Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stigmata

Options
  • 22-01-2000 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Just seen it and personaly I tought it was pure Sh1t.

VENI VIDI VICI

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I can see why some people would really hate this movie. It is very, very weird, and the trailers were all wrong - they presented it as some kind of action movie along the lines of End of Days, which it is not.

It's an "engage brain before watching" movie. I personally thought it was superb, if more than a bit freaky... I really, really loved the clever cinematography, and the small symbolic touches. If you're into the whole religious symbolism thing - which many people are - then you will probably love this movie, and of course, Gabriel Byrne is superb as usual.

Not one you bring your granny to see, mind. But anyone with a passing interest in religion - or who just likes f***ed up movies - should go see this.

Ja,
    Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Shaft1

They shot this film like a 2 hour music video,Patricia Arquette barely broke into decent dialogue once with somebody. Complete and total crap nothing ****ed up about it at all,if you wanna see ****ed up get out The Freaks or Gummo

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

After I seen it, I was left with a neutral feeling. While I didn't enjoy it, I didn't *not* enjoy it. I thought it was an interesting concept, but apart from that nothing to really applaud or critise.
    It's a film I would recomend waiting to see on video.

Draco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

If that guy didnt want to kill her nothing at all would have happened in the whole movie.
    puke, not even worth seeing on tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

I thought Stigmata is a pretty good film compared to the other 2 recent films with religious themes. End of Days was just pure predictable action ****e. Dogma was good but had too much theology and it tries too hard to look like an art house film except it's not and obviously had a big budget. Stigmata, like what Shinji said, has really good cinematography and the story was pretty cool. Not everyday we get a movie that says the church is the bad guy and is the insignificent part of the religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Thrasher

I have to agree with Rob. I went to see this before reading any of the reviews, the day after its release. I really enjoyed it.

Obviously, it had its faults, but I thought the idea was interesting, especially the visually sickening portrayal of the crucifixion wounds.... Having read the reviews subsequently, I was disgusted by the standard of Irish (and British) journalism. The film was instantly dismissed, no attention was given to the message of the movie which states that the church has become too powerful, and is acting hypocritically against the wishes of its founder (i.e. Jesus) all in His name.....

Whatever your religious beliefs may be, I think there was a message in this film which was too easily ignored simply because it was one of the directors first serious films. Had David Lynch or David Cronenburg made exactly the same film, it would have caused many more people to talk about it, instead of shrugging it off.

Oh yeah - and Patricia Arquette and Gabriel Byrne were great.

[This message has been edited by Thrasher (edited 04-02-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

I thought this movie was crud. Pure unadulterated crud. Are people not getting sick of the jaded messages about catholicism we get from movies? I mean the vast majority of them pray on the undeniable visual/atmospheric value of that church. The stained glass windows, gregorian chants, the incense, it all makes for very arresting movie making. Problem is, we all know the roamn church has too much power, and is corrupt, and is too wealthy and are a bunch of old men, etc. etc. etc. Stigmata was ridiculous. It based itself completly on visuals and as a wise man once said, "digestives just won't do, and neither will flashy MTv style pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Lemmy

I'd have to agree with Draco on this one ..while it wasnt good it wasnt bad.And i didnt think it was one of Gabriel Byrnes better performances.In fact I thought he was better in End of Days(even though it was pure $hite).Well....just my views !

Bah, I liked End of Days; not particularly intelligent as a movie, but it made a good action movie, and Gabriel Byrne rocked; he had the whole Kaiser Soze uber-bad-dude thing going down. Some excellent one-liners there too, which he carried off in style; "Something good happens, it's a miracle; something bad happens, hey, he works in mysterious ways..."

Ja,
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

saw stigmata over the weekend and i enjoyed it.
    visually i thought it was excellent and the music was cool. had a very gothic feel to with lots of pretty heavyu riffs in the background all the way through.

i dont thin kthe whole message was about the catholic church or corruption. in fact i dont think the message was in anyway religious at all. i think it was more about the whole human condition.
    was kinda shocking though when shes on the train and she just suddenly gets these welts out of nowhere.
    but the most horrible thing was when they ar checking the wounds in the hospital on her hands and they take of the bandages and the blood just pumps out.....never been very good at those kinda scenes.
    even e.r. makes me want to vomit sometimes sad.gif

anyway, overall i though it was enjoyable
    want to see house on haunted hill for the laugh. looks pretty good fun

• Advertisement

I wanna see House on Haunted Hill when i'm drunk, I dunno if I could sit through it sober smile.gif

Anyway, I'll just have to go see American Beauty over and over again until The Beach comes out tongue.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

Haven't seen the film and frankly have no desire to see it now. THANKS A LOT GUYS!

tct

Advertisement