Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Binge drinking

• 22-09-2004 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

I'm gobsmacked to hear that "binge drinking" is defined as 6 units of wine in one go, under internationally agreed parameters.

How many "glasses" of wine in a bottle, anyone know, since 1 glass = 1 unit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Where is your source? what Units are you referring to?

According to this, 6 UK units is 2 1/2 pints or half a bottle of red wine, that can't be considered binge drinking :confused:

http://www.ex.ac.uk/trol/dictunit/notes6.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Tonight's News - I think it might have been Sky's "Irish" service, not sure - a doc called.... ummm... Kiely?... was saying this was the international definition.

Sorry, that "six units of wine" should have read "six units of alcohol". Since wine is what I'd usually drink I had to reclaim my dropped jaw from my glass when I heard it, and must have mistyped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

A pint is 2 units so over 3 pints is binge drinking bloody hell

But waitaminute, I'm sure I've heard that one glass of wine is one unit? Unless you're using a Connie-dodger of a glass, one glass isn't a half-pint!

From an English website, Patient.co.uk:

What is a unit of alcohol?

One unit of alcohol is 10 ml (1 cl) by volume, or 8 g by weight, of pure alcohol. For example:
    A half-pint of average strength beer, cider, or lager (4-5% alcohol by volume) contains one unit. Note: many beers are now stronger than the average 3-4% alcohol by volume.
    A small pub measure (25 ml) of spirits (40% alcohol by volume) contains one unit. A standard pub measure (35 ml) of spirits contains one and a half units.
    A standard pub measure of fortified wine such as sherry or port (20% alcohol by volume) contains one unit.
    A small glass (125 ml) of average strengh wine (12% alcohol by volume) contains one and a half units. Note: Many wines are stronger - up to 14-15% alcohol by volume. Also, wines are often served in large 175 ml glasses.

A more accurate way of calculating units is as follows. The percentage alcohol by volume (%abv) of any drink equals the number of units in one litre of that drink. For example:
    Beer at 6% abv has six units in one litre. If you drink half a litre (500 ml) - just over a pint, then you have had three units.
    Wine at 12% abv has 12 units in one litre. If you drink a quarter of a litre (250 ml) - two small glasses, then you have had three units.

Some other examples
    Three pints of beer, three times per week, is at least 18 units per week. That is nearly the upper weekly safe limit for a man. However, each drinking session of three pints is at least six units, which is more than the safe limit advised for any one day. Another example: a 750 ml bottle of 12% wine contains nine units. If you drink two bottles of 12% wine over a week, that is 18 units. This is above the upper safe limit for a woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

6 units a binge? That's madness. Either that or Irish people are mad. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Wow, if 6 units is the internationally agreed limit for binge drinking, then pesonally I would consider binge drinking being on a diet ;)

Seriously though this needs to be taken in context, I think what they mean is that drinking 6 units or more every time you have a drink is binge drinking, as opposed to having a glass of wine with lunch, an aperitif before dinner and maybe a couple of beers in the evening...........not something the Irish are incredibly good at...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Bateman wrote:
    6 units a binge? That's madness. Either that or Irish people are mad. :confused:

nail.head. nation sick with alcahol and no responsible attitude to drug use or abuse.

welcome to the planet earth, may I take your coat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Super Glue

Bateman wrote:

I am going to write this is CAPS to get my point across

"DRINKING IS BAD FOR YOU" knowing from experience and plenty of it drinking is very bad for you excpet it moderation when it is relaxing to sit down and have a drink or two a couple(twice) of times a week - I have had my fair share of illness and problems from it and I am only 26 years old -

You think that you are drinking responsibly cause you can still remeber most of the night and you are still upright after 5 -7 pints simular amount of shots and a few bottles and another misconception is that its OK I wont be drinking until next weekend so I will have enough of a rest period during the week - One word WRONG - At the end of the day alcohol is poison and does your body harm except in the amounts stated above as you body can absorb and deal with it safely

I know this has been a bit of a rant but just let me sum up that "DRINKING IS DANGEROUS"

Super Glue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

I just came across the following on www.irishheart.ie

"Do not drink more than the recommended upper limits: 21 standard drinks a week for men and 14 standard drinks a week for women, spread out over the week.

One standard drink
    = one half pint of beer, stout or lager
    = one small glass of wine
    = one glass of spirits (whiskey, vodka or gin). "

Agreed it does state 'upper limit' but that still equates to over 10 pints a week.

Cal

• Advertisement

that's like telling fat people "don't eat 50 bars of chocolate in one week" it's a ridiculously high number because you know you're not getting them down any further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

So that 13.1 units I drank in an hour last night was binge drinking?

(shoulder of vodka... very irresponsible I know... but a cheap night all the same)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

Irish people are mad. It's a rite of passage here to develop the ability to drink unhealthily large amounts. It's always surprising how little most people in most countries drink.

when i was in holland a few weeks ago, i went out to a pub to see a band play.. and one thing that really shocked me towards the end of the night was in the last hour or so of the set.. i noticed that alot of the people i saw in the pub that were drinking, also had glasses of water beside their beers. I was just not used at all to this level of responsible drinking, it was a bloody shock :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

yeah irish people are mad with drink...

and this cannabis drought in dublin that seems to be occuring at the moment can only make things worse.

it's not just in dublin :(

something has to be done about this

i hear ye man

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

luckat wrote:
    Beer at 6% abv has six units in one litre. If you drink half a litre (500 ml) - just over a pint,

Surely that should say just UNDER a pint at 568ml or am I being too anal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

ferdi wrote:
    and this cannabis drought in dublin that seems to be occuring at the moment can only make things worse.

me feels sorry for all the poor smokers who have to resort to an expensive, poisonous, toxic, liver-destroying, hangover-causing alternative such as booze.

- and on topic, 6 units of alcohol isn't binge drinking, its breakfast after binge dringing.

Gurgle wrote:
    cannabis drought ?
    My hairy eyeballs and I beg to differ!

me feels sorry for all the poor smokers who have to resort to a poisonous toxic liver-destroying hangover-causing alternative such as booze.

lucky bastid!!!

i hate drink, smoke rules

• Advertisement
Advertisement