Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pimpage

Options
  • 21-09-2004 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Having read a thread earlier, started by Cormie in which he was accused of pimpage, I just have a few questions. Basically I'm not totally sure what is regarded as pimpage.

For instance, Cormie put a link to Empire which had his site getting a referral rake. Fair enough if this is considered pimpage.

However, www.suitedaces.com has been regularly referred to as getting a bonus for users signing up with - not sure which site off the top of my head. How come this is not considered pimpage? Is it because most/all of the suitedaces guys are moderators etc of boards.ie?

Just wondering!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Naw it's just that www.suitedaces.com is far superior to anything else that could be pimped here so we feel obliged to put them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

The links in our sigs go to a website with content and tournament info, rather than to a page whose only function is to make the linker money. Plus they're in our sigs which has always been fine. Loads of different people have stuff they're involved with in their sigs.

Only once at suitedaces.com could people click on something that could concievably make suitedaces any money. These links are clear banner links, rather than a one word link that purports to go to empire but in reality goes to an affliate page.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think it was the less-then-upfront-way his affiliate id found itself attached to what was otherwise an unremarkable post about winning a hand. Smells of pimpage (the unnecessary mentioning of commericial sites on posts).

We kinda ruled site wide that you shouldnt make money from boards unless you contribute to its growth (like Komplett do for example). Though we allowed non-profit sites to be linked to in the sig.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

DapperGent wrote:
    The links in our sigs go to a website with content and tournament info, rather than to a page whose only function is to make the linker money. Plus they're in our sigs which has always been fine. Loads of different people have stuff they're involved with in their sigs.

Some contructive criticism of the Suited Aces sig picture:

Does the picture have to be that big? And no offence to whoever did it but it looks awful. There's pixel dirt all over it and the anti-aliasings wrong. And white cards on a white background? Madness.

While I'm not in Suited Aces, I do surf boards and it's starting to get annoying, especially in here. Just look at this thread^

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Ah it aint that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Whut?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

thats a nice one Muso...
    We have actually been talking abour changing it between us so I think we might...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kipple

Suited Aces (what ever that is) make money off any body who signed up to gaming club under them.

How is this non profit?

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kipple

The links in our sigs go to a website with content and tournament info, rather than to a page whose only function is to make the linker money.
    The suited aces affiliate link was posted in this forum. It was even suggested that you get a good deal by signing up.

The rules of this forum require us to talk about poker. I see nothing against the rules in trying to rip people off to get them to join you affiliate and give them nothing back. This is related to poker and poker is about making money and nothing else.

If you do not have a good affiliate deal where you get at least 20% of you rake back you are an [blank] and deserved to be ripped off.

Dev,
    I see nothing in the rules banning people from advertising affiliates. I also think the following is heavy handed.
    The affiliate part of this thread is over. Take it up on the "pimpage" thread if you must. Bans will follow since I've already warned about this.
    Why would you ban people for talking about poker related issues?

T.

Advertisement