Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom - It all comes back to me

Options
  • 22-09-2004 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Fresh from defeating the demon hordes of Doom 3 I indulged a whim of nostalgia and dug out Doom 2. Almost immediately I regressed to 1995 and it all came back to me.

What came back you might ask - was it the monsters, the pounding soundtrack, the familiar weapons or the adrenaline pumping excitement?

No.

What came back to me were crippling headaches and gut wrenching seasickess. No more than ten minutes into the game and I could feel my head beginning to spin.

How did we ever play games in those days? Thinking back I can vaguely remember day long bouts of nausea following a long gaming session.

Thank God for 3D graphics accelerators.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Hmmm never happened to me. I just usually saw imps when I closed my eyes. But then my depth perceptions never been great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

This Doom seasickness was reasonable common going by the newsgroups of the time. Personally I suspect my particular sensitivity had something to do with the fact that my two eyes have slightly different focal lengths (I am a spectacle wearer). One thing that helped for me was to cover one eye with a patch and play away. My partner thought I was mad.

I'm not sure why modern high resolution games don't have that effect.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Indeed, Doom, Wolfenstein, Descent and friends gave me intense vertigo and migraines. Evil!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I have heard of this before. People play this kind of game and within a few mins they feel as if there going to get sick. Most people wont and dont have to worry about this condition. But its something im glad i dont have. To think about all the game that i would not be able to play. Like the game Low Wang, duke nukem and so on.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

some poor bastard on a metroid forum suffered this whenever he tried to play metroid prime :eek:

imagine owning the greatest game made in the past 10 years, and not being able to play it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭df001i6876

amp wrote:
    Hmmm never happened to me. I just usually saw imps when I closed my eyes. But then my depth perceptions never been great :)
    I know this is not the place to nit pick, But how long are you planing too ban. me from humanities. i a wait your answer.from df001i6876. i had a stroke not so long ago.and allso do you like too pick on some one ill.

Advertisement