Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Free Day

Options
  • 22-09-2004 10:52am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What a load of crap! Why choose to hold a car free day at this time of year - why not summertime when it is more likely to be a nice day and the schools are off? Management in Dublin bus neet lobotomies if they think that a good incentive to get people out of their cars would be to give free travel between 10am & 4pm. (apparently they are giving away 20,000 1-way tickets but not really announcing where to get them!).

Why on earth would I give up my car with all its comforts to sit beside some stranger on the bus (after waiting an eternity in this rain) or get the sub-3rd-world train (after waiting an eternity in this rain)?
    Jebus, I didn't even know about it until I heard the news in my car this morning!

Apparently there is a (minimal) website for this rubbish (somehow I don't think the photo of the kids playing at the launch of car free day today was taken in todays weather!).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

Personally I think a "free car" day would go down alot better. Give everyone cars for free for one day and watch them clog up the already congested roads. Great idea ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Every day is car free day for me, 20 minutes to work on two wheels when it would take 75 in the car.. every morning is a joy.. every evening is a joy!

Viva!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The reason that Dublin Bus are offering free travel between 10am and 4pm is that most people are at work during that time and can't avail of it. Money makes the world go around after all. ;)

Also, I'm sure the date was picked well in advance on the basis that the weather in mid September has been quite good during the last number of years.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The last time I was on a bicycle, I was knocked down so feck that! I am seriously considering a motorbike but have to sort out training & the missus first!
    The majority to use the busses during thoses times will probably be pensioners who travel free anyway! Apparently the date was chosen by the EC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I was out earlier this morning, 10am and there were loads of cars around, just as many as usual if not more. I think the only positive action that has been taken is they have closed Kilkenny high street to cars. That is actually a good idea in general I think. The high street is very narrow and loads of people walk along the side of the road when it's busy. It should be made pedestrian, with service and delivery vehicles entry only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The carpark in work has never been as full as today...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I love this country.

You'd think we'd be used to rain, and when we smell it coming, on goes the rain gear, and the commute as normal. But no, as soon as the drips start, cyclists are into their cars, bus commuters are into their cars and pedestrians are into their cars. Don't forget the Mammies who get up early so they can drive their darling little angels 2 minutes around the corner to school. Couldn't have them getting wet, could we?

/me hugs his bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Bloody RTE (radio 1) announced this that Dublin Bus would be charging as normal today...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

there was more cars than usual on the roads due to the rain.

silly sausages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

seamus wrote:
    Don't forget the Mammies who get up early so they can drive their darling little angels 2 minutes around the corner to school.

...in their range rover/freelander/pajero/land cruiser.

now THAT's convenience!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

there was more cars than usual on the roads due to the rain.

silly sausages.

No rain here in sunny Kilkenny. :D (not yet anyway, I know is coming, it never takes long!)

Advertisement