Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Web Address

• 23-09-2004 9:13am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As some of you from foot.ie know I've been working on an information site to help Irish fans heading across to Paris this October for the French game.

What I need though is a good web address name, something funny/catchy, involving maybe Paris/Ireland/Soccer of something.

*mods please move this if you feel it's in the wrong section though I thought that the gang in this lounge would help me more than others :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

liathroidi.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

frogkicking.ie
    AnIrishToadInParis.ie

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Hey not bad :)

Though it'll be a .com address.

Paying 90€ for a .ie address as opposed to 9€ for a .com is more my thing !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

travellinggreens.com?

kerrsarmy.com?

vivalagreens.com?

www.TravellingGreens.com

sounds pretty good to me as I can still use it after the match :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Ponster wrote:
    www.TravellingGreens.com

sounds pretty good to me as I can still use it after the match :)

Sweet ;)

I'll need as much info as I can get before I get to Paris!

/Kone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Ponster, I presume this is your site?:
    http://paul.egan.neuf.fr/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Info???
    Fly in, go to boozer, get pissed, watch game, get pissed, fly home, watch game on video so as you can have a clue when people are talking about it. Always works for me. The site's a good idea generally, but FFS this is just one game. I have a feeling this is going to be like the Swiss away game last year, every man and his dog will be there, just to see the stadium and to see France more than to support Ireland. Should still be a good one though. :D

Bateman wrote:
    I have a feeling this is going to be like the Swiss away game last year, every man and his dog will be there, just to see the stadium and to see France more than to support Ireland.
    There'll be far more Irish in Paris than there was in Switzerland. I'd put a figure of around 30-35 thousand. There are thousands of Irish in London alone and all they have to do is hop on the train and they're in Paris. You'd be doing well to find an Irish football fan in London that day. :D

Look at the amount of foot.ie'ers going and counting:
    http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=17701

I think 30-35 is a little much. I agree there will be a lot more than were in Switzerland, but the principle is the same. It won't be the hardcore, and the singing will be watered down accordingly. I'd say between 20 and 25.

• Advertisement

Yeah eirebhoy, that's my site. I'm regged here as ptegan too but lost my password a LONG time ago and rereged with 'ponster'.

Well done to Hagar and Zag who pm'd me with ideas as they don't have posting rights here yet.

Bateman wrote:
    every man and his dog will be there, just to see the stadium and to see France more than to support Ireland. Should still be a good one though. :D

Do you mean that people are only going over just because we're playing against France (meaning that if it was against Belgium people wouldn't bother)?

Yes. While it's natural and logical, it's annoying. 50% won't even be football fans.

But......

I would have thought that anyone who was interested in football would go along to the match. Who cares if they didn't sit in the rain for 90 minutes during ther 80's. I'd much prefer to be in at Stade de France with 20+ thousand Irish fans even if 50% were there just because it's France rather than be there with just 5,000 hardcore fans.

Does it really matter than they really aren't fans?

Bateman wrote:
    I think 30-35 is a little much. I agree there will be a lot more than were in Switzerland, but the principle is the same. It won't be the hardcore, and the singing will be watered down accordingly. I'd say between 20 and 25.

Quote from FAI site:

FRANCE V REPUBLIC OF IRELAND OCTOBER 9th 2004
    Application forms for the France away game were available on the FAIreland website and also by contacting the ticket office up until the 30th of July. FAIreland received an allocation of 19,000 for this game.

Orders in excess of 25,000 were received prior to the closing date and we are no longer accepting applications.

ONLINE APPLICATIONS
    Confirmations have been sent via e-mail.

POSTAL APPLICATIONS
    Confirmations have been sent by post.

Tickets will be issued in the week commencing 27th September.

Considering there will thousands more going through travel agencies, making there own way there (there was thousands of tickets booked online by the Irish alone), going from the UK, etc. the total should be around 30,000-35,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Thats a good site you found eirebhoy..

Heading over the match myself.. A friends, friends brother owns Corcorans in Montmatre so will be there alot.. There is at least 15 Irish lads going over.. Booked a hotel just south of Place de Clichy called Hotel Antin Trinite. Do you know this hotel? Its on Rue de Provence.

OK, I bought www.TravellingGreens.com for a nice 13€ and it should be pointing to http://paul.egan.neuf.fr/ within about 48 hours I guess.

If there's anything you'd like to see on the site then let me know :)

Thats a good site you found eirebhoy..
    Ponster opened a similar thread to this on Foot.ie so I found it there. Praise goes to Ponster. :D

Here's a little guide from simongeary.tv I just found:
    So the Green Army marches on again and this time we will be invading France, onto the beaches of Normandy and into Paris just like the Nazi's did back in 1942. Well, maybe not exactly like the Nazi's but it will be an invasion as around thirty thousand Irish fans (My estimate exactly :) ) swarm into Paris. With the FAI receiving an allocation of nineteen thousand tickets and with most other fans buying tickets through a variety of French websites, expect to hear more of "Allez les Verts" than "Allez les Bleus".

With Paris being the City of Love many fellas have conned their girlfriends into going on a romantic weekend but for others it will be all about the footie and the craic. The game doesn't kick off until nine so that leaves plenty of time to see the sights. I know for many people the only sights they will see is the bottom of a glass but there is plenty to do outside the bars. The Eiffel Tower is worth checking out and other good tourist spots are the Louvre, Montmartre and Arc de Triomphe. So after going to all these sights, museums and art galleries a man might be a little thirsty.

Paris has plenty of Irish pubs and many of these are the best pubs in the city. Some of the best are The Hideout, McBrides which opens until 4 a.m., Flann O'Briens which has a good pint of Guinness for a fiver and St John's Tavern. Probably the best Irish pub is Corcorans de Clichy (The best Irish pub in Parish JTG! Hope you're paying the full price for a pint ;) ) on bld de Clichy. A pint is about 4.50, it always has live music and the girls from the Moulin Rouge go in there for a few dirty pints of Guinness after their shows.

Paris has plenty more nightlife outside of the Irish bars. These range from common as muck to classy as ****. One of the classier bar/nightclubs is the Buddha Bar. It is expensive and you need to dress well to get in but it could be worth a look. If you fancy throwing on the dancing shoes and getting down to some house and techno then the Rex Club is definitely the place to go. This is the home of Laurent Garnier and Daft Punk and has been open since 1984. Its 12 bucks to get in and drinks average at around 8. (and I thought we were being ripped off :eek: ) The Moulin Rouge on Montmarte is worth a look for the caberet but if you fancy something a bit more riskier the Crazy Horse Saloon is the place to go.

If you want to go even sleazier than this the main Red Light District is past Montmarte in the Pigalle area. Be careful around here too because there are plenty of dodgy characters around here who are only too eager to fleece you of your hard earned money. If you happen to get hungry at anytime Paris is full of restaurants and luckily enough they're not all full of snails and frog legs.If you shop around a bit you will be able to get a good meal for around the same price as home.

So after all of this craic it is time to get back to the reason why everybody is going - THE MATCH. The Stade de France is situated in the Saint Denis area of Paris. It is easy to get to either by RER Train, Metro or bus.You can get a B train to La Plaine Stade de France or a D train to Stade de France-St Denis. If you go on the metro get on line 9 to Pont de Sevres or line 10 to Boulogne-Port de Saint Cloud. Also, you can get a bus 22,72 and 62 to Port de St Cloud or a 32 or 52 to Port d'Auteil.

So hopefully we will all be coming home following an Irish victory and with the amount of fans going over and the state of the French team this is not an impossibility. Remember if you see me and the lads over there say hello. We'll be handing out cards and you never know if your lucky we might buy you a pint.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Ponster opened a similar thread to this on Foot.ie so I found it there. Praise goes to Ponster. :D

Cheers Eirebhoy...I still think it looks a bit unorganised though. Lots of information but you need to work at it in order to get to what's important to you.

Just one or two corrections to to your post...

Flann O'Briens closed (RIP) Sept '03. Shame as it was the second oldest, open for 15 years and had the finest pint of black in town.

Corcorans de Clichy is an ok bar. Pretty big and always a good crowd there and food to be had too. Things is though that it's been a while since the pint has been at 4.50. In Happy Hour maybe, but it's more like 6.50 now. But in that part of town there really aren't any bars offering anything much cheaper than that. still though, if you're in Pigalle, and wanted to go out with a load of other Irish then it's the place to be :)

I'll do a quick run of the bars next week and update the price lists on www.parispubs.com (my other site).

Ahh, just saw that his prices are in punt, not euro.

I stand corrected !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Will hopefully be getting a few cheap ones ;)

Good site Ponster!

Just updated the site for those travelling across this weekend.....

www.travellinggreens.com

Heard the news about the tickets. Hope you get sorted out.

Cheers. It looks good to get them abck now. Just have to wait until Sat and pick them up at Stade de France !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ponster wrote:
    If there's anything you'd like to see on the site then let me know :)

More pics of your girlfriend!! She is mighty fine!! ;)

Good site though!

B.

It made its way around in its 2 or so weeks up. It was mentioned in the Star and its now on the FAI website:
    http://www.fai.ie/article.asp?hlid=230006&Title=Ireland+Fans+Paris+Information&lid=Main+News&sub=Ireland+Fans+Paris+Information&navlid=&sublid=

Its on most Irish football websites too.

Hopefully there'll be TV camera's at the Eifell Tower on Saturday afternoon, I'd love to see it full of Green Shirts. The tourists won't know what hit them. :D

Advertisement