Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI Cup Semi-final Draw

• 23-09-2004 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭

Here

The FAIreland Carlsberg Cup semi-final draw means the four sides involved with be reacquainting with old rivals sooner than expected with Derry City due to meet Waterford United and Longford Town down to face Drogheda United.

The two ties have already been played as League clashes in the last week with Longford beat Drogheda 1-0 at United Park while Derry and Waterford’s game at the Brandywell was abandoned after 17 minutes due to a floodlight failure with Waterford winning 1-0.

Both games will be broadcast on RTE television with Derry’s clash on Friday October 1 and Longford’s match on Sunday October 3.

Normally, the Brandywell hosts Greyhound racing on Friday night’s but Derry City chairman Jim Roddy had already arranged that the cancellation of next week’s meet with the Brandywell Greyhound Association.

Derry midfielder Ciaran Martyn stressed the importance of playing at home. “It’s a far better game for us to be playing at home. We’ve had a few games with them and they’ve been evenly balanced,” he said.

Waterford player-manager Alan Reynolds was also pleased with the draw. “Secretly we were hoping for an away draw because we seem to be playing better away at the moment,” he said.

“It is a bit of a trek up but we’ll take it. We’re just delighted to have got this far and no matter who or where we play at this stage, it is going to be tough.”

Longford Town manager Alan Mathews was delighted that the Cup holders had earned a home draw. “We’re happy it’s at home. It’s a one-off game and last week’s result wont come into it,” he said.

“We are doing well in the Cup. We’ve got some lucky draws – a fair few at home – and I think the confidence of doing well in the Cup has helped us a lot.”

His counterpart Paul Doolin also admitted he was perversely happy with the away draw. He said: “I think that in some ways we’ll prefer going away to them because they keep beating us at United Park.”

Hopefully with the cup ending up outside Dublin, all the culchies can quit their crap of a Dublin stranglehold on the senior game. It would be extremely annoying if Derry won it, and the Setanta Cup would be over before it starts. Hopefully Drogheda will win it, although they are punching above their weight in the league, they are the best team left in this cup, and the only one capable of avoiding embarrasment to the league in Europe.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Would like waterford to win it ,may help get back to the top where they should be.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

KdjaC wrote:
    Would like waterford to win it ,may help get back to the top where they should be.

kdjac

woo hoo! Nice one Kdjac. Hopefully this will be a blue year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I hate the idea of Waterford winning it, Reynolds is a scumbag.

Didn't know there had already been a thread on this. :o Actualyl had a look and didn't notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

One thing im not happy about is one of these sides will have to represent us in Europe , and im not sure if any of those sides will do that well .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Big Ears wrote:
    One thing im not happy about is one of these sides will have to represent us in Europe , and im not sure if any of those sides will do that well .

LMAO win 1 game and your all reigning supremo team, whoever wins the cup deserves their game in europe.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Big Ears wrote:

Id echo KDjac's comment. Whoever wins the cup does deserve to represent the country in Europe. Allez Les blues!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

KevIRL wrote:
    Id echo KDjac's comment. Whoever wins the cup does deserve to represent the country in Europe. Allez Les blues!

I agree in that sense its just I want Loi football to do very well in Europe and I don't feel any of these sides are capable of that .

But doing something like talking away the European place from the cup winners and giving it to a side that did well in the league is something I am against , because the winners deserve they're chance no matter how successful they may be .

Obvoiusly whoever wins the cup deserves their game in Europe, but ideally we don't want the league shamed, Longford did it this season, and I could see Waterford or Derry doing it next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Drogheda would do the best for us out of those 4 teams IMHO. Look at Waterfords recent runs with Rockmount to support me not wanting them anywhere near another team that know what a football is! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement