Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win XP Service Pack 2 Internet Killer Raaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrr!

• 21-09-2004 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

:eek:

Installed XP SP2 the other night and immediately felt the effects of the increased security - everything's ten times slower - my PC now takes three months just to boot up (OK about a minute, but way too long). The main problem, though, is that my broadband internet is not working. Funny thing is, when I open a browser window I get the standard page cannot be found error message, but if I refresh about a thousand times it will eventually find the page - all connection tests show I have a great connection. I;m not running Norton or ZoneAlarm, which I know cause problems with SP2. I have AVG and Spybot running. any hints anybody........ PLEASE???? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

SP2 enables the windows firewall on all connections by default.

Try start>>control panel >> network connections >> right click on the internet connection and go to properties >> select the security tab and untick the firewall protection tick box.

Up to you if you want to leave this unchecked. But disable it and see if it speeds up your connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Are you on a wireless network?
    Also, have you defragged your machine since the SP update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

I've got this problem aswell but I've rolled back the drivers but the same thing is still happening? Anyone got any ideas on how to fix it? I can ping my modem to it's port but I can't telnet it? Even with my dial-up connection I can't access the internet. Internet explorer just gives that page cannot be displayed message? It's like the internet isn't connected but it is *que twiglight zone music*, Thanks for any help

Hey, Well I uninstalled SP2 and it still wasn't working so when I switched to safe mode and logged in as administrator it worked?? Does anyone know a way to solve this problem? I say this becuase I can't play any games or anything in safe mode?

ok so an update, i decided to re-install everything> the same thing happens still, I can only get onto the internet in safe mode, in normal mode it says that this page cannot be found??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

go back into safe mode and run msconfig, disable anything that doesnt look natural on the startup button, restart

hey, did that but still get the same thing can't acces the internet in any way can't telnet etc. but can ping??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I received SP2 in the post today. Would you recommend me installing it or just sticking with SP1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

eirebhoy wrote:
    I received SP2 in the post today. Would you recommend me installing it or just sticking with SP1?

read this before installing sp2 you may be running some of these programs

http://www.winnetmag.com/WinInfo/Article/ArticleID/43798/WinInfo_43798.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I had mixed fortunes with SP2. Installed fine on my pc with nothing broken. Updated it on a clients machine and it more or less killed it. Took hours to sort out. I'd ghost your machine first as the uninstall didn't work for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ding wrote:
    I had mixed fortunes with SP2. Installed fine on my pc with nothing broken. Updated it on a clients machine and it more or less killed it. Took hours to sort out. I'd ghost your machine first as the uninstall didn't work for me.
    A good deed never goes unpunished.

If you have ANY problems with XP sort them out fully first.
    Check the apps lists to make sure you don't have one of the 200 apps that don't like the firewall.
    Backup your system including system state. XP home users look for ntbackup.msi on the CD.
    Then wait until you really need it or everyone else seems to have upgraded without problems.

Eh? anyone know of an Windows Uninstall that actually worked ?
    (you just gotta love rollback.exe on the NT4 OEM CD )

Advertisement