Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

attaching a file for ftp submission

Options
  • 22-09-2004 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

I have a website on the net, and I want to set up an FTP page. Basically, what I want to do, is have a Browse button, where the user can select the file, and an upload button to put it on a specified folder on the server. I haven't a clue how to do this, and I have created my entire site in Dreamweaver. Help please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Are you using any scripting languages - PHP, ASP, Coldfusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

If your site has ftp access you could do it that way.
    If you have cgi scripting access you could get the 'Submit' button to send the file to a cgi script that would copy the file to the required location on the server. Security and disk space will be big issues here, though you could put in some authentication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭zag

I'm a complete noob when it comes to programming languages. I assume I would have to use Perl or Javascript or something, but I wouldn't know where to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It would depend on what kind of languages your host supports. Perl, PHP, JSP or ASP are about the most usual.

If you host supports PHP, you can PM me with what you need, and I'll sort you out. I would recommend heading off to learn it yourself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

You can do it with Frontpage.

Otherwise, vBulletin forums have the feature.

There are some scripts out there too, I never got one to work but didn't spend too long on it:

www.topscripts.com
    www.totalscripts.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You could do in most scripting languages, like PHP, but you would need to be very careful about adding "sanity checks" ie. only allowing certain file types.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You host also has to allow it - many don't allow file uploads not via ftp (you are not ftp'ing the files really) for security reasons.
    Who is going to be using this feature? Will you have to restrict certain types of files (*.exe for example)?
    Find out what languages your web host supports (ASP/PHP/perl & cgi/coldfusion) and let us know and we can help better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭zag

Cheers for the input lads. I'm now wiser for it. Seamus helped me out with this yesterday. Thanks Seamus.

Advertisement