Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brakes Question

Options
  • 21-09-2004 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭

While I was driving home from work this evening I noticed the ABS light was on on the dash but the brakes seemed to be working fine. While I was stopped at the level crossing I switched off my engine as usual. on restarting the ABS light went out and didn't come back for the remainder of the drive; but frequently when I push the brake pedal there is a very heavy vibration in the foot pedal which I can hear and feel also the brake pedal is rock hard sometimes. This is a new vehicle 5000 miles up which I will be bringing back tomorrow to get checked out. What I am wondering is it safe to drive it out myself Dunlaoghaire to the Airport road in this condition as it it a heavy vehicle with alot of tools and equipment onboard. Any opinions? At the moment it seems to be stopping fine despite all this.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Get that looked at. Rock hard braking can mean failing master cylinder or vacume servo unit or the pump if its a diesel.
    The judder sounds like warped discs or pad lining or loose mounting! But on a vehicle of 5000 miles thats not likely.

Check to see if the brake fliud level is correct look for leaks around the master cylinder thats the bit with the pipes comming out of it at the front of the servo unit (bright roundish silver thing)

As for driving well I would'nt myself if I could call someone out.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Yep it's a Diesel alright, I dont think it the disks as you would probably feel it through the steering as well whereas the vibration it confined to the brake pedal itself and is intermittant. I think I will do as you suggest and get it towed.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Doesn't the brake pedal pulsate when ABS activates during heavy braking?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Yep, ABS does make the pedal pulsate. Sounds to me like the ABS is faulty, that it's "kicking in" even during relatively light braking. The fact that the light came on would also suggest a problem with the ABS.

BrianD3

My understanding is that it does pulsate, but what i'm getting is loud and severe. even in stop / start traffic with light braking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

This does sound like your ABS system is kicking in even under light braking I notice with my car sometimes going over those small speed bumps that is causes my ABS to kick in and I get that shuddering of the brake pedal and a vibration throughout the car as the ABS comes on as well as the light, incidentally I was told that this is normal on my car and not to worry about it, but I would say your that its problem with your vehicle.

Remember ABS cause the brakes to rapidly engage and disengage from the discs many times a second to stop the wheels from locking up altogether.

Got it back to the dealer this morning and they hooked it up to some diagnostic machine. The problem was a faulty sensor was causing the vehicle to think it was in a skid for some reason. All sorted now.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Redshift wrote:
    Got it back to the dealer this morning and they hooked it up to some diagnostic machine. The problem was a faulty sensor was causing the vehicle to think it was in a skid for some reason. All sorted now.

Thanks

Me quietly glad I have no sensors to speak of in my old car!

Mike.

Advertisement