Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Services Disabled

Options
  • 23-09-2004 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, here's a wierd one...
    My gf's family PC is in a jock-heap at the moment, or at least it was until I straightened it out.

Somehow, all the services were disabled, so they couldn't use the PC for anything (music, internet, printing). So I enabled all the services and it work's OK now. The funny thing is, when you open task manager and list the processes, you expect to see a username beside each process, but no name is listed beside any of them. Also, if I click the 'users' tab, there is no one listed there. I know I'm logged on because I chose one of the users from the nice picture list on the welcome screen. Something fishy there methinks.

I can't even begin to offer an explanation as to what is going on, so I am recommending that they save what they want to some CDs and I will re-install everything just to be on the safe side.

Has anyone seen anything like that before? I did a sweep with the anti-virus, ad-aware and spybot and found some stuff which was all cleaned and removed, but the same funniness still persists

thanks

KR

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭MazdaMan

On the processes issue I came across it once before found that the User Name section was hidden from view. The guy wanted to see what other info was to the right

Place the cursor between the Image Name and CPU section headings and and the cursor will change to a cross with arrows left and right.

Click on it and slide the section to the right till you can see the Username section.

Also check under the View option in Task Manager and click Select Columns, make sure User Name is ticked.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

well you've covered most of the checklist for dodgy puters
    1) run a reinstall - repair . in case there are lost or deleted system files
    2) windows update
    3) avg virus scan
    4) personl firewall (kerio is good)
    5) Spybot seek and destroy

Hope this helps

Fionn

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

MazdaMan wrote:
    On the processes issue I came across it once before found that the User Name section was hidden from view. The guy wanted to see what other info was to the right

Place the cursor between the Image Name and CPU section headings and and the cursor will change to a cross with arrows left and right.

Click on it and slide the section to the right till you can see the Username section.

Also check under the View option in Task Manager and click Select Columns, make sure User Name is ticked.

Hi MazdaMan,
    I can see the list no problem, there is one process with a user name beside it, System or System Idle (can't remember which) and it has system as the username, which I think is normal. Thanks anyway

Advertisement