Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer of Sam

Options
  • 24-01-2000 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭

Spike Lee's new movie - went to see it last night. I'm told it's been cut to ribbons in the Irish release, and came within an inch of being banned.

It's about the serial killer known as "Son of Sam" who caused massive panic in the USA one summer in the mid Seventies.

Now, I don't like Spike Lee, or his films. I find him to be a moany whining sod who has about as much real depth as the lyrics to a Fugees song. However, this movie is probably the best one he's ever made, to my mind... If mainly because it doesn't feature black people whining like bejesus about everything under the sun.

The movie has some good acting performances (although Mira Sorvino is the only name I recognised in the credits) and the script is quite clever in places - it does an interesting turn-around in theme towards the end. In a lot of places, it's a really good movie... Sadly, it falls down in a lot of others.

Worth going to see, but it's very so-so, which is a shame - in the hands of a more capable director, it could (and should) have been a stunningly good flick.

Ja,
    Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i went to see it during the summer in the states and thought that it was pretty good....
    i'll go and see it again soon and see if its been edited much... wouldn't surprise me though if the us version got the chop too

very strange plot smile.gif
    but i thought it was good overall
    worth the trip and admission

MiCr0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Good god, what else have they chopped?
    I'd hate to think that they chopped bits from the US - Matrix or something....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

shinji
    take the puss off your face
    wha movies has spike lee done tha hes moaning?

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

When *isn't* Spike Lee moaning? While his films do have valid points about racism and the general sh!tiness of inner city life, he does go on and on and on and on and on.....there is raising public awareness and then then is whining, and he tends to cross the line too often.

Draco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Not the BEST director around? I liked Summer of Sam, but for my money, he's one of the WORST directors around... Take Malcolm X, for example. No please, take it, and go far away with it.

He whinges until he gets money for films. When studios turned down his request for funding for Malcolm X (because they figured it'd be rubbish, how right they were) he moaned about how he was being oppressed for being black until he was given money just to go away. Then he made his overlong, bloody awful movie, and whinged and moaned about being oppressed until they gave all the black kids a day off to go see it.

Someone shoot that man, please?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

You can't shoot him 'cause then there will be a bipoic of him and all black kids will be made see it and all white people will be made feel guilty for oppressing him.

Draco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

I just never bothered seeing any of his films smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

ughh yous all havent seen "clockers" than
    camera angles are ughh amazing to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

spike lee is not the greatest director about.
    the only thing hes famous for is being a black director making films about black ppl
    and they arent even good films. all stereotypes, characatures and melodramas.
    if i want that i'll watch the simpsons. its funnier....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

nope, camera angles were 'nauseating' to say the least..
    actually thats the most you could say about them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

eh?, amazing camera angles do not make a good director smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

I think most of his films sucked and to tell u the truth...i'm not really looking forward to this one either......I prefer a more light hearted movie...like "Mystery Men"...Now there is a great film.....Everyone in that film should get a medal for being absolutely hilarous!!!!!

tct

Advertisement