Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Magner cider

• 22-09-2004 10:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭

So i was up the north today and i noticed an advert for magner cider which had the same font/style and tagline as bulmers cider down the south. I am wondering is it available in England/Scotland/Wales ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

well over here magnars has always been the name for bulmers. the website says that they change their name wher abroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

magners = bulmers in the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

magners is bulmers..

magners is available in Scotland now (i think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I assume its the same as the Opel = Vauxhall thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭ronano

Stekelly wrote:
    I assume its the same as the Opel = Vauxhall thing.

MY WORLD IS COLLAPSING AROUND ME!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Not to mention Persil = Daz = Ariel = Surf* ;)

Kinda, same manufacturer, anyway...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

yeah, its probably something to do with Bulmers plc from the UK (owns stuff like Scrumpy Jack)

I wonder what Bulmers means in relation to cider, or is it just an amazing co-incidence...

flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

/on the side note

just went to the magners site there.

on entering the site it asks the question -> "Are you over 18 years of age? Yes/No". if you click No it says -> "Sorry - It appears you are not qualified to enter this Website" - then you can select Yes... surely it should lock you out of the site - if you say no. (if you are dumb enough to unclick the default yes - that is)

What is the sense in the question in the first place.. ? Could someone please tell me :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Covering their asses legally, I suppose... The same way that (I'm told) pr0n sites have the warning...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

bulmers is called magners in ther uk and oversea's because in britan there is a small brewry which had a beer called "bulmers". it's easier to call all export stock "magners" then just the export stok for the uk, hence why bulmers export is called "magners"

:0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

Not sure what way it went but didn't Mr. Magner buy out bulmers? He never changed the name at home as it already had a base but has been marketing the exports as magners for years and years....
    Remember someone telling me onetime ... I'll ask when I go home the weekend....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

What is the sense in the question in the first place.. ? Could someone please tell me :eek:

AFAIK the reason why the have to ask is because the advertising of Alcoholic beverages is illegal in certain countries like France (I think?) and with the global nature of the internet I think they are just covering their asses.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

ronano wrote:
    So i was up the north today and i noticed an advert for magner cider which had the same font/style and tagline as bulmers cider down the south. I am wondering is it available in England/Scotland/Wales ?
    To answer your question on availability, it's readily purchased in most Irish pubs in London...and I'd think the Toucan (honorary Irish pub) in Soho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Its pretty popular in NYC from what i remember
    tastes the exact same
    cant get pint bottles though which was a disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

IrishMike wrote:
    Its pretty popular in NYC from what i remember
    tastes the exact same
    cant get pint bottles though which was a disaster

Yep, last time I was there, I quizzed the barman on it. It's bulmers, hence it tasting the exact same. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

It's Magners as well in Switzerland - but about 6euro a pint. Saw it in Spain this year and Portugal last year. Tastes the exact same as Bulmers. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

It's not bulmers. The company that's own the trademark Bulmers only owns this trademark in Ireland. They developed Magners Original Irish Cider which is sold internationally. Magners is not made in Ireland but it is made abroad using the exact same process hence Magners and Bulmers are identical in terms of product taste and characteristics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

FX Meister wrote:
    It's not bulmers. The company that's own the trademark Bulmers only owns this trademark in Ireland. They developed Magners Original Irish Cider which is sold internationally. Magners is not made in Ireland but it is made abroad using the exact same process hence Magners and Bulmers are identical in terms of product taste and characteristics.

Okey Dokie... So eh, it is Bulmers, but it's just made elsewhere and called Magners!?

Dr. Loon wrote:
    Okey Dokie... So eh, it is Bulmers, but it's just made elsewhere and called Magners!?
    this reminds me of that bit in Catch 22 where yer man is going on about wanting rosey cheeks so he sticks apples in 'em, only to find that they were actually little balls (not apples) and stuck in his hands (not his cheeks)...or something like that...

Yeah, that makes total sense, this reminds me of the time grumpytrousers made a post that couldn't be understood on boards.ie, no wait, that time is now!

• Advertisement

FX Meister wrote:
    Yeah, that makes total sense, this reminds me of the time grumpytrousers made a post that couldn't be understood on boards.ie, no wait, that time is now!
    Erm, the idea *was*...that it wasn't meant to make sense and i admit that not having a copy of C22 to hand made it make even less sense.

We seemed to be reaching a conclusion where we have a brand of cider that isn't made by bulmers (ireland), isn't made IN ireland, isn't called Bulmers and yet, for some strange reason IS STILL BULMERS in everything but name...

i mean, have we stumbled on an inverse rule regarding something that walks/acts/quacks and yet is or isn't a duck... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

FX Meister wrote:

Maybe in some countries. I have had magners on draught in holland, saw the actual unopened kegs in the pub and it said brewed in Ireland on them. Then I got a pint bottle in another pub which was an Irish pub, the barman apologised saying "sorry about the high price but it has to be imported from Ireland", he charged 4.30 or 4.50 and couldnt beleive it costs more at home! bottle also said brewed in Ireland, thats about 2 years back so maybe things have changed.

AFAIK bulmers is an actual type of apple (like granny smith).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Magners? Bulmers? Its all the same great cider.

Pass me another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

From the label on a pint bottle of Magners.....(to shut all this assumption ****e up :rolleyes: )
    Magners Original, Produced in Ireland,
    By WM Magner Ltd Clonmel.
    on the back
    Produced by WM Manger Ltd Clonmel, Ireland
    Imported by Hollwood and Donnelly, Belfast, N.I

And I've seen it in Holland and Germany as Magners from Ireland....

I contacted Bulmers about this topic and to see if I could get a tour of their plant earlier in the year.
    From an Email dated Thur24/06/04

Thank you for your enquiry.

Bulmers Original Irish Cider is only made and available in the Republic of
    Ireland as Bulmers Ltd only owns the trademark for the brand in this
    country. We have developed Magners Original Irish Cider which is brewed using the exact same process abroad and sold internationally. Magners and Bulmers are identical in terms of product taste and characteristics.

Tours of Annerville in Clonmel, County Tipperary are only undertaken for
    particular groups associated with the trade, it is not open to the public.

You may contact Bulmers in Annerville for further information -

Tel: 00353 - 52 - 72100

Kind regards.
    Anna Murphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

that clears everything up!!! although i would really like a tour of that great place, i pass the place every day (i live in clonmel) and i always drink it just to support local employment etc... :D

That's whay I got in touch, wanted to get a tour of the place and see those massive vats up close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i have a dream to drown in one of those!!! headlines "local man drowns in a cider vat, he put up a great struggle and fought off any attempt to rescue him"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭steviem

I have a friend who manages a pub near Glasgow. He says that Magners has become the new in drink with the young crowd, well outselling breezers and smirnoff ice on a good day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

this reminds me of that bit in Catch 22 where yer man is going on about wanting rosey cheeks so he sticks apples in 'em, only to find that they were actually little balls (not apples) and stuck in his hands (not his cheeks)...or something like that...
    Heh, that brings back old memories

Well I got in touch again and here is what they had to say. I guess this puts the argument to rest for good.

Yes, Bulmers is only produced in the Republic of Ireland. Magners is
    identical to Bulmers in terms of product taste and characteristics and its
    branding, packaging and promotional strategy are based on the marketing
    approach which has been so successful for the Bulmers brand in Ireland.
    The export brand of Bulmers has only changed in name, keeping identity
    linkages with the flagship Bulmers brand.

Magners is produced in the UK, Europe and the US.

Kind regards.

Advertisement