Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fresh Blood

• 21-09-2004 5:40pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭

No... Surprisingly enough it's not Trinity. They still haevn't gotten their act together that I've heard.

Athlone IT however are getting set up. I'm not sure if they've any experienced archers at all though they do have Conal formerly of DCU. Anyhow good luck to them and hopefully we'll see them at some stage this year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Poor Conal, just couldn't survive without the choice of dragging his archery gear into college so he could stand about talking and not even bother setting up his gear, then head home. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 The Sin

I was speaking to Jim Conroy at the Irish Open, he asked me if I'd be interested in coaching the new people in Dundalk IT Archery club. I had to decline the offer because Dublin Archers trains on the same night as they've scheduled their training, not to mention the conflict of interest that would come about by coaching two of the IT clubs! Is there anyone out there who might be able to look in on them & help them out??? I don't have any contact details for them but I could get them if needed.......

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Another new lot? Yikes... Could be quite the interesting season.

Trinity are starting to lag behind! :P Did Jim mention anything about them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭trig

Whats with the concern about Trinity? I'm in no rush to have a load of Trinners at the IVs. Have you actually talked to any Trinners? ;)
    On a more serious note, we might be running into logistical problems soon enough if all these Dublin area teams show up with any sort of large numbers. Just something to consider.
    Still, it'd be nice to wipe the floor with Trinity :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

I just like the idea of more clubs and more competition.

At the moment it should be grand enough for the DCU one with the 3 halls and all that. Still I'm damn glad it's not my problem! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭trig

From where I was standing, it looked like you had enough trouble with the current competition last year! ;)
    Only joking, you're right, I'd like to see more teams, more competition and more archers competing in Ireland. Makes life interesting! .....Even if they are from Trinity :D

Whoah there! :eek: Considering that Trinity is still supposed to have that little bylaw about being able to go up one of the towers and shoot two catholics on a particular day of the year do we really want to have them training with bows? I mean what happens if their IV is on that day, would you really feel safe walking onto any land that's owned by Trinity? Glad I'm not catholic! :p;)

Seriously though the more the merrier, might help make it more difficult for any one college to win the IV league year after year, it'd also help when it comes to fielding a team for the British Universtiy competition and other such things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭mhairesa

farohar wrote:
    it'd also help when it comes to fielding a team for the British Universtiy competition.

our main goal should be trying to up the standard of our archers to compete at europien and wordl levels, not just goin to the brit championships. dont forget that there are more comps than just IV's. if ppl took it more seriously and trained harder theres no reason some of the IV archers cant be part of the national team... we are the future of the sport dont forget!!!

mhairesa wrote:
    we are the future of the sport dont forget!!!
    :eek: All is lost! Irish archery is doomed, doomed, doom-ed I tells ya! :p

I get what you mean but considering the difficulty there was in getting a team for the British comp. when that'd be cheaper than European and World comp.s for people to enter surely it'd be far wiser to aim for fielding a decent team there first, in the hopes of showing ourselves to be capable of competing on an international level so that there'd be some hope of a grant/sponsorship to help cover the cost for entering the more expensive European and World comp.s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭mhairesa

its just a wast of time in my opinion, irish archers arn't even recognised when we shot in the outdoors. we were taken off the leaderboards, we're only more money in their pockets. on the official scoresheet we were classed as northern irish and they have us placed as 4th when we came 3rd. if we get our scores up to the qualifying standard for the europien/ world shoots its irrelevent if we shot a couple of shoots in england, they're not even classed as europien/world events. im not sure how open these CUSA(is that even right?) ppl are to sending people away to the uni shoots or if they fund them but if you make the qualifying scores the IAAA will fund you for the high class shoots so self-funding shouldnt be an issue.and to be honest im not even that pushed to do the student ones cause i dont think they count towards the olympic qualifications.

saying that id prolly travel across to england again purely to get drunk and have a laugh with the people ive met in the past at low level shoots!

• Advertisement
Advertisement