Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dial up, crazy prices from smart telecom

• 22-09-2004 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

hi all

since leaving eircom to smart, the 1892 internet number i use to connect has been charged with smart, since we dont pay line rental with eircom no more

the phone bills we got in recent months have been astronomical, and we are leaving smart now..

one bill 2 months ago was 300 euro plus, and the last bill over 1000 euro!

they charge something like 4 euro for less than an hour off peak, eircom charged something like less than 3 euro for 4 hours surfing off peak

my clue-less mother hasnt a clue, we are not paying this crazy fee.

isnt this mad! :mad:

they emailed me saying there is definately a mistaker, but they havent got back since.

if you switch to 'cheap telco ' providers, you cant avail of flat rate dial up internet access....? most dial ups need you to have line rental with eircom? hence the crazy prices from smart using the 1892 number.

this is driving me mad, i cant wait to get broadband in cork when i go to uni.

hoop

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

You say you cant wait to go to uni in cork,but no need to wait cause satellite broaband is available EVERYWHERE! no matter where you are.But the downsides of it are it is not sutible for gaming as there is a delay between the satellite but it IS sutible for everything else you may want to do on the internet and the other downside is it costs 99 euro per month.I know its not that cheap but its still way cheaper than what you are paying smart for dial up access.Why not check out www.digiweb.ie and click on satellite to get more info on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Satellite services are terrible. They have very low traffic caps, generally provide poor service and are a right pain in the ass to use - never mind the extortionate costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

if you switch to 'cheap telco ' providers, you cant avail of flat rate dial up internet access....? most dial ups need you to have line rental with eircom? hence the crazy prices from smart using the 1892 number.

1. 1892 IS NOT FLAT RATE , 1893 is Flat rate
    2. ESAT and Perlico (and maybe others) both offer their own flat rate package, line rental and cheap call bundles that you can take all together and save a lot of money.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

hi all

since leaving eircom to smart, the 1892 internet number i use to connect has been charged with smart, since we dont pay line rental with eircom no more

the phone bills we got in recent months have been astronomical, and we are leaving smart now..

one bill 2 months ago was 300 euro plus, and the last bill over 1000 euro!

they charge something like 4 euro for less than an hour off peak, eircom charged something like less than 3 euro for 4 hours surfing off peak

my clue-less mother hasnt a clue, we are not paying this crazy fee.

isnt this mad! :mad:

they emailed me saying there is definately a mistaker, but they havent got back since.

this is driving me mad, i cant wait to get broadband in cork when i go to uni.

hoop
    Would it not be better to actually get the facts straight before going off half cocked? You said that Smart have acknowledged that there was a mistake, so follow up with them and get it sorted out.

As for "if you switch to 'cheap telco ' providers, you cant avail of flat rate dial up internet access....? most dial ups need you to have line rental with eircom?" Are they statements or question? Because as far as I know, neither of them are true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Since moving to Smart I can't dial up with the original number for No Limits, 1332103001235.
    Eircom blocked all calls that weren't voice calls.
    After a bit of a fiasco with Smart they gave us a new number which isn't a flat rate number but they aren't going to charge us for the calls.
    A total pain in the ass.

But this leads me to another question.
    If I'm using Smart can I get broadband from IOL or UTv? Or will that be blocked too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Makaveli wrote:
    Since moving to Smart I can't dial up with the original number for No Limits, 1332103001235.
    And what about the 1893 number? - the 13321 number is a CPS over-ride number, so it's not too surprising that it's blocked.
    But this leads me to another question.
    If I'm using Smart can I get broadband from IOL or UTv? Or will that be blocked too?
    DSL has nothing to do with "analog" services on your telephone line (whether voice or data). But UTV require you to sign a CPS agreement with them to get DSL and that woul replace Smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

ESAT never gave me an 1893 number when I rang them.

Advertisement