Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COMREG ban 13 countries from phone list

Options

Comments

Saw that, theres a thread here about it.
    Note the humming and hawing by some of the un named teleco's mentioned in the comreg pdf on the subject.
    They would appear to be doing as much arm chancing as the inventers and proliferaters of the dialers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Here's the thing though, the countries are banned, but a customer can ring up their teleco to unblock a number from those countries. Naturally a good thing for legit numbers, but once one person unblocks it, it becomes unblocked across the board.

Has no one thought that maybe the scammers might just ring up with their dial up number and claim it to be a friend? I'm not sure if ComReg have a way of stopping this, but I don't think they do.

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It is up to the telco to confirm that the number is a voice only number according to the news report.

However it does beg the question what happens if the scammer pretends it is a voice phone for say 2 weeks then has the dialers ring it.

Based on the list, they should make it operator only to access those countries.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Does it not unblock them on a customer-by-customer basis? i.e. if six people want to ring their friend Hana'apuni in Wallis and Futuna they each have to ring their phone company?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Here's a follow-up:
    http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/topstories/4075145?view=Eircomnet

Some of these countries ain't too happy about this. Looks like they may take it up with the World Trade Organisation.

Guess i've got some reading to do; didn't think a small country like Ireland would be of significant importance to their economies. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Hobbes wrote:
    However it does beg the question what happens if the scammer pretends it is a voice phone for say 2 weeks then has the dialers ring it.
    If someone gets scammed, the telco is responsible for the charges now. It's in their interest to make sure scammers stay blocked.
    Does it not unblock them on a customer-by-customer basis? i.e. if six people want to ring their friend Hana'apuni in Wallis and Futuna they each have to ring their phone company?
    Nope - once a telco unblocks a number, it is unblocked for all that telco's customers.
    Champ wrote:
    Some of these countries ain't too happy about this. Looks like they may take it up with the World Trade Organisation.
    If they took it up with the thieving bastards that operate the scams, the blocks wouldn't be there in the first place. Read the submissions - note that none of the countries in question offered to do anything about the problem.

Advertisement