Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post Company Car Insurance

Options
  • 23-09-2004 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I am currently driving a company car so have no concerns over insurance at the moment. What has been at the back of my mind is what happens when I go back to insuring a private car (not imminent btw) in terms of the premiums?

I have heard cases of people being treated as drivers with zero experience when going from a company car to a private one. I had 4 years of driving on my own insurance pre current position, one or two claims but no serious accidents, so unfortunately I only had two years no claims before going on the company policy.

Basically what I want to know is whether your driving experience on a company policy matters a toss to getting a quote for private insurance or whether it is back to scratch?

Cheers,

K-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Kell wrote:
    Folks,

I am currently driving a company car so have no concerns over insurance at the moment. What has been at the back of my mind is what happens when I go back to insuring a private car (not imminent btw) in terms of the premiums?

It depends on the fleet policy that your company has - basicly if there is a clear record of you being insured on the policy, and having no claims on that policy as a result of you. Then you shoul be able transfer your good record.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

A mate of mine had a company car for a few years but decided to move jobs
    and didnt get a car with his new job. The insurance company said that it would
    accept a letter from his previous employers insurance company stating the
    years of claim free driving and as a result he got a discount. Not as much as a
    a full no claims but its still something.

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I went through this. Fleet policies won't have you named on the policy. Get a letter from your employer saying that you have not been involved in any claims, make sure the fleet policy number is specified in the letter.

Now the clever bit - take out insurance with the same company, it is very difficult for them not to honour their own "no claims" history. They might be a little dearer than shopping about but after the first year you can go anywhere else with no grief as you will then have a full history on your policy. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I had a similar experience. I have a licence for over 10 years. I was insured on a company policy between 94 and 00. Then I went away for a year and a half and when I came back didn't buy a car until 03. As far as insurance companies were concerned I was almost the same as an 18yr old male getting behind the wheel for the first time. Eventually took a quote from €1200 from FBD (fully comp) and that came down to €950 approx this year.

It's probably not a bad idea to be a named driver on a family members policy to keep your presence in the "private" insurance market. Some insurance companies will accept your commercial driving insurance history provided the policy is with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Cheers folks.

All useful information.

K-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Private insurance market? HAH!

I was insured for 6 years named with allianz and when I tried to get my own cover with them they told me their policy was that they do not insure any drivers with less than 3 years no claims. The fact that I had been driving with them for 6 made no difference - it was not in my own name. "So how so I get insured with you then?" "You don't."

As a result no other company would give me any no-claims at all and I stared my own policy as a 23yo who had never driven a car before.

Fúcking wánkers. The lot of them. AARRRRRGGGGHHH!

Ok I'm going to look for something to destroy.

Advertisement