Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unwanted Search Bar

Options
  • 22-09-2004 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭

I thought this would be the best place to ask, I have this unwanted IE search bar which just appeared today for some reason. The problem is I can't delete it. The file is called "search" and it's located in C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files. Any time I try to delete it, it says the file is in use.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Is IE closed when you try to delete it?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Try closing down all windows of IE, go into Control Panel, and into Add/Remove Programs, and see if its listed there. It proberly is, if I'm thinking of the right one. All you have to do then, is remove it.

Please ensure all your Internet Explorer Bars are closed beforehand, tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Best place to ask eh ?

Moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Try rebooting in safe mode. then try to delete it from there. also make sure your AV and spyware is upto date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

IE is closed when I try and delete it, and it's not listed in add/remove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Can you take a screenshot of it. I might have had the same one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Sounds like a bit of Spyware. You probably got it from visiting some site or downloading some free software. Get "Spybot Search and Destroy "or "Ad-aware" and that should resolve any problems. Both can be downloaded for free and should cure the problem. Try and identify which searchbar it is and then use something like Google to do a search for its name and you should find the way to resolve it. I had a similar problem recently with spyware, but I got it resolved using the software I have mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Yes indeedy. sounds like some nice bit of IE spyware or maybe something more.

Get yourself Spybot URL=http://kujoe.com/freeware/spybotsd13.exe]here[/URL or Ad-aware [google] and they should remove them. Spybot might need to reboot and run again to fully clear it all out. Also run a virus scan just incase, if you dont have any anti-virus software installed try AVG from Grisoft.com. Its possible that the spyware got onto your pc through either a defect with Internet Explorer [most likley] or maybe even a virus.

Now, lets sit back and wait for someone to reccomend you use Firefox to browse the web with...

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

download a program called cwshredder.exe - it is good at removing unwanted search bars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Here's a picture of the search bar btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

get webroot spy swepper its class

Advertisement