Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC Radio 4 in car?

• 21-09-2004 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

i used to be able to get BBC Radio 4 on the AM channel in my car (in Dublin) but it seems to have gone missing and I can't find it. Anyone know what happened, and whether I can get it back? Apart from summer, when it's riddled with cricket (summertime, home of sexists), it's a good station.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

198 kHz LW, its where its always been, where I was listening to the cricket earlier today :)

It is available on 720 kHz on MW/AM in the Northern half of the country, also 774 Khz around Enniskillen. I just checked on my car radio here in Dublin, I can get 720, loud and clear (for MW at night) but not on 774, it is only a 1kw tx anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Hmm. I had it on 720 and it's gone and I can't tune it back. This is AM, on the car radio in Dublin.

Loud and clear again here tonight :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

U say u get it loud a clear on am/lw but how clear do u mean?U never get stations on those bands as good as fm stations.I think your statement is false because u cannot get it clear on am or lw without a lot of interference

U say u get it loud a clear on am/lw but how clear do u mean?U never get stations on those bands as good as fm stations.I think your statement is false because u cannot get it clear on am or lw without a lot of interference
    Well that might be the case in Thurles, but anywhere on the East Coast including Dublin 198 longwave is loud and clear.
    The only interference is when you drive under or near an ESB line or under a bridge and of course other electrical interference which is variable..
    Its not as sharp as FM obviously but it's very clear...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

It also depends on car and radio. The dad has a Blaupunkt in his 99 Golf and the AM is so weak!!! I have a Blaupunkt circa 1990 in my 1990 Vectra and the AM reception is fairly good. A pal of mine has people carrier with a Sony radio and the AM is great. I only listen to AM in my truck and if you stick with it you'll learn to hear it better.

Time to put on the pedant shoes....

Of course, I meant its all relative to MW/LW reception. No one mentioned FM and you obviously didn't see my comment above "loud and clear (for MW at night)"

As for AM reception in cars, I often found that Peugoets and VW had poor AM reception. I cant fault Opel, any Corsa or Astra I've been in has had good for AM.

Advertisement