Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watercooling it is!

Options
  • 22-09-2004 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

yeh f00kit im gonna go for it

been talking around and stuff and realised its probably best/cheaper to make my own kit up from various sites and whatever

so this is what ive been thinking:

DangerDen TDX Athlon64 block - lucite top - £39

Black ice Extreme Radiator - £52
    however i seem to be having troubles finding it in stock so maybe:

ThermoChill 120.1 also around £52

As for fans ..(the Black ice can have 1 on each side cant it?) well im open to suggestions for fans here...something that really will do the job well but nothing over the top loud..i dont need "silence" though

Dual Floppy bay Res £24 (never gonna use these two)

Pump - DangerDen 12V-D4 - £50

some Blue UV reactive DangerDen 1/2" tubing - around £10

25ml bottle Water Wetter - £3!

and if i build a custom kit on this site they bung in some uv reactive dye..which is nice

total - £178 not including fans as im yet to know which to get yet, so about £200, then ill sell my zalman get about £25-£30 for it..watercooling kit for £170

:confused:

So does this kit seem ok to your people who actually know stuff about watercooling ..as i dont really :rolleyes:

im open to suggestions for fans and alternative parts...but thats my budget seriously at the top now so if you want me to change anything then something else is gonna have to be changed too :(

what do you think then? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

I'm a beginer on this one, gonna get my first watercooling in a few days, maybe a nVentiv system! will learn more about it when I have it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

I have blackice radiator, noticed no difference what-so-ever with a fan on both sides.....

get one with a good cfm to dba ratio...dont forget you'll still need fans blowing on ur AGP/PCI/Northbridge if your not watercooling them too.

Make sure the tubing is the right size for the pump and[/n] waterblock...although its all danger den so shud be cool. They're meant to be good kit alright.

Test for leaks outside of the case, away from your good stuff...

Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

just looking at fans..deltas bigggg cfm..noise 48?! im sat here bitching at my 40mm hard drive fans in the cooldrive doing 29!..48 i dont think so :rolleyes:

*will keep looking*

Papst fans are good...and quiet!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

http://www.hitide.ie/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_22_37/products_id/181

U could get that one n save on postage(u can pick it up in dub) and the guy who runs the place is extrememly helpfull... It comes with papst fans two, the ones it come with r near eough silent and have a decent cfm.

Ps. Thats the kit I have at the mo, works a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

If i was to get water cooling for my amd 2500 mobile would the cpu block be compatible with newer cpu chips when i upgrade in the future?
    Would you have to upgrade the lot or just a cpu block

Jozi

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

The block would be fine, u'd just need a new mounting bracket... My kit came with 3 different mounting kits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

So your as well of getting a good one straight away, bit like an investment if you want.
    Thanks

Jozi

the reason ive picked what ive picked is because i dont want to go hacking into the case..so the rad has to just be a single 1...well i know where my rad will go and ive got about..25cm space or so..before it hits the bottom dvd writer and single rads are like...17cm so i wont fit dual in there

the res...i dont want an external 1 im gonna be filling my 2 floppy bays as they are of no use to me and i want my case..again in tact

from what ive read this is 1 of the best cpu blocks..? if im mistaken then could someone link me to some better ones, i also chose that pump as you can adjust it i believe to make it faster or slower..depending how loud you want it to go so i thought id do that..see how loud "loud" is and hope its not too loud then i can leave it full and it surely is a pretty good pump..also its nice and small..which is good because i want everything internally ...thickiest pipes i could find ...thought might as well get uv ones as its gottta be better than boring see through tubes :p

there was a reason to what i picked im just hoping someone can tell me if its gonna be a good set up, if its worth it and is it gonna give me a decent overclock :p

the one from ireland sounds good but as i live in uk saving on postage isnt an option :rolleyes:

also ill look into these papst fans...

btw ..watercooling..in my opinion is pretty damn dear ive got this under the influence that when the time comes i can upgrade..and not have to buy anything..for instance i get a new chip/mobo..the most ill have to buy is a new cpu block..i can keep the pump/rad/tubing ...and add more blocks if i ever decided to cool my video card down

this all correct?

yep, just change the block if your upgrading.

make sure the tubes fit into the block/pump!

The floppy drive res is cool, i'm gonna get a dual 5.25" one soon...

Single rad should be grand for just cooling your CPU!

• Advertisement

aye well..if im gonna do it..im gonna do it proper...i nearly shed a tear parting with £40 for this heatsink...spending £200 on watercooling..although i can reuse it over and over..its probably gonna kill me parting with the cash..so ive just gotta make sure its all good and is gonna rock :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

I'm sparing a gran on a new case and cooling system, hoping to get the best I can!

we dont alll have that sort of cash :(

if only...

thats if you mean grand..and not your gran :p

ViperVenoM wrote:
    aye well..if im gonna do it..im gonna do it proper...i nearly shed a tear parting with £40 for this heatsink...spending £200 on watercooling..although i can reuse it over and over..its probably gonna kill me parting with the cash..so ive just gotta make sure its all good and is gonna rock :cool:

whack up the voltages and FSB and it will rock all the way passed 3800+ clock speeds...

yeeehoo thats the plan :D

so would anyone change anything in that list..or shall i go ahead an order tomorrow...with a papst fan? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

StRiKeR wrote:
    I'm a beginer on this one, gonna get my first watercooling in a few days, maybe a nVentiv system! will learn more about it when I have it!

Are they back in business since they filed for bankruptcy some while back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I bought UnlkeRosco's Innovatek XXD the other day and fitted it this evening after leak testing over the last day or so.

My superlocked (bastards!) XP3000+ was running very hot even with a Volcano11 sitting on top and using Artic Silver paste. Typical diode temps were 47c Idle, and 61c under load (Planetside or Farcry) in a Xaser III case which sounded like it was going to take off from all of the fans.

As of this evening idle 27c, Load (Planetside all evening) 33c and the best bit is that my powersupply is the loudest sound in the room !

So watercooling is the way to go for performance and a quiet life !

The Innovatek kit is definitely worth a look, very easy to set up and does the business very well. The most traumatic bit was figuring out how to fill the res while it was in place in my PC, but an old small Ballygowan bottle butchered into a funnel with a high back as a splashguard did the biz, nust have learned something from all those Blue Peter episode I was forced to watch as a kid !

mine isnt quiet ..or wont be after getting all my stuff yesterday..i placed stuff in my case only to find ..they wont fit!...the case is messy enough anyway with all the extra fans and lights and stuff...

soooo..CM Stacker on the way :D...im really looking forward to seeing what temps i get and can overclock..i know Jammer here has a 400+ overclock and his tubes are like..the half the thickness of mine, so im hoping for around 400 or so myself at least :D

as for noise..ive had to get a fan controller (also in post with stacker)...im hoping running these 41dB monsters at 7v will get them below 30...my hard drive rack coolers have 40mm fans in running at 29dB..they are the loudest thing in my case and i can put up with it easily..so if i get these under 30... :D !

just gotta weigh up now the best place to put everything in this monster of a case that will be here on friday...i really hope i dont get the same sort of temps im getting now ...

Advertisement