Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Speed Increase?

• 22-09-2004 1:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Noticed tonight that my download speed has increased from 1 to 1.5 Mbps. Anybody know what's the story?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Free upgrade unkel. Everyone got it. My 600kbs is now 750
    I thought everyone knew about that, where have you been!!? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bus77 wrote:
    I thought everyone knew about that, where have you been!!? :D

Cheers bus77 :)

I vaguely remembered a similar post a good while ago (been busy) but did not recall it was for free. Nice one anyway - I'm happy

To put things into perspective though, m8 in the Netherlands got cable internet nearly 3.5 years ago. Back then he got 1.5mbps for about €35. Same thing I apparently got today for my €50 per month :rolleyes:

If we were civilised, we'd have 100mbps fibre optics into the residential home by now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I thought everyone knew about that, where have you been!!?

I didnt know about it either. Got a letter back when they upped the 512 to 600, but nothing this time. Any more info available?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

they haven't upgraded you yet?
    give them a ring and they do it over the phone right away
    1800 321 321

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭daymobrew

http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/internet_cable.html

Note that the speed increase was done around 31st August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Afaik, you can connect to your modem to find out what your connection speed is. It should have been automatically set, and done by 21st August.

Afaik, the link is
    http://192.168.100.1/ but I can't check it from here.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

If thats the ip the user is:root pass:root
    if thats not it, check the other threads about ntl Upgrade 1mb to 1.5
    should be back on page 2 of this forum

Hmmm. Mines a motorola surfboard sb4100, no info as to service speed when i point my browser at the modem. Its using the tmota4100-silver.cm config file, which seems right, but the logs show failed unit upgrades - "Unit Update - Not updating. This image is not for this platform."

Ive been away while these upgrades were made. Its jacked in via USB (1.1) to the comp, would that cause a speed bottleneck? *edit* doh, obviously not

I max out at about 85KB/sec (680 kilobits/sec) off ftp://ftp.esat.net/pub/linux, does that sound right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

open up the docsis config file and see what the max speed is set too. i presume you know how since you've a sb4100 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 iksaw

"silver" config file = 750k

going on your download / spe"edtest it's on the correct one

• Advertisement

TCNiSO wrote:
    Lets look at some more stuff :)
    Current Download cap is: 750000 bps
    Current upload cap is: 128000 bps

Sweet!

*edit* BTW, anyone got a copy of the mota4100-silver.cm and mota4100-gold.cm files off the ntl tftp? I never could manage to get them down to have a look.

Advertisement