Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hellblazer : Setting Sun

Options
  • 22-09-2004 9:52am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Picked this up last friday and have re-read it several times. Contrary to my fears & expectations, it was actually a very good read. I wasn't entirely keen on Ellis' version of Constantine as depicted in Haunted - he seemed a bit forced, in a "oh look, this is him being a bastard, and here he is being vulnerable, and here's him showing that he cares for people in his own twisted way, and here's the token gruesome bits because, well, this is a horror comic after all" sort of way.

But the short stories in Setting Sun work really well, to my mind. With the possible exception of the one dealing with ex-girlfriends (which is annoyingly familiar to a short story he wrote a while back in his writing blog on Livejournal), they all felt like "proper" Constantine stories without feeling in anyway forced. And this, coupled with the unpublished story Shoot that was intended for issue 141, makes me wonder where he'd have gone with the character if he'd stayed on long tem.

Anyone else read it? Thoughts?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Got it myself on Friday. The artwork from one of the stories (can't remember which on but it wasn't the girlfriend one) seemed a bit off. I particularly like the one where he is throwing the reporter off the scent. I certainly enjoyed it more than any of the hellblazer run that came after it (I started collecting it again with the issue straight after this collection).

Advertisement