Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars vs Star Trek in 5 minutes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Mike wongs site hes a uber star wars fanboy who offen gets people from his sites forums to "invade" star trek boards to flame and cause trouble total **** stain if ever there was one

http://www.st-v-sw.net/ i find a far better site thats less biase (but some what towords star trek)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You just can't compare the two in my opinion.....

First off, and leaving the books of both sides out for the purposes of this, there have been 5 Star Wars movies so far vs 10 Trek Movies and 5 Trek series (6 if you count the animated series).

As a result we've seen FAR more of the technology in Trek, especially as many episodes are Techno-babble/technology heavy and often an integral part of whatever the plot of the show is, and also the writers make an effort to explain the science behind the technology as well.

Star Wars has never been about the technology - it's just something that's "there" - and as such everything I've seen about capabilities is pure fan conjecture. In other words, the effects guys working on Wars just "make it up as they go", adding lasers or whatever as necessary to meet the plot requirement, whereas at least in Trek there's an attempt at consistentcy by the producers/effects houses (we'll leave Enterprise outta this for a minute :))

So therefore in my opinion - even though both are complete fiction in the end - the "arguments" comes down to Trek having established and consistent technology grounded in real-world capabilities (mostly), and Wars having technology and capabilities that is almost totally made up on the spot for the particular requirement.

On that basis then, Trek is by far the more superior.

Hmm..reading back through this it's not the clearest thing I've ever written :) but hopefully you guys get the idea.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

You really can´t compare the two. If there is one constant in both than it is this: They are both unique and different to the likes of Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and so on and I guess thats the reason why they r so succesful.

In the same way you cant compare Lord of the rings with Harry Potter you certainly cant compare Star Trek to Star Wars.

Period :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

You can tell u dont like Startrek from a mile off or who ever made that web page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Star trek IS MUCH BETTER because its a MYSTERY being in space (And they explore new things)

The original star trek WAS THE BEST ever for the kind of series it was :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Jaysus.. I don't remember writing that ^^^ :P (6 year old thread!!!)

Advertisement