Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norton firewall problem...

Options
  • 22-09-2004 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Hey, i have a 100% legal copy of norton internet security and every time after about a month of a fresh install my firewall stops ALL traffic including internet explorer. Is there something up with my norton? Ive updated norton, scanned fora virii, updated the firewall, scanned again... checked all the user setttings and absolutly nothing works!

Its at the stage where if i want to use the internet i have to take down my firewall... like now for example! Even with the firewall enabled i cant update with the liveupdate build into the software - how crap is that?!

Can anyone come up with a solution?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Moved to more appropriate forum.

Let me explain: you're having a problem with a Windows application. That application may perform some security-related functions, but your post is essentially a request for technical support.

This isn't what the Security board is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Hmm, now I have this exact problem. I ran a liveupdate yesterday and now I can't access the internet now without disabling Norton Personal Firewall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Check that you don't have another firewall installed. If you installed SP2, ensure the windows firewall isn't activated.

Also try and ping out. I saw a weird problem with Norton where it just blocked DNS traffic. Try and ping by IP:

216.239.59.99 is Google

I did install service pack 2 a couple of weeks ago and didn't like the limiting incoming connection restriction so i rolled back to service pack one. I've had no problems at all until I ran the update last night.( I've ran several supdates in between ). By the way, I've no problem pinging that address.

Uninstalled Norton Security and reinstalled. All working again, very strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

i had the exact same problem never figured the cause of it either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Guys in having the same issue with the firewall too what is the solution ??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

from the symmantec support site

Norton Firewall/Norton Internet Security
    Installing Service Pack 2 will not affect Norton Personal Firewall or Norton Internet Security. The Windows Security Center, which is a component of Windows XP Service Pack 2, will be aware that you have Norton Personal Firewall or Norton Internet Security installed, but it will not be able to determine its working status due to Symantec's tamper-protection technology.

Symantec has released an update which adds compatibility to the Windows Security Center so that it may report the status of your Symantec security software. This update is included in Norton Personal Firewall 2005 or Norton Internet Security 2005, and is available by LiveUpdate for Norton Personal Firewall 2004 or Norton Internet Security 2004. The update will install on Windows XP, but will not take effect unless you have the Windows Security Center installed.

Advertisement