right to choose. Some FG councillors and Michael Ring TD have spoken out and disagreed about the directive given to them, could this lead them to becoming Independent Councillors themselves? Resign perhaps causing co-opting?

In fairness to Bertie Ahern and Mary Harney, they are on the record that it is up to the councillors themselves to decide or that is the perception given. Pat Rabbite has a similar stance. Why is Fine Gael's so different?

I was disheartened when Eamon Ryan withdrew his name and Michael D Higgins was not proposed.

At the very least Ms Scallon is trying to run through the proper systems as is Mr Salafia, Ms Grainne Conroy and myself for that matter. Now I hear whispers of legal consultations, will this 'election' become a farce? Mrs McAleese has welcomed the prospect of a proper challenge and yet our politicians seem intent of even denying her that wish. We (the electorate) are being denied the right to decide. The Presidency is meant to be above party politics and the President as per the Constitution "shall be elected by direct vote of the people."

Crtitics will say we don't need an election, I disagree. Not one of the candidates wants an election for the sake of an election, but simply to offer a choice, what is so bad about that? We do live in a democracy after all.

Should there be an election, and President McAleese is re-elected as is predicted, at least the people will have decided, not Fine Gael.

As far as I am concerned, the Presidency is above party politics and is the decision of the electorate, yet our politicians have taken control it seems. I believe this is wrong, I also believe we are entitled to an election, not the thoughts of our political parties, yet no one seems to mind the costs of all the tribunals exposing the corruption of some of our politicians.

Irish politics is indeed a tricky business and believe me, I have had my eyes opened quite wide. I think our politicians have made a farce of this 'election' and not the likes of Dana, Ms Conroy, Mr Salafia and myself. We at the very least had the courage and conviction to stand up for what we believe in...choice and democracy.

Kind regards,

Eamonn

Advertisement