Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acid Web Solutions - alternatives ?

Options
  • 22-09-2004 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

First the site was down, now it's up, but there's no live support, they're not answering emails & the voice mailbox is full.

Is there any other address apart from post@acid.ie ?

Are they still trading ?

I got a mail from the domain registry saying they had requested the removal of my domain from their details, but I never got anything off them. I mailed them & they never replied.

So now I'm in need of a new host... Anyone as competitive as they were ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

www.host.ie
    www.freehost.ie
    www.blacknight.ie
    www.hosting365.ie

And lots of others - check out the closed Host forum for a thread with them all listed.

I used acid years ago and found them fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

First the site was down, now it's up, but there's no live support, they're not answering emails & the voice mailbox is full.

Is there any other address apart from post@acid.ie ?

Are they still trading ?

I got a mail from the domain registry saying they had requested the removal of my domain from their details, but I never got anything off them. I mailed them & they never replied.

I'm also wondering if they're still there?!?!
    I paid for a years renewal and hosting in mid september (15/16th), having mailed peter to confirm prices etc, but the domain registration has lapsed since the 10th and both acid.ie and acidwebsolutions.com are saying "account suspended"?m, there's been no reply to any emails either.

I'm in the process of copying my files from their server now, in anticipation of them never returning...

can anyone shed some light on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

Very bad business practise (not to mention customer service). One of the reasons I went with http://www.siteground.org as a replacement service.

I've NEVER had a decent service from any Irish host I've been with - I'll freely admit that I haven't been with them all, but out of nine or so in the last couple of years, they've all either had lousy service or rip off prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I've NEVER had a decent service from any Irish host I've been with - I'll freely admit that I haven't been with them all, but out of nine or so in the last couple of years, they've all either had lousy service or rip off prices.

I'm sorry to hear that.

• Advertisement

I'm sure you are blacknight, and it may be very much "one brush", but that's the experience I've had.

Site ground have been utterly professional to deal with from start to finish & are incredibly inexpensive.

I think the Irish Hosting Market has improved an awful lot in terms of professionalism in the last few years in terms of pricing, customer service and reliability

that still doesnt explain what happened to Acid, or where my money is...

If you paid via credit card you can initiate a chargeback via your credit card company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

I always think its good to physically visit a company you are going to do business with if your website is important to you.

• Advertisement

I would have thought that dealing with an Irish company would be a guarantee of good service.

Nothing's a guarantee of good service.

Step 1 is how many Irish hosts are actually 'real'. Ie: have an office, multiple staff, ltd. company status, own their own servers, route their own traffic, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Very bad business practise (not to mention customer service). One of the reasons I went with www siteground org as a replacement service.

There is a something unusual with the way that siteground is being promoted here. This is nothing to do with the quality of siteground's hosting it is just the pattern of promotion. And it is just another reseller of a reseller. If your site is Irish, then it should be hosted in Irish IP space as it is better for search engines. You may get a cheap hosting deal on these n-th level resellers but if you are dealing with an Irish audience, then Irish hosting is better as your site will be included in the "pages from Ireland" results.

Regards...jmcc

Step 1 is how many Irish hosts are actually 'real'. Ie: have an office, multiple staff, ltd. company status, own their own servers, route their own traffic, etc, etc.
    That's still not a guarantee of good service.

It shows the company is

- a real company
    - has committed and invested in the business
    - is committed to delivering a good service, or they wouldnt stay in business long

As jmcc says, its the reseller of a reseller of a reseller the consumer needs to watch out for, as there is little committment to the industry. We as a company have spent vast amounts of money in building a reliable, resilient service with excellent customer support. One would expect we can provide a better average, more consistent level of service to all our customers that a one man operation running from the front bedroom of his house.

As I said, there are no guarantees, which is why someone who's site is important to them should physically meet the provider and assess them.

As I said, there are no guarantees, which is why someone who's site is important to them should physically meet the provider and assess them.
    I honestly doubt if you would want all your clients coming out to your offices to talk about taking €100 shared hosting accounts. That would be just silly.

I would agree about the "reseller of a reseller" point jmcc made. The further away you are from the source the less control you have over the hardware and infrastructure.

On the other hand a lot of the smaller players, who do not have their own hardware etc., can offer very good service, so I would not be too dismissive of ALL of them.

It is largely irrelevant how big a company is or what kind of money it has invested if this has been done badly or the company culture is not pro-client.
    If you have a look at some of the biggest companies in the market (not hosting market - general market) how many of them are renowned for "excellent" customer care?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

what is this "cus-to-mer care" you speak of???
    - eircom tech support

sorry, had to be done.

blacknight wrote:
    If you paid via credit card you can initiate a chargeback via your credit card company.
    fraid not, sent it by bank trasfer, same as i did last year, and the year before.
    I'll try calling them tomorrow, and i'll go down there on friday if i still cant get a hold of peter.

Good point, but as someone else said, it's a personal website, i'm doing about 3000 visitors a month, but most of those (all but about 500 i think) are just because of my sig image :P

Acid resell your hosting dont they? (hosting365?)
    Obviously its nothing to do with you if there's nobody THERE, but earlier when i tried to access www.acid.ie earlier there was an "acid.ie - this account is suspended" message from one of your servers, so i'm guessing its not just a technical thing...?

jmcc wrote:
    There is a something unusual with the way that siteground is being promoted here. This is nothing to do with the quality of siteground's hosting it is just the pattern of promotion.

Nothing unusual at all. I actually got them from one of the google links above from this site. The one I have there is a personal one.

In the past I've had them hosted with Irish sites (including one Major one) with nothing but hassle (or cost issues).

It's the "World Wide Web". Doesn't matter where it's hosted. I could be sitting on a wi-fi enabled beach in HAwaii right now posting this, that's the beauty of it.

It can be hosted ANYWHERE!!!

Acid, were Irish with a registered office, phone line (not mobile) multiple staff - didn't do me any good when they suspended my domain.

• Advertisement

Nothing unusual at all. I actually got them from one of the google links above from this site. The one I have there is a personal one.

In the past I've had them hosted with Irish sites (including one Major one) with nothing but hassle (or cost issues).

It's the "World Wide Web". Doesn't matter where it's hosted. I could be sitting on a wi-fi enabled beach in HAwaii right now posting this, that's the beauty of it.

It can be hosted ANYWHERE!!!
    That's only true up to a point.
    As jmcc pointed out, if your site is not hosted in Ireland it will not appear on the "sites from Ireland" listings. This may not matter for a personal site, but would do if you were trying to sell services into the Irish market
    Unfortunately you have had a very bad experience with an Irish company.......

I still stick with my 'visit them' philosophy. I dont do business with a company unless I physically 'check them out' and yes, I have no problem talking in person to a customer about a 100 euro a year hosting plan, we do it almost on a daily basis!

I still stick with my 'visit them' philosophy. I dont do business with a company unless I physically 'check them out'
    So have you visited every single supplier you use?

All the ones that are important to my business, absolutely.

All the ones that are important to my business, absolutely.
    So hosting365.co.kr was a case of planting the flag for H365 when you were in Korea visiting the motherboard suppliers. ;)

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote:
    So hosting365.co.kr was a case of planting the flag for H365 when you were in Korea visiting the motherboard suppliers. ;)

Regards...jmcc

Of Course " we host you long time" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

I can give some free hosting as long as it's nothing overly complicated.. just PM me your email address.

Sposs wrote:
    H365 - service with a smile? :)

Regards...jmcc

Sposs wrote:
    Aidan

Are you branching out into "bullet proof" hosting?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Igy wrote:
    Good point, but as someone else said, it's a personal website, i'm doing about 3000 visitors a month, but most of those (all but about 500 i think) are just because of my sig image :P
    you mean the image that isn't working?

Advertisement