Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford TD - Ethical ?

Options
  • 22-09-2004 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

It is reported that the Wexford TD Dr Liam Twomey is joining Fine Gael.

This man was elected as an Independent on a specific platform.
    Am I the only one who thinks that is un-ethical for him to change his stance and join a party during his term of office?
    After all he was elected presumably in preference to other Fine Gael party runners in that election. The electorate made a choice and said "we don't want a 'party' member, we want an independent" or words to that effect in electing him.
    Had he joined Fine Gael the day after the election, would the electorate been angry? I think so. If it would have been wrong then its wrong now, surely the voters are being cheated now.

I think he should stand down and an election be called to see if he is really what the people want, given his change of heart.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

yeah really you shouldn't be allowed change your allegiance mid-term.
    It's a bit dishonest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Not entirely ethical but any regulation that would stop a TD from doing this would breach their personal right to associate with a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

Not entirely ethical but any regulation that would stop a TD from doing this would breach their personal right to associate with a party.

we will see if the electorite agree with his decision to join Right-Wing Facist Blue Shirt Christian Conservatives in the next election..

Ah, The joys of a democracy and freedom to choose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

personal right to associate with a party.

I think he should exercise that right in the context of an election rather than afterwards.

What about the rights of the electorate?
    Are they not entitled to an Independent TD if that's what they voted for?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Get him out at the next election.

And let him know how annoyed you are in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Course it's ethical. Normal practice. It's not unusual, or wrong, for elected members change sides.
    Yes your man was elected on a single issue, but he probably felt that he was getting no where as an independant especially when the Government doesn't rely on their vote to stay in power. So he probably felt that he should jump to the ship that looks like sailing to power after the next election. I think his electorate will forgive him for that.
    However, it's a risky business. First he'll have to get elected as a FG TD. And then he'll have to hope that FG forms part of the next government. And there are no gaurantee for either of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Hagar wrote:
    Am I the only one who thinks that is un-ethical for him to change his stance and join a party during his term of office?
    Has he changed his stance on the issue that he was elected for (I think it was hospitals wasn't it?)

Ultimately he was elected to serve his constituents, and if he feels that he can best do that within a political party then there is no problem. The voters may feel they specifically wanted him as a single issue candidate but I'd be surprised if they wanted him as a non-party one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Hagar wrote:
    After all he was elected presumably in preference to other Fine Gael party runners in that election. The electorate made a choice and said "we don't want a 'party' member, we want an independent" or words to that effect in electing him.

If he was elected on a specific platform, then unless that platform was "vote for me, I'm not a party man", then the above comments would seem to be somewhat contradictory.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

sliabh wrote:
    Ultimately he was elected to serve his constituents, and if he feels that he can best do that within a political party then there is no problem. The voters may feel they specifically wanted him as a single issue candidate but I'd be surprised if they wanted him as a non-party one.

I think he probably feels the shinners breathing down his neck, and thinks he may have a better chance of retaining his seat within Fine Gael

• Registered Users Posts: 78,416 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hagar wrote:
    Wouldn't it be more unethical for him not to show his colours?

Ultimately the politicians that condemn such moves are only out to get mileage themselves.

• Advertisement

The TD was interviewed on Today FM last night. Matt Cooper informed him that a number of independent TD had been in contact and expressed their disapproval of his actions. He was branded a sell out.

By his own admission he has received "many phone calls" from voters complaining about what he had done. He said he also received "some phone calls" of support. My reading of this is the people who voted for him are annoyed and expressed it while the local Fine Gael people welcomed it.
    By the way he was not "afraid of the shinners breathing down his neck" he was actually elected by transfers from Sinn Fein voters. This is fairly common with independents who are often voted in as a protest against the local mainstream parties. In my mind this just makes his joing the party worse.

Let's face it, if this was a clear cut case of him being within his rights to join Fine Gael this matter would not have been debated on the national airwaves.

Hagar wrote:
    By the way he was not "afraid of the shinners breathing down his neck" he was actually elected by transfers from Sinn Fein voters. .

eh- Sinn fein will be challenging strongly for his seat in the next election.

He won't have a seat after the next election, but he will still be a doctor and drawing a tax-free TD pension for the rest of his life. The net value of the pension is probably bigger than most peoples wages.

jd wrote:
    eh- Sinn fein will be challenging strongly for his seat in the next election.
    Afair Clllr Dywer got around 5000 votes in Wexford in 2002,thats pretty significant.
    Put it to you this way,he has in my opinion based on his profile as good a chance of getting elected next time round as say Nicky Kelly does in Wicklow-and thats a strong enough chance.

Earthman wrote:
    Afair Clllr Dywer got around 5000 votes in Wexford in 2002,thats pretty significant.
    Put it to you this way,he has in my opinion based on his profile as good a chance of getting elected next time round as say Nicky Kelly does in Wicklow-and thats a strong enough chance.

Exactly ....\and his profile was raised by the European elections

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I think that people seeing merit in voting for independents may have passed.

Lots of independents cause political instability.

Independents see themselves as independent and radical but outside political partys they are out in the political wilderness.

If they do not hold the balance of power - their power to influence change is low.

Advertisement