Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New BMW 1 Series service cost

Options
  • 23-09-2004 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭

I don't know if any of you have heard the ads on Today FM for Capital Cars in Tullamore promoting the new 1 series - with Gordan Darcy I think

But the hook to get you to buy from them is the first years servicing for free, which they claim is worth over €1000 - I think they say €1150.

That seems shockingly expensive for any new car, when there should be very little that would need doing in year one.

In fact the sort of price would put me off buying from them or getting a Beemer anywhere if that price level is the norm. I know they're a Main Stealer - but really you'd expect a Balaclava and a gun to be involved.

Thoughts anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Are you sure that's for one year? I think they are doing a five year deal in some countries, €1150 sounds more like five years of servicing. I hope :p

I'm test driving a 1 Series next week, no intention of buying one whatsoever, just wanna see what the craic is.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

www.bmw.ie
    it is a 100K km or 5 year warranty!
    "Within the first five years or 100,000 km of registration, this comprehensive service package covers the following:
    All routine engine oil changes
    All routine servicing in accordance with the Service Interval Indicator and the onboard computer.
    Brake servicing, including the replacement of brake fluid, pads and discs
    Replacement of air-filters, micro-filters and spark plugs
    Windscreen wiper blades as part of routine maintenance
    Full terms and conditions are listed below."

In fairness it is not a bad offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not a bad offer, as it is free :)

I reckon it's a smart move to get people into buying the BMW that would never have gone near it, thinking it would be expensive to buy, run, service, etc

They weren't wrong as the few main stealers charge a fortune for a service. Bog standard service for a V8 engined car (without changing parts) is about €500

At least with BMW you know what a service is. Many dealers for other manufacturers treat a service as something where oil and filters are changed. My wifes Peugeot goes for a service and the dealer doesn't even consider brake fluid or coolant changes!
    BMW have three different types of service - oil, inspection I & inspection II, each are enforced to high standards by the manufacturer.
    my 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

kbannon wrote:
    www.bmw.ie
    it is a 100K km or 5 year warranty!
    "Within the first five years or 100,000 km of registration, this comprehensive service package covers the following:
    In fairness it is not a bad offer!

Actually that's a bloody good offer, not the Capital Car ones in particular, but for all BMWs using the info:
    Model Price
    BMW 5 Series €1,355
    BMW 6 Series €1,995
    BMW 7 Series €1,995
    BMW X3 €1,765
    BMW X5 €1,765
    BMW Z4 €1 ,155

It would seem that CCars should make their ad a bit clearer - thiugh it could just be me being slow this morning

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    At least with BMW you know what a service is

True. Inspection II coming up next year again!

kbannon, do you have any links handy to what exactly is involved in the different services for the different models?

I just have a full one for the E30 (http://www.bmwe30.net/cgi-bin/datacgi/database.cgi?file=articles&report=view&ID=00006&Section=14) - the schedule for my E39 is in the drivers manual.
    Others are similar to this (http://www.autobodyshop.net/BMWScheduledService.htm#BMW%20Inspection%201)

Thanks for the links. Came across the following generic BMW inspection I and inspection II detailed lists here

Note to self: must also RTFM :rolleyes:

unkel wrote:
    Thanks for the links. Came across the following generic BMW inspection I and inspection II detailed lists here

Note to self: must also RTFM :rolleyes:
    LOL :D
    If you are planning on DIY, I have a service reset tool. What year is your tank?

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    LOL :D
    If you are planning on DIY, I have a service reset tool. What year is your tank?

No DIY here :)

Tank is late '96 - inspection II planned for Q2 2005 @125k miles

You might know: on several websites there is the distinction between newer and older BMW's. For newer BMW's recommend service intervals are much longer.

Some sites state the manufacturing year it changed is 1999, others state it is 1996. Which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Borzoi wrote:
    It would seem that CCars should make their ad a bit clearer - thiugh it could just be me being slow this morning

If it's any consolation, I thought the exact same thing on hearing the ad: 'that's a damn expensive service.'

A friend said the same thing (a years free servicing) and was surprised when I told him that in fact they all come with fiveyears. It seems to be a misleading advert (haven't heard it)
    @ Unkel - not aware of any real change. Older cars user a service indicator like in the pic below where the closer to a service you get the more of the 5 green LEDs go out until eventually you get an amber and then a red.
    Figure6.jpg
    Newer ones count down the mileage though but in similar logic. There is no set duration between servicing - it is based on driving style, etc (I think largely on how the injectors are being operated) and therefore identical cars can be significantly different in the service intervals.

Advertisement