Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*unix server box

Options
  • 22-09-2004 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭

hi guys,

We're moving office soon, and I wanted to change our existing server win xp pro (presently only used for filesharing and internet sharing) to a unix box for internet sharing and as a mail server and use the current windows server for internal file storage, running server based software.

So I wanted to know how difficult is it going to be to set this up? based on the fact that I have little or no experience with *unix, but I'm a very experienced both windows and mac user? What distro should I use? are there drivers for most of the dsl modems? can we still use VoIP services?

Sorry for the mass of questions... :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

This might be a better question posted in the OS area. But here's my 2cent.

Probably the simplest way to implement this is to get a well supported distro like Redhat Fedora. Build the OS and consider the following:

Internet proxy server (Squid)
    Samba Server (SMB server for Windows OSes)

Quite a number of DSL modems are supported, but you could also get a ADSL modem / router. That way you just need an ethernet interface on the server (which you will already have). You may not then need a proxy server (depends on you logging requirement) by setting the ADSL router as the default gateway for all internal hosts. This would also then be your firewall.

The advantages of Redhat is the wide-support available and the GUI tools available to manage users, disks, etc.

Have fun,
    JayoK

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You should really ask over on the Unix board

My two cents:
    Keep it minimal. Once you decide what you need to get setup only install the tools you require for this. RedHat has an awful habit of giving you too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

If you're a bit wary of *nix, have a look at some of the all-in-one distros, like ClarkConnect or Astaro.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 connie00

Any decent linux distro should do ya to be safe stick with the one of the main ones Suse, redhat, mandrake. Most broadband modems should work, especially if you connect using an ethernet connection shouldnt need any drivers. You should look at dsl router modems as there self powered and connect independantly so your linux box should connect as a lan connection no configuration necessary :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 versa

Try SME Server www.contribs.org its free to use. I have it running at home as a file server, web and mail server, internet gateway and have had no problems there are add ons foe virus scanning and updating, stats etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭simonm2

mac os 10 = *nix

If you are planning to spend money on this, get an Xserve - it should do the whole lot out of the box with a typical mac interface. The various mac boards will help you a lot with this as this is a run of the mill scenario. If you have any moderately recent G3/G4 you could buy os x server and install it. It should run fine - just remember to mirror the disks for some redundancy.

The only issue with moves from Win to *nix of any flavour is support for Exchange/Outlook shared folders calendars etc. File sharing, basic email etc is no problem.

Advertisement