Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot economy tyres? WOuld you buy?

Options
  • 22-09-2004 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

Ok, i got a class deal for a set of alloys off me local Peugeot dealer.
    Ive a 306. The tyres there gonna stick on them are E50. Here they are, http://www.peugeot.ie/html/aftersales/tyres.asp

Will they do the job, or are they ****? I only do 10/12000 miles pa, so dont mind spending a bit more for a better set as they`ll last me a while.

Anyone reccommend what tyres to get. They must be the spec of: 175/65/14

thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

they are an economy tyre but should be ok, possibly designed for longevity rather than extra adhesion. Me, I would prefer to get a decent tyre under me as it is the only thing keeping me on the road!
    Compare tyre prices for alternatives on www.eiretyres.com before you decide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Personally, I'd steer clear of economy tyres, it's worth the extra few €'s to get a decent set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Heres what eiretyres found for me:

Goodyear
    All season tyres EAGLE VECTOR EV-2
    175/65 R14 82H M+S marking RRP price*: EUR 114,00
    With eiretyres.com only EUR 90,60

Prices includes postage, packing and VAT within Ireland.
    So E90.60c is the final price???

rander00 wrote:
    So E90.60c is the final price???

Not really, it will cost you about €10 to get each one fitted, and that's if you can find someone willing to fit them. Phone around a few places first. I got 2 Bridgestone tyres supplied and fitted yesterday for less than what eiretyres.com would have cost me.

Sure, maybe ill just ask Peugeot to throw on 1 of their better quality tyres, instead of them economy yokes.

By the time, buy tyres elsewhere and then pay some1 to fit them, it`ll have cancelled out the price difference.

• Advertisement

rander00 wrote:
    Sure, maybe ill just ask Peugeot to throw on 1 of their better quality tyres, instead of them economy yokes.

By the time, buy tyres elsewhere and then pay some1 to fit them, it`ll have cancelled out the price difference.

Try some tyre places first, dealer will prob. rip you off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

I work for a ford main dealer, what we sell in abundance are whAt we call middle of the road tyres. GT CHAMPARO.. main suppliers are Advance tyres. Excellent tyres, Now all our customers ever ask for are GT.

The mileage you do would not call for a brand name i.e MICHELIN,PIRELLI,BRIDGESTONE.

Find out the name of the tyres for me and i'll tell if they are good/bad whatever. ;)

Hiya, Fightin irish,,,

im not sure what make these economy ones are. Would they even be branded? I seen a little pug 106 today, and noticed it had "uniral" tyres. I hope there not them, cause a lad i know with them said there just ****e in the rain.

I think you mean 'Uniroyal' Yeah not the greatest but certainly not the worst i think. I suppose the price you should pay is roughly 60/65 euro each. This price should include fitting. Oh and as we say in the motor trade 'don't forget the Vodka and Tonic. V.A.T.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I work for a ford main dealer, what we sell in abundance are whAt we call middle of the road tyres. GT CHAMPARO.. main suppliers are Advance tyres. Excellent tyres, Now all our customers ever ask for are GT
    I can second this. I've had Champiro GTs on the front wheels of my Laguna for a while now. They have a treadwear number of 260 and I find them excellent in terms of grip and longevity. I notice no difference in grip between the GTs and the much more expensive Michelin Pilots that were on the car before. The GTs are also lasting longer. I predict I'll get 28-29k out of them which is pretty good going considering I don't swap my wheels around.

BrianD3

• Advertisement

Yeah Brian they really are a great little tyre!! I often hear our service dept. say Reps with 01/02/03 Mondeos asking especially for GT'S and these guys use 205/55vr16's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Yeah, that's the same size/spec. tyre that's on my car. Excellent tyres alright. I tell everyone I know how good they are :)

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

In my opinion it's always worth spending money on tyres. All that's keeping you on the road are 4 patches of rubber about the size of the palm of your hand, and it's definitely worth maximising the performance of that.

All other things being equal, the better the grip from a tyre, the poorer it's longevity will be as softer rubber gives better grip, especially in wet weather. Tread pattern also plays a part.

My car uses 175/65 R14 tyres (82T load rating) and had 2 directional tyres on the front from some manufacturer I'd never heard of (Contact I think). There were 2 Dunlops on the back nearing the end of their life. In March, I got rid of one of the Dunlops and kept the other (with about 2.5mm of tread) as a spare, moved the directional tyres to the back and stuck 2 Pirellis (P2000 which had been the spare, never used and P3000 bought new) on the front. The change was remarkable - more grip at the front, better steering feel and precision, and much more confidence inspiring performance in general. I'd never buy a budget tyre again.

Some of the weekly motoring magazines (Auto Express and Autocar in particular) regularly run tyre tests, and they usually recommend Pirellis particularly for wet-weather driving. Worth checking out.

I got them.
    There made by "Camac"! Seem grand,,, better than the yokes that were on it anyway. The alloys are class too. genuine peugeot.

Advertisement