Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica coming back next summer?

Options
  • 22-09-2004 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭

My friend heard that Metallica were coming back to Ireland next summer. Has anyone else heard this rumour?

~Sarah~

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

as soon as I realise what useless bastards they are, they start coming every second year. why couldn't they have done this 5 years ago before I actually developed musical taste. bah.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Mordeth wrote:
    as soon as I realise what useless bastards they are, they start coming every second year. why couldn't they have done this 5 years ago before I actually developed musical taste. bah.

:D

Jaysus, wasn't two shows in two years enough? If its true, it gives new meaning to the term "flogging a dead horse".

Are they hoping to become the new RHCP?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Are they hoping to become the new RHCP?

Do you mean by being awful live and no better studio too,imho already there

Pyr0 wrote:
    Do you mean by being awful live and no better studio too,imho already there

Well, that as well...

I was thinking the playing here every summer to put a few million € in the retirement fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I think I referenced them to Bon Jovi before, same deal as with RHCP. Now a terrible terrible band, would give away/burn free tickets tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    I think I referenced them to Bon Jovi before, same deal as with RHCP. Now a terrible terrible band, would give away/burn free tickets tbh!

let's just burn them and be done with it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Sounds like a plan! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

fire fire

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I doubt Metallica will be touring next year, unless they have something to promote, which is unlikely. Sure, they'll probably keep playing behind St. Anger into next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 loud_noise

i ****in hope there not..... sellouts.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

lets hope they get a good support this time....

well slipknot were actually pretty good but still... stinkin park and *too **** a name to actually type*...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Im not a big Metallica fan but.......Pyro they do not suck live I thought that was a rediculus thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I saw them live this June after seeing the Chillies in Phoenix Park and I have to say that their [Metallica'] show was fathoms better than the Chillies.

I really don't think it's fair to be putting Metallica in the same league as those sell-out bastards. The major difference that I would see between them is that while both bands are still able to put on a very good live act, the Chillies save it for when a DVD or CD is being recorded. I saw that for myself this summer. The Chillies put on a show that quivered in comparison to the show they put on in Slane. Why? 3 letters: DVD. And as for Metallica, I found their show in the RDS to be thouroughly worthy of the money I paid for it. Over two and a half hours of Music, Fireworks and proper interaction with the crowd, when you consider the Chillies were on for just about the hour and a half mark, had naf all stage props and once again relied on Flea singing the first three words of the national anthem to get the crowd going, and when I say crowd I am of course referring to the drunkin idiotic 14 year olds in attendence.

Whatever your opinion may be of whether Metallica are over the hill/has beens/sell-outs or what have you, I truly feel that comparing them to the abominational sell-outs that are the RHCP is flagrantly unfair and unjustified.

I would also question the quality of anyones perceptive organs were they to deem Metallica as not being a good live band. Granted your attention span may have run thin with regard their albums, the songs may repetative at this stage and they don't seem to be writing tracks of the same quality of years ago, but to allow for this to sway judgement on their live hows is sheer lunacy. The fact remains that as musicians, performers and a stage act, Metallica are still right up there with the best of them.

And as for them coming back; on foot of what I saw in the RDS I for one would probably go and see them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

hope not!
    Is anyone gonna check out their movie - some kind of monster?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

No. Metallica suck.

Neil3030 wrote:

Whatever your opinion may be of whether Metallica are over the hill/has beens/sell-outs or what have you, I truly feel that comparing them to the abominational sell-outs that are the RHCP is flagrantly unfair and unjustified.

As the person who introduced the RHCP into the thread in the first place, let me restate my initial meaning:
    I was thinking the playing here every summer to put a few million € in the retirement fund.

I stand by that. It is a sign of lazy promoting to keep bringing the same acts over year in, year out, and I blame the bands involved as much as the promoters.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, and I'm not surprised you thought Metallica gave value for money this year, there's plenty more like you (search for the threads about the gig itself if you want), but I don't care how good they were, they can't keep playing here every year!

Next year I would like to see an Aerosmith + AC/DC double bill in the RDS instead of Metallica. And if the RHCP show their faces I'll cut their f*ckin' throats...kidding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Dest

metallica bashing... how original

Defending Metallica... how pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Dest

what did i defend?...

and when I say crowd I am of course referring to the drunkin idiotic 14 year olds in attendence.

and this differs from recent metallica gigs how? i was at their second last show, where the darkness and linkin park played and I managed to get into the pit (thanks again, you know who :) ).. and with the exception of maybe 15 other people I think i was one of the tallest there by a few bloody inches, and the average age seemed to be 16 or younger, all wearing stupid st. anger tshirts and every god damned one of them CLUELESS to any song that wasn't released in the past 2 years

now I've nothing against people getting into bands "late", and "after they've been cool".. but if you're only there to hear songs from one ****ing album you do not belong in the pit. the pit is for people who actually know the songs, like the band and want to have an experience, not people who think "fran tic tic tic tic tock" is music and that metallica are cool and 'edgy'.

rant ends here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

The person asked whether they are meant to be playing this summer. Theres allready 1000 other threads about what yere opinions are about the group is there the amazing need to drag it off?

To answer your original question there are no plans of as yet for them to come back again next year.

don't censor me.
    we were just filling the void until someone answered their query, now that you have we can go back to metallibitching.

hetfields gay

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Mordeth wrote:
    hetfields gay

"metallica loves you"

Dest wrote:
    what did i defend?...
    Nothing, just making a point.

Metallica deserve every bit of bashing they get from metal fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

First 5 albums were great, some even classics, but after that they went downhill.

James started drinking more and his voice started to go (he can't sing well anymore), Kirk's nose started shrivel away and his fingers just can't solo as well any more, Lars' actually did happen to have something resembling a sun shining out of his arse, and Newsted left. Then they 'reform' and sell out arenas worldwide. How the hell can you expect them to be good after that?

Advertisement