Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Symantec WinFAX Pro - a rant

Options
  • 23-09-2004 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Just a little while ago I needed to send a fax, and couldn't get my fax machine to work. So I remembered I had a copy of WinFAX Pro 10 knocking around, found it and began to install it.

It took 25 minutes to install, what a joke!! During this it asked me about 15 to 20 questions, most of which were irrelevent, then it proceeded to do the Live Update crap. After this when I tried to send a fax, it told be to go configure my modem, but no advice on how. In the end I copped that it hadn't recognised my modem (internal, laptop) during the install, and would not recognise it now.

It took up 50Mb of space. 50Mb, just to send a poxy fax! What were they thinking?

So I unistalled it. This took about 10 minutes of constant drive activity and about 10 more stupid questions, along the lines of 'Do you want to delete the WinFAX folder?' - What the hell would I be doing uninstalling it and keeping the folder for? It had already asked me did I want to keep the folder where fax messages were stored, :rolleyes:.

In summary, what a pile of crap. I can't believe such a simple program can be so bulky and have so many needless install and uninstall questions. This has totally put me off Symantec products.

Er, anyone know of some good, small (and free) fax software?

Cheers,

Robbie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

sounds familiar for a lot of crappy software that should be blacklisted.

I remember having to send a fax some time ago and decided to use MS word 97 fax wizard but couldn't find the CD.
    So after a quick search online i got a prog called Mighty Fax it was a 30 day trial but worked very well.

Advertisement