Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alias

• 21-09-2004 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know anything about plans to show the series 'Alias' on an Irish station?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Smurphy

It used to be on Network 2 at 7pm on Fridays.
    They showed the first and second seasons and then just stopped showing it.

The third season is long over. I saw it on the Satellite channel "Bravo" and as far as I know, this was the only channel in UK/Ireland to show the third season.

The fourth season is not starting in the States until Jan. 2005 so it's a bit early to know what channels(if any) it will be shown on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Typical RTE (or TV3 for that matter) abandoning a series halfway through. Doesn't say much for Sky One to dump it after the second year either. I'd say Titan Magazines were sorry they brought out a magazine dedicated to the show; not sure how sales went, but can't have been good when most people didn't get to see the series.

Network 2 (or RTE Network 2 or RTE2) really need to get their act together, dump the endless reruns of Friends and actually stick with some of their decent imports rather than a) not show them at all or b) dump endless excellent series into the night time schedule after 1am. (There was a rumour RTE were just buying any old thing that was half-interesting to stop TV3 getting their hands on it, and showing them in prime time.)

If you have access to Five (UK's Channel 5), they now have the rights to the series for UK terrestrial transmission, so you may still have a chance to catch series 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Well I was hoping that either RTE or Sky One were going to show it, cos I don't have bravo or FIVE. I know that the last season is well over cos i've been reading the episode guides on the net, I love the show, I can't believe they are not showing it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

doh.ie wrote:
    Typical RTE (or TV3 for that matter) abandoning a series halfway through. Doesn't say much for Sky One to dump it after the second year either. I'd say Titan Magazines were sorry they brought out a magazine dedicated to the show; not sure how sales went, but can't have been good when most people didn't get to see the series.

Network 2 (or RTE Network 2 or RTE2) really need to get their act together, dump the endless reruns of Friends and actually stick with some of their decent imports rather than a) not show them at all or b) dump endless excellent series into the night time schedule after 1am. (There was a rumour RTE were just buying any old thing that was half-interesting to stop TV3 getting their hands on it, and showing them in prime time.)

RTE rarely dump shows, they just turn up at some seemingly random time in a late night or daytime slot.

As soon as Sky moved it from 8pm weeknight to 11pm+ on saturdays halfway through series 2 they had given up on it and were just running through the remaining episodes in the series, they had done that on several other programmes before.

Network 2 have dumped a few in the past - DS9 and Voyager both began there and had run several episode (DS9 had one and a half seasons) before RTE decided not to continue.

But Alias would've had a stronger, more mainstream profile, which makes not continuing with that one especially odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Ha. I was going to mention those two as the only exceptions I knew about.
    For whatever reason RTE have never been too bothered with Star Trek.

I asked Bob Collins about this once at an RTE public meeting in Sligo and his reply was that Sky had paid for complete Irish rights and that prevented RTE from showing them any more. (This was around the time DS9 was halted seven or eight episodes into season 2.) However, that said, they then went on to show Voyager a few years later and then stopped that at episode 12 of season one! So I'm not sure I believe the Sky explanation. They must have just decided the show wasn't worth continuing with audience-wise. (Ironic considering it's a staple part of Sky One's diet... and the popularity can't be that low - I see Fabri have released the UK partwork here now as well.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

heres what rte had to say about alias when asked by me last month

"RTÉ have Series 3 of "Alias" under licence but,
    have no plans to transmit this Series within our
    Autumn Schedule.

Again, thank you for your e-mail.
    Your support of RTÉ is appreciated.
    Kind Regards

Brigitte (Murphy)
    RTÉ Communications"

has any 1 seen thret matrix late tuesday nights ??? i enjoyed it alot
    also smallville seems to have vanashed going from been shown on random saturdays with jogn doe to not at all.

Forgot all about Smallville. Did it never end on Network 2? Very, very shoddy treatment. And they think a revamp to RTE2 will cause people to return to the channel?

How about showing programmes without interruptions to the run, at the same time
    each week in order to BUILD viewer loyalty, not just yank every programme as soon
    as the ratings look a bit iffy!

alot of people felt smallville was fine where it was on friday night, csi is another 1 they cut mid-series, though being 1 of its highest rated shows it'll no doubt be back safe and well in its monday night slot, as said earlier in the thread they have a habbit of pulling shows or airing stuff that was axed from us schedules, line of fire on tuesdays and john doe on saturdays, to their credit they did put our license fee to good use (depends on if u like the shows) by getting the drop on sky and channel 4 by showing season 5 of the soprano's and season 3 of 24 before them.

• Advertisement

Agree they were on the ball with 24 and The Sopranos (and Friends most of the past few years - hence all the US-like breaks in schedule). They also plan to have Joey first, and will no doubt be back with ER before anyone else before Christmas as well.

However, the danger with RTE and the reason I look elsewhere for 95% of all the shows I now watch, is that they have such a poor track record you just simply never know when they'll yank something mid-series without any explanation (Smallville being the best most recent example) or move its time/day without telling you, rest it for several months but not at its natural break point (end of a season) or, worst case scenario, just abandon it, presumably forever!

You'd have thought 24 and The Sopranos were too good and too popular to toy around with, but then they've been stupid in their treatment of Law & Order and CSI, both highly rated.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

doh.ie wrote:
    You'd have thought 24 and The Sopranos were too good and too popular to toy around with, but then they've been stupid in their treatment of Law & Order and CSI, both highly rated.
    Indeed. C.S.I. has vanished from the schedules - I don't seem to recall a reason why either. Instead we're "treated" to old Season 3 repeats on a Thursday night rather than the new Season 4 that was on Monday evenings. What's up with that?

And their treatment of the Law & Order franchises is sickening. It will vanish for weeks without notice. I've noticed now that they're showing Law & Order on a Tuesday evening - when did they announce that? For what it's worth, the Season 11 finale is this Tuesday and, with no episodes this week on Wednesday, I'm assuming it was their effort to try and finally finish the thing off. I'll assume then that there will be only Law & Order: Criminal Intent which wasn't treated quite as nastily.

ixoy wrote:
    Indeed. C.S.I. has vanished from the schedules - I don't seem to recall a reason why either. Instead we're "treated" to old Season 3 repeats on a Thursday night rather than the new Season 4 that was on Monday evenings. What's up with that?

Quite simply, RTE's belief is that outside of summer (when CSI was treated reasonably well), prime time viewing must be made up of largely domestic programming - and so you'll find the CSI slot (after the news) is now taken up with all kind of Irish material.

It wouldn't surprise me if RTE now kept CSI off (RTE One at least) until well into the winter, until the domestic programming begins to run out and they need good-rating filler material again.

ER, and at one stage The Practice, on Sundays has consistently been one of the few shows to escape this insane treatment.

the last run of csi which was ended half way through season 4 started way back from half way trough season 3 so i guess no body pays attention to the episode numbers, as some one said earlier they look elsewhere for tv shows, well i looked "elsewhere" for season 5 of csi last week and was sorry i did, its a sure case of i needed to see the end of season 4 first, just to warn others who might have been tempted,

while on the csi subject i wonder will rte pick up csi:new york which started in the us last week, having looked "elsewhere" for this also it has to be said it was weak as far as 1st impressions go

Advertisement