Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[article]Ireland sees $25bn inflows to beat trend

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Meh, assault is certainly an antisocial act; but not all antisocial acts are listed by the Gardai as assaults. Rapes for example, are a seperate category. As are homicides, drink driving offences and a multitude of other antisocial acts where alcohol is a contributing or factor or primary cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.
    ...like what have the Romans, sorry British ever done for us? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Cork wrote:
    I agree. It is about time that we had more competition.

Yeah, because the insurance and baking sectors are such a great example of prices tumbling in the face of competition...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

daveirl wrote:
    Mmm, Brennan's and Pat The Baker appear to have a regular cartel of quality bread going on[1].

Banking industry isn't that competitive either.

Meanwhile I still find it hilarious that competition is touted by anyone as the ultimate solution to rising prices. Especially in an economy of our size. Are we touting pure supply-side economics again? Is it 1986 already? Did we read beyond page 100 of the Big Lego Guide To Modern Macroeconomics? Obviously competition in an open market is good but it's not a panacea so it's always painful to see it touted as such.

(and what all this has to do with the original thread article I don't know but I suppose it's your circus)

[1]Except for that nice wholemeal bread with the nuts in it that one can get from Dunnes or Lidl. Nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

All I know about 'rip-off' Ireland is that as far as 'disposable income' and standards of living go, both were much MUCH higher for me while I lived in the States. I earned far more for a less-taxing job, and despite living in the Bay Area (some of the highest rents in the US, though not far above Dublin's current prices!) saved far more money each month than I do here AND enjoyed a better social and recreational life. As someone else posted in an earlier thread, although Ireland now has a high income-per-capita figure, the average worker is not particularly wealthy, as we are not saving enough - partly due to how amazingly expensive it is to live here!
    I am considering emigrating to Canada in a few years (in some part dependant on how housing prices move here) and know that although I will be earning less than I would in Dublin, I will have a much higher standard of living.

Advertisement