Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

elliot smith

Options
  • 22-09-2004 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭

just heard about some elliot smith tribute that happening in cork. Anyone know when or who is playing? Is there gonna be anything similar in Dublin?Anyone any info?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

a good while ago now there was a gig in dublin for him, heard reports from very big elliot smith fans that it was awful and general discontent was felt by the people that really loved his music, i hope the one in cork is better

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fat slide

yes elle, it's in the lobby on union quay on the 27th of next month. can't wait for it- he really meant a lot to me and derrick, who are both playing at this.

the full line-up (as far as i know) is :

myles o'reilly (juno falls)
    ellison9
    paul o'reilly
    ian whitty
    kilter
    dave nelligan
    barry haugh
    steven ryan (windings/giveamanakick)

myles and paul are both brilliant. this should be a great night.
    i think the release of the album he was working on when he died coincides with this too!

long live elliott smith!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

The new Elliott album is out the week before the Cork tribute, the 19th i think.
    There was a tribute in the Village in Dublin in January this year, most people i know who went (and are huge fans of Elliott) thought it was actually pretty good- don't know who you were talking to that thought it disappointing!

The only let down was a few acts who played their own songs that had rather tenuous links to Elliott, but luckily they were few and far between. Some pretty class versions were played by Iain Archer and Turn to name but a few.

Cork trib promises to be a great night. And, as always, its for a good cause. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sweetoblivion

hey there, aoife here, the girl behind the Elliott Smith Tribute in Cork!

Here's the official press release:

Myles O’Reilly from Juno Falls, Cork-based troubadour Ian Whitty, and 2FM favourites Ellison9 are just three of the acts paying homage to the late Elliott Smith at an intimate tribute gig to be held at the Lobby (Cork) on Wednesday 27th October. The line-up also includes Dublin-based Paul O’Reilly, Cork musicians David Nelligan, Dave Ferriter (of the band Mir), John Kelly (of the band the Fallen), Barry Haugh (of Wondrland), and Kilter as well as Windings (Steven from one of Limerick’s most lauded bands - Giveamanakick).

Elliott Smith was a cult musician who released five solo albums. Before his untimely death on October 19th last year he was putting the final touches to a sixth album From a Basement on the Hill (set to be released 19th October). Following his death, musicians such as Beck, Badly Drawn Boy, The Flaming Lips, Ben Folds, Duncan Sheik and Bright Eyes paid tribute to him in words and in song.

Worldwide tributes to Elliott Smith have taken place - now it’s time for Cork to pay its respects to the man who has been described as “a most humble musical genius”. For fans that missed out on the Belfast and Dublin tribute gigs – then this is the perfect opportunity to mark the first anniversary of Smith’s death, in what is set to be one of the musical highlights of the year.

The gig will take place at The Lobby - Cork’s premier music venue on Wed 27th Oct at 8.30pm sharp. Tickets cost 10 Euro and are available from the venue now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sweetoblivion

Hope some of ye can make it!

Aoife B.

• Advertisement
Advertisement